Suggestions for DIY investing

World Traveler

Recycles dryer sheets
I think I am going to fire my broker. Suggestions on DIY? Experiences with Vanguard or Fidelity? Do you invest in their mutual funds that they suggest based on the questions they ask?

I think I am going to fire my broker. Suggestions on DIY? Experiences with Vanguard or Fidelity? Do you invest in their mutual funds that they suggest based on the questions they ask?
That's like saying "I'm going to fire the car salesman down at the dealership who is trying to sell me a car". Are you aware that brokers don't legally work for you? That's why he isn't charging you directly. Google fiduciary duty VS suitability standard.
Index investing is a smart way to go. I invest in VOO and AGG. That's basically it. Vanguard's and Ric Edelman's portfolio selectors are helpful in giving you a good idea as to how much to allocate in bond ETF VS stock ETF.

I prepared for DIY by reading The Boglehead's Guide to Investing. I read a bunch of other material but this book provided a good framework.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I started my investments DIY in the early 1980's with advice from various people, including our 401k guy. I took an investment course, got my business degree with focus on finance, and read several books including Bogleheads Guide to Investing. (Still refer to this book). Also talked with vanguard rep's. I've tweaked my investments and AA through the years based on these conversations and readings.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I prepared for DIY by reading The Boglehead's Guide to Investing. I read a bunch of other material but this book provided a good framework.

Haven't read the book, but more or less am a Boglehead as I seem to have stumbled into that scheme of investing over the years. Now a member of the BH forum, it's how I do things.

Vanguard... Total Stock and Total International... TSP G fund. Investing made simple and very cost effective.

Haven't read the book, but more or less am a Boglehead as I seem to have stumbled into that scheme of investing over the years. Now a member of the BH forum, it's how I do things.

Vanguard... Total Stock and Total International... TSP G fund. Investing made simple and very cost effective.

My TSP account is made up of the indexes.

I noticed my returns from TSP and company 401k were better than my FA's.

I noticed my returns from TSP and company 401k were better than my FA's.
And did you get one of those guaranteed income riders? If so then do you see 2 "return" values on your statement? The way that you evaluate an investment is by calculating return on investment. With these annuities it is typical that what really matters -- your cash surrender value (which determines ROI) becomes substantially less over time.

Back
Top Bottom