Suggestions how I can help local unemployed and small businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Like everywhere my area has many unemployed and my state is very slow to send unemployment checks. There are also many small businesses struggling to stay afloat and most have not received any Payroll Protection Act money (seems that most of that money went to big businesses).

I would like to help these people and I am looking for suggestions of ways to do it. I am not a very wealthy person but I am fortunate to have some extra money I can use to help folks (including my stimulus money if it ever comes). So far I have donated to local food banks and a group helping feed students. I have also donated to a fund to help buy masks, etc for medical personnel. I am buying some meals from local restaurants and giving larger than normal tips. I have also helped set up go fund me accounts for local nonprofits. I have continued to pay my housekeeper even though I have asked her not to come.

But I somehow feel this is not enough. Any suggestions? What are others on this Forum doing to help the unemployed and small businesses?

You are doing plenty to help your local area, thank you!

Other ideas we are doing/have done:
purchase gift cards
donate to local humane society or animal rescue
utilize more curbside pick up/take out of local small food business
increase normal charitable contributions

... Any suggestions? What are others on this Forum doing to help the unemployed and small businesses?
You might have a local community foundation: "dedicated to improving the lives of people in a defined local geographic area." (https://www.cof.org/foundation-type/community-foundations-taxonomy)

We donate though a local community foundation that has mounted a special response:
"The Community Response Fund provides maximum flexibility and responsiveness to aid 501(c)3 nonprofits assisting community members who face financial uncertainty stemming from efforts to contain the virus. Examples include, but are not limited to, agencies that provide access to food and health-related services, serve vulnerable populations such as seniors, aid those experiencing homelessness, and support learning and child care needs. One hundred percent of donations to the Community Response Fund will go directly to organizations serving those in need due to the pandemic."
The nice thing about a community foundation is that is not a big behemoth. Ours has a total employment of four and we are on a first name basis with the director. If anyone knows about what you can do locally, they are the ones.

I hope you have one locally.

Last edited:
Yes, a local Foundation is a great place to call and ask about special fund accounts for times like these.
We have a local Foundation and I'm very proud to be a board member of that group that has an iCARE charity fund with in the Foundation that helps health workers in this time of need. It is to help with extra income and to help for sitters and food etc..

Last week we transferred money to that account to help many in need right now in our local health system.

We also have done many of the same things you have done also for your community as well.

It is always a pleasure and a honor to be able to help when so many need that extra in these hard times.
Thanks you for helping in so many ways.

OP here, I will look to see if we have a community foundation. Thanks for all the suggestions--keep them coming!

I was able to search the internet and find several websites or news articles on how to help at both my city and the state level. There are all sorts of city programs on assisting the unemployed, etc. with utilities and rent and other suggestions for donating time, money, or goods. And a statewide fund administered by community foundations that includes grants for small businesses. Most of my still to come stimulus money has already been donated to charity and their websites generally discuss whether there is a need due to COVID-19 and how the donations are being allocated.

@harllee, FWIW here is how our donations to the community foundation work: We donate via QCD to a "fund" on their books. We have given them general criteria for how we want the fund spent and they consult with us from time to time on ideas, but it is not officially a Donor-Advised Fund (DAF). This is important for us because QCDs cannot go to DAFs and a significant portion of our RMD $ go out as QCDs.

@harllee, FWIW here is how our donations to the community foundation work: We donate via QCD to a "fund" on their books. We have given them general criteria for how we want the fund spent and they consult with us from time to time on ideas, but it is not officially a Donor-Advised Fund (DAF). This is important for us because QCDs cannot go to DAFs and a significant portion of our RMD $ go out as QCDs.

OP here--thanks Old Shooter--interesting way to use your QCD, I will keep this in mind for when I can do QCDs. I am just a "young" age 68 not quite old enough for QCDs yet.

We chose to buy gift cards (some from businesses forced to close for the time being but I was able to reach a couple business owners who got it done) and donate to food banks. It's all local and can be put to use immediately.

Much admiration for the people continuing to pay housekeepers, day care, etc. even while not getting any services. Those people are often so vulnerable to income loss.

If you belong to a congregation - and even if you don't - the pastors or other clerical leaders always welcome a contribution, whether it be to shore up their Internet service/equipment for virtual services, to maintain the building with nobody in it, or to help families in need (pastors always know who those are). You know your gift is helping local people.

We live in a "Doorman" building and have been providing meals,snacks,etc for the workers as they cannot leave the building.
We have a housekeeper who used to come daily, have been paying her salary for the last two months. Not sure how we can safely bring her back?
We had a Nanny for 5 years that left our employ at the end of the year due to pregnancy. We prepaid her medical bills for the pregnancy and birth. 1 month before the baby was born she fell in the shower and had to be hospitalized until they could do a cesarean. As this was in the middle of Covid-19, we paid for a month in a private room and the operation. Baby is 2 weeks old and doing fine. We are trying to work out a plan so she and the baby can come and live with us as her Boyfriend is out of work and she could use the money and my Wife would love to have a baby girl in the apartment.

If you belong to a congregation - and even if you don't - the pastors or other clerical leaders always welcome a contribution, whether it be to shore up their Internet service/equipment for virtual services, to maintain the building with nobody in it, or to help families in need (pastors always know who those are). You know your gift is helping local people.

OP here-- we do belong to a Church (actually 2--one at our primary residence and one at our summer home) and we have been sending extra contributions to them, thanks for the reminder.

We live in a "Doorman" building and have been providing meals,snacks,etc for the workers as they cannot leave the building.
We have a housekeeper who used to come daily, have been paying her salary for the last two months. Not sure how we can safely bring her back?
We had a Nanny for 5 years that left our employ at the end of the year due to pregnancy. We prepaid her medical bills for the pregnancy and birth. 1 month before the baby was born she fell in the shower and had to be hospitalized until they could do a cesarean. As this was in the middle of Covid-19, we paid for a month in a private room and the operation. Baby is 2 weeks old and doing fine. We are trying to work out a plan so she and the baby can come and live with us as her Boyfriend is out of work and she could use the money and my Wife would love to have a baby girl in the apartment.
Wow, NYExpat, How generous. You deserve an extra star beside your name!!

^ Beautiful!

OP here-- this thread is lifting my spirits to see others on the Forum helping out folks in their community who need it. I have to admit I was getting depressed reading some of the other threads on the Forum where it seemed like it was every person for themselves.

OP here-- this thread is lifting my spirits to see others on the Forum helping out folks in their community who need it. I have to admit I was getting depressed reading some of the other threads on the Forum where it seemed like it was every person for themselves.

I agree with you! It’s good to see people helping!
We also increased our giving to our parish and to our Archdiocese. We give to Philabundance, which is a large food bank that also supplies smaller food banks in the Philadelphia area. We also support a homeless shelter in our area. We tip well when we order out, and will give the girl who cuts my hair a great tip when I see her again. We’ve had some maintenance work done from storm damage and made sure to pay quickly.
Every little bit helps! Thanks for the reminder!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom