Sunday anxiety-work related

I've never had the "sunday anxiety". For me, it's the "monday morning dread" where I just really really wish I could go back to sleep instead of getting up and going to work. Only 5 years or so to go...

Yep, had them my whole life, going back to grade school. Of course, If I had ever bothered to do my homework, perhaps my dread would have been lessened, at least during those years. But I always had a stronger preference for doing "whatever I want, whenever I want" over having to get up while still sleepy, so I could be doing something I had to do.

Yep, had them my whole life, going back to grade school.

+1

Me too. I clearly remember Sunday afternoons never being as enjoyable as Saturdays because the threat of returning to school loomed so ominously.

So in hindsight I guess I first wanted to retire when I was about 7 years old.

Definitely had the Sunday blues with difficulty sleeping. Not sure why as I enjoyed my job for the most part. My last year was the worst as I was ready to leave pronto!

As I write this on Sunday afternoon, I have started to feel the typical anxiety related to going back to work on Monday. This happens to me just about every Sunday. You may know what I mean by that, where your mind starts to think about work related issues and you begin to problem solve what you anticipate will be the first problems you'll face in the coming day. It's not overwhelming, but as a typical "planner" I seem to do this naturally. I look forward to the time when this no longer happens to me. That time should be coming within the next year for me, but maybe not that soon for some others who are getting close or hoping for an early out.
The reason for my post is an attempt to encourage others (as well as myself) that as we continue to make progress towards our own finish line, that we can power through these anxieties. I am trying to keep things in perspective and maintain a positive attitude. In my case its been 26+ years of climbing the ladder to a sr. staff position in the state system. I don't wish to "coast" my way out or be unproductive in my last year, so my approach is to try hard to create an attitude of being a good administrator, supervisor, and a mentor to my staff as well as trying not to sweat the small stuff. The changes and incompetence I encounter at work is more difficult to take these days and most is beyond my level of control, so its not worth the high stress levels anymore. I also have my small quarterly goals and symbols on my white board that I celebrate to myself that keeps me going. This is my plan moving forward and until my time comes, I'll just keep on keepin' on.
Plan B is to be confident in my ER numbers and timing, as that is my "kiss my a$$" card if I need to play it earlier than I really want.

I am curious if anyone who is already retired remembers the Sunday anxiety while working and how it finally felt to not experience that anymore?
Though I am coming up on 6 years retired, I certainly remember that Sunday anxiety creeping in every week, almost exactly as you describe in my case too. It took a month or two to subside, and probably at least 6 months before it was completely gone.

I also wanted to finish strong, and I was just as motivated in year 16 as I was in year 1 of my last position, even after a total of 35 years in the saddle. Unfortunately I stayed another 2 years, and though I believe I finished relatively strong, it was hard to not get a little cynical and occasionally more outspoken toward the very end. That's one of the things that helped my finally pull the plug, and not regret leaving for the most part. But I kept not letting my cynicism show with any of my team at my location as a high priority, I only let it show with a few bozos at our corporate offices in another state. It's a challenge we all face/faced. You do your best and hope you don't overstay your usefulness IME.

Last edited:
So, y'all had Sunday's off? Does that mean you only worked 6 day weeks? And here all this time I've been thinking this was a hard-working bunch.

TGL405,
Everything about me changes Sunday afternoons about 4PM !! It's gonna be a long 2 years till retirement. I'll have nearly 38 yrs with the same company. Last 5 years it's just changed drastically !!

+1

Me too. I clearly remember Sunday afternoons never being as enjoyable as Saturdays because the threat of returning to school loomed so ominously.

So in hindsight I guess I first wanted to retire when I was about 7 years old.

Come to think about it, maybe I did too. Maybe I'm always a bum, but this capitalist country has managed to wring out 35 working years out of me.

First of all I had to re-read the two posts that said they couldn't wait to get back to work. I'm sorry but from the first day I went to Kindergarten I never wanted to go to anything Monday morning.

I have to say this is probably the #1 reason I retired and the one thing I love most about retirement. I'm not going to say I didn't get a rush when I was booking lots of business an reaping the financial benefits but what we all know is the bigger you get the bigger the problems you get. Then every good or bad decision is worth a million bucks. I was the guy who cleared out everything after 4:00 and wanted no commitments on Sunday.

I think the worst part of Sundays was coming back from vacation then spending the remainder of the day unpacking, doing laundry, cleaning the camping and/or fishing gear, etc. Then you have to go back to work. In the end I would always return on Saturday so I could have one day to mentally gear up and have not commitments.

If asked, I wouldn't say that I consciously think about Monday work during Sunday night. But Sunday is typically the only night I ever have any problem getting to sleep right away, so I'm sure it's there subconsciously.

Well we made it through Monday and thank goodness I solved most of the days problems last night in my mind... I guess I'm good to go until next Sunday!
I'm going to calculate how many Sunday nights I have left and cross them off as I get through them and maybe that will help. By what many have said here I guess I'm not alone, and HOW SWEET it sounds to not have to "fear the dread" anymore...

First Sunday after retiring on Friday. I feel a little guilty not working on the Sunday report. When I say a little, I mean very little. [emoji3]

First Sunday after retiring on Friday. I feel a little guilty not working on the Sunday report. When I say a little, I mean very little. [emoji3]

Now that I am 5 months retired, I find myself looking forward to Monday's. The masses head to work and it is much easier to take care of errands or enjoy popular places that are crowded on Fri/Sat/Sun.

I hated Sundays starting after dinner when i was in lower school. When i was working i had the equivalent of Sunday blues whenever i swung into the midnight shift(we used to work around the clock), i used to kiss the bride good night she was off to bed and i was heading out into the night ,yuck i dont miss those days(nights). I love love love retirement.

I've never been a morning person...unless it is an extension of the prior evening! I try not to schedule anything before noon these days :)

Thanks for reminding me...I used to hate Sunday work anxiety. It was the absolute worst when I'd have to travel every Sunday to be at the job on Monday morning. During that time I used to get anxiety attacks just by driving past the airport. All those feelings went away the moment I RE'd - actually I think it took me exactly two days, from Friday to Sunday. It was the first big burden that was lifted.

Now, as others have said, I look forward to nice, quiet Mondays when all the moms and dads head to work and leave the beaches empty - and I can pick up the phone and get things done.

Back
Top Bottom