Surprisingly emotional today

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tomorrow is my last day, after 34 years at megacorp. My team is global, so we had a virtual conference call today for my farewell 'party'. It was very fun, and I was surprised that I wasn't able to speak when it was my turn. I got really emotional, and then of course everyone else did, asking me why I was retiring if I'm so sad about it.

All I could say was "because I can". One colleague said "thanks for rubbing it in". :cool:

Coming here and reading posts of those of you who have 'crossed over' and are loving it helps, but frankly I'm shocked at this sense of melancholy I'm experiencing.

I guess that I'm sad now, but won't be soon? :blush:

It's not surprising, that has been a big part of your life for 34 years and this is a big change. And yes, it does get better. Much better.

I had the emotions. They'll get better very soon. I had to find things I could quantify as being better. My first year I didn't miss the local traffic report on the news! I could see exactly where on I-70 I'd be stuck.

Today well, it's awesome being retired.

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm sure it can be bittersweet. I've worked side by side with my two partners for 31 years. I actually have spent more awake time with them than I have my wife. Enjoy!!

Coz

... I'm shocked at this sense of melancholy I'm experiencing.

No, that's good. You will get over it.

It's better this way, compared to when I quit, I was mad, not sad. :)

(And no, I left quietly, not yelling at anybody or raising a ruckus.)

Change is not easy, especially change to something you have been doing for decades. There is light on the other side though, and lots of it.

You may be reacting to the fact that you will miss the people, not the less pleasant aspects of corporate life.

Tomorrow is my last day, after 34 years at megacorp.

I got really emotional, and then of course everyone else did, asking me why I was retiring if I'm so sad about it.

Of course you are sad. You deserve to be. You are leaving long-time friends and acquaintances. And you are ending a 34-year routine that you probably enjoyed.

But yes, you will get over it. Likely soon.

I also had a "virtual" going away party after 31 years (although there were a handful in the room with me) and was similarly emotional. I had lunch with a couple of folks in the first six months after retiring and am still friends with a few on Facebook, but have generally had very little contact with former colleagues. Only got a couple of e-mails/phone calls for advice/info (except for several years later when I nearly had to testify in a lawsuit) - they will forget about you pretty quickly I suspect. Although 8 years later I still think about some aspects of my career occasionally, and there are rare times I miss some of the feelings of accomplishment for big projects, I have never regretted retiring when I did. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

You may be reacting to the fact that you will miss the people, not the less pleasant aspects of corporate life.

Agree, this is probably more what is making you feel more emotional about leaving. Even though it is a job, you develop the social relationships that are now ending as you leave the company.

I didn't get emotional but I can see how one could. In my case I was friends with a few before going to work there(small town) so I knew I would still be in touch with several even after I retired. So it was not like I was cutting off ties with all. But there were several I didn't mind cutting ties with so that probably helped with my easy transition. Ha.

I was the same way when retiring after 34 years at my mega corp. It was the only 'real' job that I ever had. Believe me, you will get over it and quickly. I did remain friends with my real friends and not so much with the work friends...

You can always meet your work friends for lunch, so you don't have to miss them at all.

And you can continue to rub it in by paying for lunch, too. :dance:

I'm taking my former boss to lunch later this week. In some sense, I am his mentor now.

Yeah I thinks its the people you will miss. The only "work" friends that I still communicate with consistently though are the guys from my first squadron in the Navy. I suppose it was because that was more than "just a job".

I didn't hate my company or my co-workers. I just didn't need (or want) to work anymore.

My "OMG, what have I done" doubt lasted a whole 10 minutes - :)

Congrats SumDay! It's a big change. This is the life and people you have known for decades. Despite all of the positive chat on the forum, it took me several months to restructure my life. It has been a positive change but change is always eventful/emotional/stressful. But, from the other side, I can assure you, I would not go back. :)

Congratulations. I hope that you enjoy your retirement as much as I do mine.

Attending your own retirement party is like attending your own wake. People tell stories about you and express affection that they might otherwise have never expressed. And 34 years, wow! That’s a whole lifetime of events that took place while you worked there. I’d be emotional too.

My longest employment was 14 years. I still go back to have lunch with one friend and I’m always amazed by how comfortable it feels to be there. Not what I expected.

Good luck in your transition

I worked mostly virtual, but one of my last in-office days at a campus several states away, that I considered like a 2nd work-home, at the last meeting that some folks would see me, some of them gave me some of those sad-face-goodbye-hugs. These are people I know I'll never see again because of geography, but respect and like.

I hid it, but I felt a bit choked up, and made a quick exit back to the office I was camping out in. I decided against doing any last round quick goodbyes, and called a friend I had plans with for the evening and said "let's go, now!"

You'll feel better tomorrow. Onward!

Congratulations! You've made it! And, as others have said here, you can still see your colleagues. This doesn't have to be the end of your friendships.

The only emotion I felt was relief putting all the BS behind me, So I was standing on the train platform with the remnants of my retirement cake. This was the last time I was going to take that train, and I had a grin from ear to ear.

Tomorrow is my last day, after 34 years at megacorp. My team is global, so we had a virtual conference call today for my farewell 'party'. It was very fun, and I was surprised that I wasn't able to speak when it was my turn. I got really emotional, and then of course everyone else did, asking me why I was retiring if I'm so sad about it.

All I could say was "because I can". One colleague said "thanks for rubbing it in". :cool:

Coming here and reading posts of those of you who have 'crossed over' and are loving it helps, but frankly I'm shocked at this sense of melancholy I'm experiencing.

You can still stay friends with your former colleagues. I still have lunches and dinners with some of mine. You will also make new friends in ER. I volunteer daily at the animal shelter and the dogs there are more ecstatic to see me than any of my former coworkers ever have and I enjoyed a really good corporate work life! I also have made other friends who are also retirees. We go out to lunches, long walks at the beach or the park, visit museums during the middle of a weekday, learn how to paint watercolors, exchange seeds for herbs and flowers in our gardens. All sorts of fun things to do.

Stay in touch with your former colleagues as much as it feels natural to do so and also make new friends. Your melancholy won't last long. But I, too, felt quite emotional on my last month at megacorp. Especially my farewell lunch. I got a little teary eyed in our group photo.

Melancholy aside, Congratulations on your ER! :dance:

I can relate to the emotions. On that final day, you may learn how much other people value you, feel affection for you. It's a humbling moment.

Congratulations! As others have said, you can stay in touch. I was also part of a virtual team and remain in touch with some of them. You’ll get past the sadness and realize the freedom you’ve gained soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom