Switch to Windows Phone 8.1 advice

ERhoosier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 3yr old Samsung smartphone has started acting flaky so time to move on before it dies. Switching from T-Mo to ATT due to better coverage in my area. Tried out a Windows 8.1 phone in store & seemed intuitive and snappy. Big advance over WP 7 or 8. But everything seems great during a sales demo :cool: I'm not a huge Android fan nor big user of apps- just phone, web, email, and some basic apps. Anyone have any advice or experience with Android-to-Windows Phone switch?

Bought the Nokia 830 which gets decent reviews for my uses (basic web surfing and phone). Think it was $430 at ATT store and included a free FitBit (99 value).
Had it a couple weeks and no issues so far. Decent battery life compared to my former Window phone a HTC Win 7 product.
Nwsteve

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-5...UTF8&qid=1417918805&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+520

I paid $50 for this phone a few months ago - now it's $30 outright. Cortana is pretty handy, the camera works well, (no flash), it makes calls... crazy. The Go phone just needs an AT&T sim card to operate like a normal AT&T phone. It also will accept a 64Gb micro SD card, so you can carry stupid amounts of data or music or maps. No Iphone, but better in a few ways, and what? $400 cheaper?

Any problems getting contacts, etc. moved over to the new Win phone? AFAIK, contacts you have uploaded to gmail can be download directly to a Win Phone, right?

Also looking for a decent security/locator app for Win. I was using Lookout for Android, but do not see a Win version.

Microsoft had a Nokia 635 for $40 so I grabbed one. Apparently this is replacement for the 520 in MS's lineup. 635's Gorilla glass display looked great in store, and specs looked decent with quad core processor and 4G capable. Seems like a lot of phone for the $, but have not even opened the box yet. Agree it's not built like an iPhone. But I won't puke if I drop it and shatter the display within 1st 2 wks like an un-named friend did with his new iPhone :(

Last edited:
Update- Just 2 weeks but very happy with the Nokia 635. And Windows Phone too. The phone works fast with no hangs, glitches, or freezes. Learning the WP system was easy & intuitive. The start screen/tile system is MUCH more convenient than Android interface. Have not found replacement apps for everything, but figured out that many company/network "apps" (for all mobile OS's) are little more than links to the firm's mobile website. So just pin (tile) the company website to your start screen and you just made your own "app".

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-5...UTF8&qid=1417918805&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+520

I paid $50 for this phone a few months ago - now it's $30 outright. Cortana is pretty handy, the camera works well, (no flash), it makes calls... crazy. The Go phone just needs an AT&T sim card to operate like a normal AT&T phone. It also will accept a 64Gb micro SD card, so you can carry stupid amounts of data or music or maps. No Iphone, but better in a few ways, and what? $400 cheaper?

$19.95 for the next 4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom