T-Mobile Money SAVINGS acct paying 1%

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you already have a T-Mobile Checking account, you can now open a Savings Account, paying 1%, FDIC insured.

I found out about the checking account on this forum last year and it pays 1%. If you have a T-Mobile phone plan and make 10 debit card transactions a month the checking has been paying 4% on the first $3,000.

For years, we've had a DiscoverBank Savings account and that has been paying .40% and just increased to .50%. When I got the T-Mobile checking account I moved a big chunk of cash to T-Mobile. The downside is that it's a checking account, with a debit card and I felt like that was an exposure to fraud. I check my bank accounts frequently so I could catch something early if it was used fraudulently. But I didn't like the idea of a large amount of money in a checking account. Another downside is that the checking account is only for a single owner, no joint accounts and no beneficiary.

I got the email this morning that T-Mobile now is offering a Savings account. Same 1% interest, which is better than most other banks. The money can come from an existing T-Mobile Money account or an outside bank. I'll be checking into if this can be jointly held or if a beneficiary can be added.

Last edited:
I have a T-Mobile checking account. I never activated and shredded the debit card, so I don’t see how it can be used fraudulently?

I have a T-Mobile checking account. I never activated and shredded the debit card, so I don’t see how it can be used fraudulently?

I have a checking account at PenFed that I opened for a bonus promo and I keep it open to bump up the reward rate on the PenFed credit card. I activated the debit card but never used it for anything and it never left the house. Years later a debit transaction showed up that was not ours. I have no idea how someone else used that number. PenFed issued a new debit card. I still don't use it but I still check the account.

Big deal. Use the 1% checking account as a savings account. You don't have to write checks or use the debit card. You can transfer money in/out via ACH.

Everybody gets 3% on the first $3000 for the first 2 statement cycles.

Checking accounts usually do not let you set beneficiaries. My guess is the savings account may. This would be uelpful.

Thanks for this post. I have had a T-MO 1% checking account for several months and I just opened a savings account. Sadly there was no option for a co owner or POD, but will be useful to segregate piles of money and if the rates ever diverge, will use the higher rate account. Note: I declined the debit card at the outset so I have no exposure due to that weakness.

Note: pushing from T mo is limited to $3,000/day, so I always push or pull from Ally which has a $250,000/day limit.

We had a hefty amount in the checking and I wanted to do an internal transfer to the savings. Could not do it all at once. I was hoping that they did not have a limit for internal transfers, that would make no sense. So I asked their support department.

There are no limits on internal transfers, but the amount per transaction cannot be more than $9,999.99. So I did it in multiple transactions, all in one day. I left $3000 in the checking to take advantage of the 4% on $3000 with 10 debit card transactions. I have 7 monthly automatic transactions set up and then I make 3 more purchases with the debit card during the month. All for an extra $10 a month (oh boy!) in interest.

And I did ask about a beneficiary on the savings accounts. Not available at this time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update on no beneficiaries.
I do like my TMM account. It's about the best out there and has been for a good while.

They mysteriously wouldn't let me open an account. No reason given, and they said don't bother to ask why.
No joint allowed, no beneficiary allowed. This seems more like a pretend bank than real.

The interest that’s deposited in my account every month is real enough, but I agree that their interface is basic.

Back
Top Bottom