Taking a Train (Amtrak)?

Wow! This has been an enjoyable thread full of useful information. I hope to take the Coastal Starlight up the west coast sometime next year. While in Australia a number of years ago, I took the train from Perth across The Nullarbor Plain and on into Adelaide. It took two days and two nights. Awesome! Later, we took The Ghan from Darwin to The Alice. Another great way to see a country!

If you like train travel, consider the Rocky Mountaineer. We took a two day trip from Banff to Vancouver. Lots of delays due to freight trains. The delay was so long the train decided to offer unlimited beer and wine the rest of the day (within reason). The service and food was utterly spectacular. The scenery was nothing short of amazing. Our overnight was at a top notch hotel. Bags were handled for us.

The only time I ever did overnight train travel was on a group tour when I was 18-in the USSR. The sleeper cars were amazingly comfortable. We did two trips overnight-from Odessa to Kiev then Kiev to Moscow.

We've been planning the Rocky Mountaineer for 2019!

European Trains

Western Europe is relatively small compared to the US, and they have got some great trains.
We had to get from high in the Bernese Alps in Switzerland down to Monte Carlo on the Med. It took 6 trains and 12 hours, but was extremely relaxing.We could get up and walk around, and not have any of the attendant security, etc. problems.
Here was our route:
Wengen- Lauterbrunen (Swiss)
Lauterbrunnen- Interlaken (Swiss)
Interlaken-Basel (Swiss)
Basel-Geneva (Swiss)
Geneva- Nice (French TGV)- great lunch wine included
Nice-Monte Carlo (French local train)
We arrived rested and relaxed, and felt sorry for the rest of our group that had just flown in from the States.

If you want FAST, try the Mag Lev train from downtown Shanghai to the airport. It hit 431 kmh at top speed. It does a 19 mile trip in about 8 minutes. The sensation is amazing. They use some sort of special window glass that makes it look like you are doing about 75 kmh. Since the train doesn't touch the lower magnets, you are floating and there is almost no sound. Unfortunately, it was so expensive that even the Chinese decided not to build any more - for now.

IMG_8801.jpg

If you want FAST, try the Mag Lev train from downtown Shanghai to the airport. It hit 431 kmh at top speed. It does a 19 mile trip in about 8 minutes. The sensation is amazing. They use some sort of special window glass that makes it look like you are doing about 75 kmh. Since the train doesn't touch the lower magnets, you are floating and there is almost no sound. Unfortunately, it was so expensive that even the Chinese decided not to build any more - for now.

View attachment 29395

Sorry we missed that on our visit. We had a driver take us from the airport to the French Concession district, and it took about an hour on the clogged freeway system.

Like others, I love trains in Europe, but Amtrak is not really an option where I live. The only train that stops here is just three times a week, in the middle of the night. They recently even closed the local ticket office, since only about 10% of the tickets were bought at the station.

When I was young, I took the train a few times between NYC and DC and that was OK. I understand it's still decent. That's my only experience with trains here.

I have taken the below train several years ago for the first time on a train
to Montreal. The scenery was very nice.

The Adirondack travels daily from New York City, through the lush wine country of the Hudson Valley, into Montreal. Heading north, you're scheduled to depart New York's Penn Station in the morning and arrive in Montreal in the evening.

I looked into this recently and was disappointed to learn that they are not as flexible as it sounds. You still have to make your reservations for all of your stops far in advance as they don’t have many seats allocated for the rail pass fare. That kind of takes the spontaneity out of it. I was hoping it would be more like a Eurrail pass—ride as often as you like, whenever you like...maybe my understanding is wrong or they’ve changed the rules.
I did an America Rail Pass a few months after retiring. I booked the first two legs (Syracuse to Chicago, Chicago to Santa Fe) one day in advance. Scheduled the next three legs (Santa Fe to Flagstaff, Flagstaff to LA, LA to SF)an hour before I left Santa Fe. Booked next three legs (SF to Denver, Denver to Chicago,Chicago to Syracuse) the day before leaving San Francisco.
No problems, but the Santa Fe station agent said I was traveling during a slow time.
Trains were nice. Staff was firm but friendly. Dining car breakfast and steaks were pretty good. The club car snacks are terrible and way overpriced.
The seats were comfortable to sleep one night in. They're like a large LazyBoy. Only had someone in the seat next to me overnight one leg so other nights I made a comfy nest out of both chairs. Two nights in a row sleeping like that was a bit much.
The Coast Starlight from LA to Oakland has some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen.
Trains are often late. By a lot. Back in the 90s I took the family from DC to Orlando. 4 hours late. Coming back was over a 20 hours late!
Last trip Toledo to Syracuse left 8 hours late.

I have often taken Amtrak from DC to NYC. I prefer it to flying. I have twice taken the Auto Train to Florida. We booked a roomette once and it was a PITA. The next time we tried business class seats which were comfortable but DW and I didn't sleep well. On the return trip we upgraded to a room and that was the sweet spot. I noticed that room prices vary significantly depending on when you travel.

Even when I go alone I get the full room, big comfort difference. And if you are flexible on dates you can find pretty good deals.

I commuted on Amtrak for ~ 3 years. It was one of the reasons I changed jobs. Also took Amtrak Philly to Miami twice. It is OK with a sleeper car, but it made my days on submarines seem roomy.

I have looked what the price for tickets from MT to IND and really haven't found a good site to get a cost.

Can someone post a site so see what it would cost for a round trip to IND from MT?

I have looked what the price for tickets from MT to IND and really haven't found a good site to get a cost.

Can someone post a site so see what it would cost for a round trip to IND from MT?
I am hoping by MT you mean Montana. Go to www.amtrak.com The Empire Builder runs from Chicago through many stops in Montana. There are also Amtrak trains that go from Indianapolis to Chicago.
The website is not too hard to use.

I am hoping by MT you mean Montana. Go to www.amtrak.com The Empire Builder runs from Chicago through many stops in Montana. There are also Amtrak trains that go from Indianapolis to Chicago.
The website is not too hard to use.

Yes Montana and thank you for your help.

I did an America Rail Pass a few months after retiring. I booked the first two legs (Syracuse to Chicago, Chicago to Santa Fe) one day in advance. Scheduled the next three legs (Santa Fe to Flagstaff, Flagstaff to LA, LA to SF)an hour before I left Santa Fe. Booked next three legs (SF to Denver, Denver to Chicago,Chicago to Syracuse) the day before leaving San Francisco.
No problems, but the Santa Fe station agent said I was traveling during a slow time.
Trains were nice. Staff was firm but friendly. Dining car breakfast and steaks were pretty good. The club car snacks are terrible and way overpriced.
The seats were comfortable to sleep one night in. They're like a large LazyBoy. Only had someone in the seat next to me overnight one leg so other nights I made a comfy nest out of both chairs. Two nights in a row sleeping like that was a bit much.
The Coast Starlight from LA to Oakland has some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen.
Trains are often late. By a lot. Back in the 90s I took the family from DC to Orlando. 4 hours late. Coming back was over a 20 hours late!
Last trip Toledo to Syracuse left 8 hours late.

thank you for sharing your experience in successfully booking your travel segments at the last minute. I will definitely add this back to our list of trips. It was the Amtrak FAQs that made it sound different.

From the Amtrak website (bolding is mine):

Do I Need Tickets and Reservations?
Yes. Your USA Rail Pass is not a ticket. When traveling on a USA Rail Pass, you must have a ticket and a reservation for each train you board. You must make reservations and pick up your ticket(s) before boarding any train.
Reservations for train travel should be made as far in advance as possible; seats available for USA Rail Pass passengers are limited on each train. We do not recommend waiting until the day of departure to make your reservations since there is a greater chance that seats allocated for the USA Rail Pass may not be available on your desired train. If your plans are not flexible, non-USA Rail Pass seats may be available at an additional cost.

You can look right on Amtrak: www.amtrak.com

However, if you are flexible in terms of dates, i find AMSnag to be a great site. It is primitive in terms of the user interface, but allows you to put in the station pair and look at prices over a range of days (up to 30 days). From it, you can link directly to Amtrak. AmSnag Verson 2.02 (This is a site that a train fan put together for free and provides a great service.)

Last edited:
^ Outstanding and thank you.

Wow! This has been an enjoyable thread full of useful information. I hope to take the Coastal Starlight up the west coast sometime next year. While in Australia a number of years ago, I took the train from Perth across The Nullarbor Plain and on into Adelaide. It took two days and two nights. Awesome! Later, we took The Ghan from Darwin to The Alice. Another great way to see a country!

Of all the trains I've taken, I was suprised as to how great the Coastal Starlight scenery is. The train spends a good amount of time right along the coast (beach front), very beautiful. I think I liked it as much as going through the continental divide from Denver.

I have taken the below train several years ago for the first time on a train
to Montreal. The scenery was very nice.

The Adirondack travels daily from New York City, through the lush wine country of the Hudson Valley, into Montreal. Heading north, you're scheduled to depart New York's Penn Station in the morning and arrive in Montreal in the evening.
This is another great, easy to take and relatively inexpensive train. I've gone NYC to Albany and Albany to NYC many, many, many times. The scenery along the Hudson is fantastic. If you go northbound, sit on the left side of the train to see the Hudson. After taking it so many times, I started to sit on the right side to see the marshes and inland scenery. North of Albany, you want to sit on the right side to see Lake Champlain, as the train goes right along the lake. The train westbound from Albany towards Buffalo, Chicago, and Niagara Falls/Toronto is also nice as on the left side you see the Mohawk river.

Back in the 90’s New York magazine had a fun contest. You had to take an existing advertising slogan for one company or product and apply it to another company.
The winner (or the one I recall) was applying the New York Lotto's slogan to Amtrak:
"Hey, Ya never know!"

I love Amtrak provided I go first class. I have done just about every long distance Amtrak train in the US.

"Rock me momma like the wind and the rain
Rock me momma like a south bound train
Hey, hey, hey momma rock me."
Hey Martha, good to see you!!!

Yes, you've been gone a long time, hope all went (and is going ) well with you. It looks like you've been gone so long, few people remember you!

-ERD50

Amsnag looks like a great website. Bookmarked it. Thanks for posting.

Couldya ask him to build one for ViaRail.... :cool:

Yes, you've been gone a long time, hope all went (and is going ) well with you. It looks like you've been gone so long, few people remember you!

-ERD50

I certainly remember Martha. Always enjoyed her comments.

One of these days I'm going to have to take a trip via train. I have no excuse for not using Amtrak as it comes right through my small town. A trip to New Orleans might be a good trial run as it would be short ride and I have friends who could pick me up as well. Perhaps during the winter......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom