Talk me out of volunteering for HOA BOD

I'm on the board of our 17-unit condo HOA and it's fine. By doing it ourselves we save quite a lot over the cost of using a management company. With such a small operation we don't have many decisions to make. There have only been two owners who tended to be difficult, and one moved out earlier this year. All the rest are nice, reasonable people, and three are snowbirds who we rarely even see.

If you do not like what is going on with the existing BOD, it may be better to be part of the solution, than one who just complains about it. Being retired and having the time to devote to HOA Board matters is very helpful. That said, I am retired and have been the president of our neighborhood HOA of 106 homes for going on 3 years. It can be quite frustrating as we have 4 other board members, all of whom work, and getting them to do anything or even respond in a timely matter to emails or attend meetings is a problem. In my community, we also have a very diverse neighborhood composition with many first time homeowners who often times do not have good neighborhood etiquette, and other residents will continually complain and demand the problem ones be made more responsible. I will be done with my term soon and do not plan to run again, but still have a concern that there will not be a sufficient number of replacements that can display common sense and fiscal responsibility.

We just had our (Zoom) Board meeting last night. I committed to another 3 year term. I am in charge of roads. We have 6 or 7 miles of roads on the Ranch plus another 3 miles of private and Forest Service roads we maintain for Ranch access. Our meetings last 2 or 3 hours every other month. I don't consider it a major drag on my time, nor is there a lot of thorny issues or politics involved. If yours is a good atmosphere I would say give it a try.

Last edited:
I served on our HOA board for 5 years and only stopped because we moved. It was a positive experience for me. That may also be because we had a reasonable board with reasonable expectations.

I liked seeing where the money I paid went and having a hand in the decisions. I can honestly say in the 5 years I served we really didn't have anything petty.

I guess it largely depends on each board and their expectations. I would agree that you should attend meetings regularly and get a feel for what it would be like.

+1
I joined our apartment board of 250 units, as I wanted to be sure the money was responsibly spent, and have a part in the decisions made.
I'm glad I did it, and would do it again.

Whenever I hear some condo townhouse relative complain about their Assoc. I tell them if you are not happy with how things are done, then get on the board.

It's not a life long decision, so if interested, give it a try.

I am currently on the board of our small 22 unit complex. I've been on for 5 years. I originally stepped up because no one else wanted to fill the position. It's still that way so the same people keep getting re-elected over and over because none of the owners will do anything to help out. I like it, we get to make the decisions on how money is spent, design elements and dues. It can be an occasional pain when you get an annoying owner, but that doesn't happen too often. It can take a lot of time, but we have always been self managed. We just hired an management company (which some owners are complaining about, but of course they never offer to help out) which is going to take a lot of the work off of our shoulders. I think over all it's been a good experience, and it's interesting to know how the condos are run, and why decisions are made.

As far as one of the other comments regarding liability insurance - like any corporation, the HOA carries (should carry) Directors and Officers insurance, it is not something you (should) need to be concerned with.

Just wanted to point out that they SHOULD carry it, but many do not. I wouldn't be on a HOA board, but *if* I were to consider, I would MAKE SURE that I was listed on the D&O policy.

Our last neighborhood had a HOA (non-mandatory) and didn't carry D&O insurance. Well, lo and behold, someone visited the neighborhood and the car was vandalized. They sued the HOA and directors. Ultimately, the suit was dismissed, but not before several thousand dollars were spent defending it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to point out that they SHOULD carry it, but many do not. I wouldn't be on a HOA board, but *if* I were to consider, I would MAKE SURE that I was listed on the D&O policy.

Our last neighborhood had a HOA (non-mandatory) and didn't carry D&O insurance. Well, lo and behold, someone visited the neighborhood and the car was vandalized. They sued the HOA and directors. Ultimately, the suit was dismissed, but not before several thousand dollars were spent defending it.

That coverage is important, otherwise a board member/officer could be subject to a lawsuit.

OP here. Thank you for all the replies. You've given me some useful information to consider. At this point, I think I'm going to pass up this opportunity for the following reasons:

- The leadership of the current BOD (5 people) seem to be part of the 'good old boys club'. They tend to just swap out one good old boy for another. It feels like any real change would be difficult.

- There are some difficult issues that needs to be dealt with - aging infrastructure for example - that may require increased HOA amounts or special assessments. We just had an assessment a couple of years ago. (This is a 350 unit beachfront complex built in the 80s using wood/hardie board.)

- Most of the owners are older and have been owners for many years. Needless to say, they tend to be 'set in their ways'. They want *everything* fixed but are not willing to increase monthly HOA or pay an assessment or even have our renters pay for parking.

I think I'd get too frustrated to enjoy the experience or feel like I was being helpful in any way. Thanks again for the insights.

I think each owner should serve at least one term on the board, if the opportunity presents itself. If it turns out to be an aggravation, don't run again. It is a responsibility, but others carried the load for the benefit of the group previously and everyone should take their turn.
+1

DW is the treasurer on the board and has been for four years. We have 750 houses in the subdivision. The HOA is underfunded for the amenities that are available. The bi-laws dictate that HOA dues can increase 10% per year without approval from the residents. It has been increased as such every year for the past four and still done have enough money to cover all the amenities and services. Looks like the dues will continue to be increased for several more years. About 25% of the residents don't pay on time and half of the are several years (YEARS) in arrears. It cost money to send them to collection so the pot continues to drain. All people do is complain. No appreciation and they want everything but don't want to pay for it. If you are prepared to handle all the drama, best of luck to you. I'm retired, I couldn't tolerate all the whining.

My husband did and as a engineer saved all of us a ton of money with his expertise. When we sold he quit.

My husband did and as a engineer saved all of us a ton of money with his expertise. When we sold he quit.

TT, I am also an engineer, and was on the board for over 20 years. I ended up doing the reserve analysis instead of paying some ridiculous amount to some company.
The last year before I left, I passed the torch to someone else, but helped them with the transition.

I served on an HOA board twice.

Here is how the problems start:
1. People don’t read the rules.
2. If they do, they don’t think they apply to them.

And you will be looked at to resolve 1 and 2.

It sounds like the reason some people run for Congress: to improve the way things are currently being run.

As in Congress, if you join because you are unhappy with the other members' performance, you had better be good at making friends and alliances with people you do not respect. Because you will not change them; you will only be able to set an example. It takes a skilled leader to set an example that others, who don't have close ties, want to follow.

If you have alliances among your neighbors, you might be able to pull one or more of these allies into the Board over time, and then you can run it the way you like.

If all this sounds impossible and a huge waste of your precious life, I have done my job.

Very good perspective.

Live in a small HOA - 33 property owners, and I have volunteered for board or ARC when things get silly. Now three years into president role to get the bitterness of the petty fighting out of the system and to make common area improvements. It took 1 year to stop the spiteful emails and stop the lawyer fees, and 2 years to show and engrain how a board election is properly held, run an ARC and get the vice president and treasurer I wanted, and in year 3 we are putting down some serious improvements. Figured from the outset it would take 3 years minimum to accomplish these goals. Next goal is to find my replacement for year 5 now that things are smooth sailing.

I have also previous self nominated for elections when it looked like a spiteful person was running for the board - just to block them. Easy election to win - but if only 3 candidates run for 3 slots - they are all legally in.

Understand your goals, alliances, strategy and tolerance before serving. Have an exit strategy.

Very good perspective.

Live in a small HOA - 33 property owners, and I have volunteered for board or ARC when things get silly. Now three years into president role to get the bitterness of the petty fighting out of the system and to make common area improvements. It took 1 year to stop the spiteful emails and stop the lawyer fees, and 2 years to show and engrain how a board election is properly held, run an ARC and get the vice president and treasurer I wanted, and in year 3 we are putting down some serious improvements. Figured from the outset it would take 3 years minimum to accomplish these goals. Next goal is to find my replacement for year 5 now that things are smooth sailing.

I have also previous self nominated for elections when it looked like a spiteful person was running for the board - just to block them. Easy election to win - but if only 3 candidates run for 3 slots - they are all legally in.

Understand your goals, alliances, strategy and tolerance before serving. Have an exit strategy.

Congrats on finding new board members in a 33 home community. In our HOA, it's been a challenge with 106 homes to solicit volunteers to run for a board seat.

I would never live in a place where there is a HOA. It just isn't worth it. Once I retired I only had my wife and home as my responsibility. Don't need or want any more and certainly don't need or want to deal with a circus or its monkeys.

Cheers!

I would never live in a place where there is a HOA. It just isn't worth it. Once I retired I only had my wife and home as my responsibility. Don't need or want any more and certainly don't need or want to deal with a circus or its monkeys.

Cheers!

Probably many of us feel that way, but depending on geography, unless you live out in the country or in less desirable neighborhood, you options for choosing non-HOA can be limited.

I have not but have considered it. The only reason I have not is that I really hope to travel more. Our board really helps to make repairs before they become a big, costly problem. You will be able to understand where your condo fees go to also.
As long as the association pays for insurance to cover you in case there is a disgruntled resident who decides to sue you, go for it.

I retired recently. Most of the previous board members abruptly resigned so I volunteered. I was appointed president. It is time consuming getting up to speed on all the Governing documents, with little help. You need to be resourceful. But I enjoy the challenge. Reminds me of the good parts of my old work life.

Bear in mind you generally only hear about the bad HOAs, or only get half the story from some whiner who didn't like that the HOA upheld the rules, even on the asshat who didn't feel they applied to him.

That said, I get that some people are inherently a pain in the butt, I guess it's in their genes or something.

But you never, ever, hear about the HOAs that are run by and for reasonable people, which is most of them.

And looking a some places, it wouldn't hurt them a doggone bit to have an HOA run by clipboard-carrying HOA-nazis. It would improve their neighborhood.

Sorry, but I think everybody should serve on the Board. I served, chaired, and happily stepped down when my term was up. I understand a lot more about my condo development and my neighbors, and I still maintain they are the best neighbors I’ve ever had. The more people who serve, the less chance of the board developing Little Tin Gods.

Attend a couple meetings first and see what you’re getting into.

Good and bad

It can be gratifying to help the community and keep an eye on your own interests but it can also be frustrating with peolpe with narrow minds with an agenda
I am volunteering for a 2200 unit HOA which has a management company which really helps. Without the management company it would be a nightmare

I would never live in a place where there is a HOA. It just isn't worth it.

I checked out some non-HOA neighborhoods while doing a house search about 5 years ago. Some of the things that Florida Man and Florida Woman do to their properties in these non-HOA neighborhoods are simply mind-boggling :eek: . The net result: reduced property value both for themselves and their neighbors. New subdivisions built in Florida these days tend to have substantial communally-owned "amenities" that require some type of local governing body to manage.

That said, a subdivision of (for example) 5-acre lots and no "amenities" might not need a HOA. However, I read about a local subdivision with 5-acre lots where one of the owners decided to install a dog kennel with 35 yapping mutts - ouch! :facepalm:

Regarding my own subdivision, I'm grateful for the folks willing to serve on the HOA board and glad that I don't have to do it. All it takes is one bad apple to ruin the bunch. :)

HOA - unpaid dues

DW is the treasurer on the board and has been for four years. We have 750 houses in the subdivision. The HOA is underfunded for the amenities that are available. The bi-laws dictate that HOA dues can increase 10% per year without approval from the residents. It has been increased as such every year for the past four and still done have enough money to cover all the amenities and services. Looks like the dues will continue to be increased for several more years. About 25% of the residents don't pay on time and half of the are several years (YEARS) in arrears. It cost money to send them to collection so the pot continues to drain. All people do is complain. No appreciation and they want everything but don't want to pay for it. If you are prepared to handle all the drama, best of luck to you. I'm retired, I couldn't tolerate all the whining.

The HOA should consider filing a lien for the unpaid HOA dues. It is unfair to the other residents that not enough money is available for amenities because some people choose not to pay what they owe.

Back
Top Bottom