Talking to 'regular folks'

^^^^
Reminds me of something similar that happen to me near the end of my career. The DW and I moved to the county (to far to commute everyday) so I told my boss, either they let me work from home or I quit. My Megacorp didn't have a formal work from home policy at the time so I thought for sure I was about to retire. "Surprise", they let me work from home.:facepalm: It actually worked out pretty well but after about 18mos I had enough of that too and called it quits.

^^^^
Reminds me of something similar that happen to me near the end of my career. The DW and I moved to the county (to far to commute everyday) so I told my boss, either they let me work from home or I quit. My Megacorp didn't have a formal work from home policy at the time so I thought for sure I was about to retire. "Surprise", they let me work from home.:facepalm: It actually worked out pretty well but after about 18mos I had enough of that too and called it quits.

Heh, heh, another blow TO "the man" and FOR the "downtrodden w*rkers!" Good for you.

Heh, heh, my Megacorp would have said "Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out." Megacorp actually had some good things about it, but letting employees set (or even change) policy was NOT one of them. If it didn't come from the top - it didn't happen. YMMV

It's so nice to suddenly be in the driver's seat at w*rk! I didn't have that option but I did have the option to leave which is almost as good. I'm happy for your "freedom" to choose!

Where I worked we called that "having your KMA* hat".

*Kiss my A$$

Or at couple of my old employers with an "age plus years of service > 85" you were eligible for full retirement. Once you hit that 85 points it was called your KMA day. Because at any time after that you could just say KMA.

I should have been a Philosopher-King, but there's no money in that. Like Jimmy Buffett sang, "My occupation's just not around." I never fit in. And after 19 years doing the thing I got educated to do, I could sing the song better than uncle Jimmy. When the moment came to retire just a few years early, I was ready. No grief, no remorse.

And now I can keep my own schedule. I've decided that EVERY week-end will be a 3-day week-end. I've got a favorite thing to do on Wed, so the doctors just have to fit me in on Tues or Thurs or Friday. I can be lazy, or go out to the beach. And opera season is here. I MIGHT just get interested in the baseball play-offs. Next year i plan to go back to my no-account, tiny, favorite fishing hole in Connecticut. Catch some channel catfish. ...And i don't have to deal with PEOPLE!!!

Late to the game on this thread... This is another example why this site is very informative. Been getting asked this fairly often as of late. Holiday parties and the like. I've been going with "Looking for the next big thing". That typically does the trick.

I have a very fun part-time post-retirement job running a construction materials lab in the Summer when the full-time guy gets burned out and needs time off. It’s fast-paced and sometimes I operate heavy equipment when business is brisk. Fun!!!

When asked what I do I say, “I measure and weigh sand and gravel” to make sure customers get what they paid for.

That sounds so boring that I’ve never had a follow-up question. Conversation generally changes quickly to sports or current events.

I past well living my life based on what others thought or even caring about what they thought or think.

Retired early. Anybody asked I just said I was retired.

Why not? I feel no need to hide the fact. Surely the truth is a simple thing.

I really do not understand why anyone would want to less that forthright.

Unless of course one cares that much about what others may think.

We went to a new to us vet today, first time since we moved. I was glad to fill in my employer as "retired" on the form. :cool:

I’ll say I’m trying to decide if I’m retired, which is kind of true.

I say that I am retired and no guilt about it.
Only at a cash register where an older person is manning it, I make sure there is no reference to it.

I'm a bit surprised at how many responses there have been to this question. Nice I guess that so many people have felt themselves in this situation.

I did have this issue, though now have "aged out of it". My responses were varied depending on what I was currently engaged in (which changed some over time), and the person/people listening or likely to hear the response indirectly. My responses ranged from:

• The simple truth to *some* family and closest friends
  • evasive, joking type response that leaves the inquirer puzzled but socially disinclined to press further
  • I was heavily involved with a non-profit, turning it into something approaching an unpaid job, so in many cases I referenced what I did there without mentioning the 'unpaid' aspect
I never felt comfortable about any of this stuff and in that way at least am content to be now obviously old enough to just say "retired". I think that part of the issue is that if people find that you're retired at a fairly young age they sometimes seem to assume that you're swimming in so much money that obviously you have some to spare for them. In a couple of cases with family we became the sort of bank of last resort, or more often a source of charity. It's fine if we choose to do so, less so if one feels sort of automatically obliged.

I did get sort of used to being a little evasive on the topic, and the misdirection became somewhat easier over time, but then occasionally there would be the person that would just ask me directly. To that person I sometimes had no problem in politely explaining how this was none of their damned business ! :)

I'm surprised that so many people found it hard to just say that they're retired. I did that when I retired at 53 (I looked at least 5 years younger). I never had anyone ask me for money but if they had they would have received an immediate "no" with no hesitation or guilt on my part.

I must hang out with the wrong crowd. I retired at 52, looked 45 but never, not once had I ever been asked an awkward question about it.

When asked, I'd say "I retired early" or something similar. "Oh! Good for you!" was the most common reply, then they'd leave it at that. Never any uncomfortable follow up questions or comments. Not once, never. The most pressed I'd get was "What did you do before?"

Now, we do live in an area where there's a fair amount of wealth and many who are 'born to FI' so seeing someone at 45 who's never had a real job or someone who's retired early is not highly unusual, but I'm still surprised to hear of so many folks here getting in awkward positions by such rude questions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom