Taxes on Social security

FREE866

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

Plugging in numbers on this calculator and just want to make sure I'm reading this right.

New York resident.

If a single filer over 65 has $50,000 in social security and $10,000 from ordinary dividends the total tax bill will be only $80!?!?!

Federal taxes would be zero (there's only a couple hundred $ room left in the 0% bracket), don't know about New York.

Federal taxes would be zero (there's only a couple hundred $ room left in the 0% bracket), don't know about New York.

In the calculator there is a drop down for state and when I select NY it indicates total tax bill of $80 on total income of $60,000
This can't be right

In the calculator there is a drop down for state and when I select NY it indicates total tax bill of $80 on total income of $60,000
This can't be right

Look more closely at all the tool shows you. Under where you entered your SS income, it shows you that only $5350 of it is taxed. Add your $10K of dividends and it is canceled out by the standard deduction for single over 65. So, yes, it is correct.

Lot of states don't tax SS. I think in MD, the case you describe would not even have to file -- zero tax. The filing threshold for a Single filer is ~ $13K excluding SS.

Lot of states don't tax SS. I think in MD, the case you describe would not even have to file -- zero tax. The filing threshold for a Single filer is ~ $13K excluding SS.

I totally knew NY and I think most states now do not tax SS, but just putting actual numbers in I was like wow! :dance:

Remember that the next time someone complains about taxes being top high or that SS is taxed.

SS is taxed in MN but changes are likely this session that will make it so that only around the top 25% income recipients pay it.

Remember that the next time someone complains about taxes being top high or that SS is taxed.

85% of my social security is taxed. But I would rather have the income necessary for that to be the case than not have it.

I live in NY and have a spreadsheet which mimics the tax calculations. I set one up for my 92-year-old dad whose taxes I do. RunningBum described how your fed tax bill would be zero. Your state taxable income would be $2k based on the $10k AGI in dividends (only) minus the $8k standard deduction. Your state taxes due will be $81.

NY also has a $20,000 pension / retirement account withdrawal exclusion over age 59.5, Social Security is tax free.

Back
Top Bottom