Taxes

FedExCourier

Recycles dryer sheets
I will get a small pension check monthly and supplement that with 401k money. Would you recommend I go ahead and have the approximate annual tax bill of $4600 taken out of my monthly pension check? Or do you wait until the end of the year and send in a check for your federal taxes? Will I be penalized if I wait until the end of the year to pay my full tax bill?

In most cases you'll be penalized if you wait until the end of the year. Either do quarterly estimated payments or have it withheld. There are threads on this, including a very recent one, if you search for something like "estimated taxes".

If you have the tax withheld from your 401(k) distribution there is no penalty, even if all the withholding is on December 31. You could also have 1/12 of your projected tax withheld from your pension or even all of it at yearend. Finally you could make four estimated payments of $1,150 each.
Bruce

I prefer to have taxes withheld from my pension as I feel it is less trouble than having to worry with quarterly payments. I have online access for changing the fed tax amount so can adjust throughout the year if necessary.

I prefer to have taxes withheld from my pension as I feel it is less trouble than having to worry with quarterly payments. I have online access for changing the fed tax amount so can adjust throughout the year if necessary.

If I had a pension, this is what i'd do too.

I'm kind of leaning towards the pension check having taxes withheld. I will also have my health insurance premium held each month so no hassles with these 2 payments. Thanks for the advice and the threads dealing with taxes.

Back
Top Bottom