TD to Schwab migration

Geld ist Freiheit

Recycles dryer sheets
My TD accounts are slated to be assimilated into Schwab sometime during Q3.

Not long ago, the company moved our 401Ks to Fidelity. Part of me want to move the TD accounts to Fidelity and have everything in one place for simplicity since I have to learn their system anyway.

There are a lot of things I like at TD and would hate to see them go. I don’t know any specifics on what TD features are being retained. I’ll probably let the transfer happen and give Schwab a chance.

For those former TD folks that have already been moved over to Schwab how did it go? Are you pleased with Schwab?

Schwab = Pleased, Yes... Prefect, No

I became an Ameritrade user when they acquired Waterhouse. I moved everything over to Schwab decades ago.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I have the bulk of our accounts at Fidelity now but still hold some at TD that I have no idea when we will be switched over to Schwab. I was able to drive 25 miles and walk into an office with TD but now they have shut it down and I don't know where the nearest one is from me. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I have the bulk of our accounts at Fidelity now but still hold some at TD that I have no idea when we will be switched over to Schwab. I was able to drive 25 miles and walk into an office with TD but now they have shut it down and I don't know where the nearest one is from me. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Do you have any Schwab offices nearby? I'm still at TD - but the local office is Schwab/TD. Try calling and see if they can help you. My rep is a Schwab employee.

I was in a similar state - 401K and other accounts at Fidelity, brokerage at TD. I decided to simplify my life and consolidated it into Fidelity. The TD account was left over from the olden days when I thought I could beat the market via buying individual stocks :D. At best I was doing 2-3 transactions a year, and did not really use any TD features.

After I opened a brokerage account at Fidelity to get the $150 bonus, I decided in made sense for me to move my TD holdings into it.

Because of the TD/Schwab merger, TD is not charging the $75 fee to move all account holdings elsewhere, so the timing was right for me.

I was going to start a new topic on the TDA to Schwab migration- but I thought I’d keep this one going.

I have have accounts at both Schwab and TDA - so I’m particularly interested in what everything will look like after the migration on September 1

I’m also a Quicken user, so I’m not looking forward to all the crazy transfers to get the accounts settled.

The good news is for 2024 - one less 1099 to enter into TurboTax!

I was in a similar state - 401K and other accounts at Fidelity, brokerage at TD. I decided to simplify my life and consolidated it into Fidelity. The TD account was left over from the olden days when I thought I could beat the market via buying individual stocks :D. At best I was doing 2-3 transactions a year, and did not really use any TD features.

After I opened a brokerage account at Fidelity to get the $150 bonus, I decided in made sense for me to move my TD holdings into it.

Because of the TD/Schwab merger, TD is not charging the $75 fee to move all account holdings elsewhere, so the timing was right for me.

Thanks..... I just saved $225 by taking this opportunity to move 3 accounts to somewhere other than Schwab.

I already have a Schwab accnt and don't like the website very much, so no need to make it worse.

My transition went well, but I really don't use the services that are provided. Very much buy and hold investor. The local schwab rep called to introduce himself today. The office is a few miles away, but I've never met with anyone from Ameritrade, and don't know that I'll go over there now that they are schwab.

I have my IRAs and some cash accounts in Vanguard and individual stocks and CDs at Schwab. I started with Scottrade then to TDA then to Schwab all with the same advisor that has always been helpful and easy to work with. ST and TDA were only about 5 miles from home and Schwab about a 20 min. drive. The reason for Vanguard is that I have everything set on autopilot for our RMDs and how and where to sweep the dividends.
I have thought about consolidating everything at Schwab but too lazy to get everything moved. I'm not sure if doing that would be a good idea. Maybe I'll have a talk with my Schwab rep. first.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom