Tesla Investor Day

dixonge

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It was a very long and detailed presentation. Maybe 5-6 hours including Q&A? Here's a nice relatively short synopsis/overview...

Any highlights you feel noteworthy?

Any highlights you feel noteworthy?

I would say that my main takeaway was the opening section which laid out the path to a sustainably powered global economy via electrification. Each area covered laid out the TeraWattHours, TeraWatts, and CapEx costs. They compared CapEx to what it would cost to maintain/build out existing fossil fuels and also compared it to total global economy.

I should add that I have previously expressed a lot of skepticism about the viability of large-scale renewables. But the storage issue seems to be in the process of being solved and that's the big key to unlock things. This presentation made renewables seem much more doable, and that has caused me to shift my thinking a lot.

There was no new 'big reveal' regarding the next vehicle, no pictures or demo models, so the FinTech press is confused because you have to stop and think and analyze things to be able to understand this 'Master Plan' concept. They did, however, announce a new GigaFactory near Monterrey, Mexico. Evidently they will be buying over 4000 acres making it almost twice the size of the GigaTexas factory. Big plans afoot there.

This is a very good panel discussion by some of the heavy hitters in the Tesla analysis space. Sandy Munro worked as a senior design engineer for Ford and now has a company that tears down various automobiles to the tiny parts to analyze them.

Granted they probably own a lot of TSLA stock, so they have an incentive to be bullish.

The short version of this discussion in that Tesla laid out a lot of technical details and technical road map plans that most wall street analysts do not understand. There was an immediate negative reaction to the conference on the street due to lack of any stunning new product announcement but these guys explain that Tesla laid out a very credible plan to cut their production costs by 50% in the next generation and to produce a vehicle that would be very desirable to the parts of the world not currently buying a lot of Tesla cars because they can't afford them.

Tesla showed their plan to completely redesign the way a car is manufactured. They announced a fifth Giga Factory in Mexico that will use this new process and manufacture the next generation vehicle. They showed a slide with their vehicle types with two types covered by a tarp. One looked suspiciously like a delivery van and the other looked like a smaller car, probably SUV type.

These guys were really impressed with the 4680 battery operation in TX.

The feeling was that while the legacy automakers are struggling to catch up with Tesla, Tesla just laid out a plan to take a huge leap forward before the others can even catch up with the current Tesla products.

It was very interesting, lots of really smart people working at Tesla, but the financial talking heads and many fans thought it was "useless." But there was never going to be any reveals on the next gen vehicle, M3 Highland or HW4 specifics - that would just freeze (potential) customers and that's not how Tesla does things, especially after the tax credit rumors messed up their '22 year end demand and into '23. Here's a pretty good summary re: what you could read between the lines? Elon's chronically overly optimistic timing predictions aside, lots of people don't get how Tesla operates, and admittedly they've done many things I didn't understand until after...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom