"That's not leather, that's vinyl." What is with some people?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Today we had to get our (clean) basement carpet cleaned, per the warranty requirements.

We have a leather-covered sectional/sleeper. After shifting this item for cleaning, the cleaner decided it wasn't leather after all, but vinyl. And he so informed us, in the most definite way imaginable. "I have that same material on my boat."

Not only was he wrong (unless vinyl smells exactly like leather), but...what purpose did this pronouncement serve? As nearly as we can tell, he didn't damage the covering, so why pretend it is made of something cheaper than it is?

Pet peeve of the day:

Have you shopped for a purse recently at mid-market stores? I'm trying to replace a leather bag for someone. Real leather, probably purchased at Macy's or the like 20 years ago. I went through the entire purse departments at Kohl's and Penney's. Not one purse was marked with the material composition. And not one was leather. All were vinyl made to look like leather. I will try Macy's mid-week, but I am not hopeful.

This is part of a larger trend. The US used to get all the quality merchandise. It's going somewhere else now. We have been demoted on the consumption scale. At least we can still buy leather shoes...for now.

In our case, the furniture IS made of leather.

So the question is not "why aren't more things made of leather these days" (answer: they are; they just cost more) but "Why would a carpet cleaner feel called upon to comment on our furniture, especially given he was wrong"?

Never mind. I guess the cleaner falls in the same category as the fellow-tour-travelers in my other post, who just had to ask us impertinent personal questions. It was because they felt like it, and people nowadays do what they feel like, even when it's rude.

My guess is that he wanted to impress you by showing off his "knowledge" of fabrics.:facepalm:

My second guess is that he failed. :LOL:

I have a RV with a huge "leather" couch. The leather is actually a veneer glued onto a cloth backing, and it's starting to peel. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled to have to purchase new furniture, but the replacement will be "naugahyde".

The auto industry has been charging us for leather seats for many years, however it's often just a few pieces of the seating that's actually leather. The rest is Naugahyde.

I have a RV with a huge "leather" couch. The leather is actually a veneer glued onto a cloth backing, and it's starting to peel. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled to have to purchase new furniture, but the replacement will be "naugahyde".

The auto industry has been charging us for leather seats for many years, however it's often just a few pieces of the seating that's actually leather. The rest is Naugahyde.

I hope you realize you are risking the ire of all those folks from PETA. Don't expect them to stand by idly while more Nauga die just so you can have new furniture for your RV.

Corinthian leather is the way to go.

My point is that lots of people are buying products they think are leather that are not. While Amethyst is better educated on the subject and more discerning than most people, there are plenty of people that are not. This guy's comment is probably true in other cases, just not in this one.

Leather handbags were sold everywhere until ten or fifteen years ago. Then Target and the other mass merchandisers started selling bonded leather bags, which was a thin veneer of leather glued to fabric. It appeared in low end office chairs and other low end furniture. The stuff did not wear well and consumers did not like that.

Now we have vinyl, which has been engineered to look and feel like leather. No more leather seats in your Lexus, unless you buy the upgrade. No more leather bags unless you want to pay over $100.

I guess the Chinese upper classes that are beating us economically are consuming all the world's leather and selling us the vinyl junk. It's just one of many areas our consumer economy is shifting downward on the world scale.

I would be very cautious today buying any leather furniture. Fifty years ago, if you bought high quality leather furniture, it might still be around. Nothing you buy today is that level of quality, but you will pay the high price anyway.

We just had some remodeling done and omg the comments we heard from the delivery people, a couple of the tradesmen, the installers. Who asked them to weigh in on the unusual floor plan, the advanced age of the house, why we don’t just move, the paint color, etc., etc.? I don’t know if they were just trying to make conversation or to show off their superior knowledge.

There are many varieties of processed animal hide that can still be legally called leather. Today, many automotive leather seats and furniture are actually some form of those leathers with a plastic coating. (PVC aka Vinyl). Surprised? I was.

So the question is not "why aren't more things made of leather these days" (answer: they are; they just cost more) but "Why would a carpet cleaner feel called upon to comment on our furniture, especially given he was wrong"?

Maybe he was trying to determine if he needed to protect your furniture in a different way while cleaning your carpet.

Maybe your furniture is Bonded Leather? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

Last edited:
what purpose did this pronouncement serve?

Some people are poopy. They like to elevate themselves via knocking others down. Maybe not even intentionally, maybe this twit really did think it was vinyl. But even if...who cares? Who does that? Who tells a near stranger (or a client!) that something they own isn't as good as they think? Why? You and I ask because we don't think that way.. but others do:

You know the type: You show up to dinner in your favorite new outfit, and they point out a stray thread. You get a new car, and they cite some criticism off consumer reports for the model you've picked. You're planning a trip to Europe, they remind you of a recent violent incident there.

Must be a sad way to go through life, always zero'd in on something negative.

We just had some remodeling done and omg the comments we heard from the delivery people, a couple of the tradesmen, the installers. Who asked them to weigh in on the unusual floor plan, the advanced age of the house, why we don’t just move, the paint color, etc., etc.? I don’t know if they were just trying to make conversation or to show off their superior knowledge.
Wow! That's crazy. And disappointing

I've never gotten that kind of snarkiness from anybody I'm paying to work on the house or make a delivery. House is 40 years old with original cabinets, so we qualify for some "feedback."

Maybe he was trying to determine if he needed to protect your furniture in a different way while cleaning your carpet.

Maybe your furniture is Bonded Leather? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

That's my guess. Vinyl might not mind a little moisture wicking in from the carpet, nor would it mildew as easily. Leather is a different animal (<-- see what I did there :) ).

Perhaps the tradesman is simply a competent tradesman and making comments to reflect what's on his mind - being awesome at his job and not destroying the client's property.

Try good consignment stores for gently used leather purses. Or pay big bucks.

If he'd been right, I would have agreed with you.

Perhaps the tradesman is simply a competent tradesman and making comments to reflect what's on his mind - being awesome at his job and not destroying the client's property.

I'm sure it's bicast leather - we wouldn't have spent the $$ for full-hide furniture nine years ago. Bicast is split leather that has a vinyl sealer/strengthener on it, although it's interesting that after nine years, it still smells like leather. Not strongly, but a good leather scent nonetheless. No smell of plastic/vinyl at all.

Interesting discussion.

Wow! That's crazy. And disappointing

I've never gotten that kind of snarkiness from anybody I'm paying to work on the house or make a delivery. House is 40 years old with original cabinets, so we qualify for some "feedback."

It was mostly from young guys who probably live at home. We just smiled but were thinking, “Yes, a 130-year-old house often has some unusual attributes that we know and love well. It’s well-built, paid for, has some of the best schools in the state in walking distance, and we have all the money we’ll ever need in the bank. But sure, tell us what you think.” I think Amethyst’s “it’s vinyl” guy was trying to one-up her. Unsolicited opinions are the new unsolicited advice.

Pleather is the slang term I have heard the bonded leather called. Full grain leather is getting harder to find, agree on that.

I guess the Chinese upper classes that are beating us economically are consuming all the world's leather and selling us the vinyl junk. It's just one of many areas our consumer economy is shifting downward on the world scale.

Do you actually have any data for this, or are you just letting your xenophobia show?

On the topic at hand, this just sounds to me like someone who likes to prop themselves up by putting someone else down. Don't give it another thought - he's not worth it.

Never mind. I guess the cleaner falls in the same category as the fellow-tour-travelers in my other post, who just had to ask us impertinent personal questions. It was because they felt like it, and people nowadays do what they feel like, even when it's rude.

Not sure the job applicant requirements are very rigorous for a carpet cleaner. I could be wrong. :blush:

"Pleather" isn't slang. You can buy pleather in a fabric store for making leather-look clothing. It's plastic made to look like leather; no leather in it at all.

Pleather is the slang term I have heard the bonded leather called. Full grain leather is getting harder to find, agree on that.

Leather is becoming harder to determine.

I looked at some "leather" jackets and they looked really nice, but upon deeper inspection, it turned out they were fake.

I bought a belt at $12 and at first it was fine, but after a year it was falling apart, and it turned out to be thin leather strips glued to cardboard between them.

I know, you are going to say what did I expect for $12 ??
Well first off it said it was "Genuine Leather" just like my other belt which has lasted 6 years and only cost me $5 and I wear it nearly every day.

The $5 one is genuine leather and it's durability is proven.

Back
Top Bottom