The Age Of America Will End In 2016 When China Blows Past Us — IMF

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We debate it here, but now someone has provided the definitive answer. :cool: Guess I'll live it up over the next 5 years...though I remember when Japan was going to own the USA too.
Regardless of when the exact date comes, in other words, we're headed for a new world order--one in which China, not America, will be the center of the world.
The Age Of America Will End In 2016 When China Blows Past Us

More crazy talk
- The USA never surpassed
Great Britain; which never surpassed
Spain; which never surpassed
Italy; which never surpassed
The Holy Roman Empire; which never surpassed

which, never surpassed Rome

Hail Caesar!

More crazy talk
- The USA never surpassed
Great Britain; which never surpassed
Spain; which never surpassed
Italy; which never surpassed
The Holy Roman Empire; which never surpassed

which, never surpassed Rome

Hail Caesar!

++++ 1

Just an aside: There was a time when the Pope made a deal with Attila, to not sack Rome.

I'll say that even with 4 times as many people as the US, the Chinese political class could still screw it up.

But they've been remarkably adept on the economic front for the last three decades. They're bound to run into problems with distribution of wealth, civil rights, pollution, etc. But recent history says those will be more like bumps in the road, not show stoppers.

I would much rather live in the US than China even after they pass us based on PPP... our standard of living will be much higher....

Also, I am sure there are/will be problems that will not come out in the press.. IOW, there are billions of people over there that live in the country and do not participate in the Chinese growth... at some point in time that will have to be taken care of....

China will take GDP lead, but not close to GDP per capital lead. Their STD of living is improving rapidly but still not close to USA.

China will have problems in a few years. Remember their one child policy? Population is aging and there won't be enough young people to support them.

The IMF had to pick an obscure economic measure to find one where China would beat the US soon. Still, the size of the Chinese economy should exceed the US using conventional measures before too long. So what? More important measures of what defines 'The Age of <country x>' include a military no one in their right mind would to take on head to head, a currency that is the standard for pricing world trade, a combination of legal, political and military factors that make their country's banks, equities and tangible assets one to hold in times of great uncertainty.

Besides, China is running out of sources of fresh water.

The IMF had to pick an obscure economic measure to find one where China would beat the US soon. ...

Probably looking for an increase in ChiCom IMF funding!! Appeal to their vanity (Madison avenue).

:D

China has more than three times the number of people we do. It is unrealistic to assume that they'll never be able to use the same technologies and techniques we employ to raise their standard of living to at least one-third the level we enjoy. And I'm not sure why anyone would hope that their 1.3B people remain impoverished forever. I don't.

Back
Top Bottom