The Bear Finally Came Out of Hibernation

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So with today's market end, the bear is out of his long hibernation. Wonder how long the bear will last?

I think the whole concept is silly. Some bozo, somewhere, picked 20% as a threshold. Astrologer? Market Technician? Talking head? Same thing regardless. And why 20? Why not 21? 38.5? 19.6? 12.8? ...

Mr. Market has no interest in the number and neither do I. YMMV of course.

S&P is not down 20% yet at closing.:D

The media needs something to alarm us about. I means besides eminent death from a virus.

So with today's market end, the bear is out of his long hibernation. Wonder how long the bear will last?

A few months at least I would guess. Longer? Who knows?

I guess the S&P500 hasn't crossed the line yet.

I guess we go down at least another 10%, but could be more.

Down another 10% just tomorrow or all total?

Peeking at the Dow Futures, down by over 1000 pts already as I type.

The credit markets are effectively frozen. In a bunch of them it is hard to even find quotes on spreads or prices because there is basically no trading going on. Unless the logjam gets broken PDQ, you can plan on the S&P crossing the bear market line and a whole lot more.

Looks like ROTH conversion time is here. I think the slide has a ways to go yet, but I think I will plan to do some conversions on Friday. I expect the market to be down before the weekend.

I am not ready to buy into the market yet, but the ROTH conversions let me transfer most of my remaining equities at a discount.

Last edited:
Tomorrow seems as good a day to jump in as any.

I haven't bothered to do any trading or rebalancing in my 401(k) since my retirement in 2015. Got about 10% in money market and the rest in equity. Time to push in those chips and let it ride. I'll do it in one shot so I won't have to bother with it for another 5 years.

Lucky Dude

Wow, this is a grizzly and roaring!

I remember in 2008, 20% down didn’t happen until July, and that was 9 months after the Oct 2007 peak.

The Dow all time high was a month ago today! And the S&P 500 all time high on 2/19/20.

I guess it’s because things have been so very richly valued like trees growing to the sky. But I don’t remember ever seeing this kind of velocity.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a grizzly and roaring!

I remember in 2008, 20% down didn’t happen until July, and that was 9 months after the Oct 2007 peak.

The Dow all time high was a month ago today!

I guess it’s because things have been so very richly valued like trees growing to the sky. But I don’t remember ever seeing this kind of velocity.

Hopefully March comes in like a grizzly and goes out like a bull. Turnarounds do not have take a protracted amount of time.

Hopefully March comes in like a grizzly and goes out like a bull. Turnarounds do not have take a protracted amount of time.
Those fast market turnarounds are usually associated with no underlying economic issues. I don’t think we are in that scenario. Ultimately the markets are realizing that many (most?) Americans are going to be staying home and not out spending, and that has a huge economic impact.

There's been a Bear in the shadows for a while.
How’s that? He sure was hiding!

Honestly, if it weren’t for the coronavirus, this party could have lasted way longer as the economy was still in good shape and unemployment low.

It took a major external shock to change things.

Back
Top Bottom