The Best Place to Live

Seriously? You think Naperville is at the very bottom of places to live? Have you spent any time in Calumet City, North Chicago or East St Louis? Naperville might not be first on my list but I can think of dozens of other places I'd rank below it in terms of where I'd hang my hat.

Actually, they lost me at "Illinois" Leaving out the politics (as in one party politics) the state is broke from unfunded pensions etc. When it finally hits the fan, it's gonna be "last one out, turn off the lights." But, as always, YMMV.

The best place, is likely different for each of us. In looking at places to retire, every one has advantages and disadvantages, depending on what your priorities are. I live in Hawaii, and have debated the best place to retire many times. Here are a few pros and cons for my state.

Hawaii Pros
-Nearly earthquake-free (except Hawaii Island, frequent but small)
-Nearly tsunami and hurricane-free (happens once in a few decades)
-Isolated
-Clean air (except around Kilauea)
-One of the most moderate climates in the world (I wear shorts year-round)
-Good to great water sports year-round; world-class surfing

Hawaii Cons
-High cost of living
-Traffic on Oahu
-Remote - difficult and time-consuming to fly anywhere economically
-A lot of people, relatively speaking, at 1 million+
-Inefficient government
-Really bad roads

Anyway, whenever someone says their state is best, or their town is best, I think about the US, and there are only a few places where I, as a diver, could really be happy! Everyone's needs/wants/desires/budgets are different!

Actually, they lost me at "Illinois" Leaving out the politics (as in one party politics) the state is broke from unfunded pensions etc. When it finally hits the fan, it's gonna be "last one out, turn off the lights." But, as always, YMMV.

It has become somewhat amusing. Friends and relatives that are moving out of Illinois ask others " when are you moving?" just to make sure that they aren't the last ones to move out.

Can't argue with you about Illinois....... The politics here has us eternally doomed it seems. (Just check the prison rolls for our ex-governors!) But, given Illinois, I can think of many cities, towns, suburbs, etc., I'd rank as less desireble than Naperville.

Last edited:
We would go back (Lived there for 15 years when W*rking) to Southern / Central California if real estate prices in nice areas a sensible distance from the Ocean was not so expensive. Seems like the only really affordable SoCAL homes are either fabricated or Mobile and we are not into that. Trust me I have looked in the last 3 years.

Heh...DH and I are thinking about relocating. When I look at 'best place to live' sites, most of them either have the city I'm living in now or the communities surrounding me. :facepalm:

So...ok, I'll admit we have everything we need around here, but we'd like less traffic, a larger lot and some decent scenery. Hopefully when we find the right place, we'll be able to live there a few years before it grows into a megalopolis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom