The Cost/Value of "Free"

call me cynical.

"A cynic knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.

Appropriate for this thread, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
For what it's worth, until about a year ago we actually had a gas station in town that provided free air. I actually made it a point to buy gas there as long as they weren't a lot more expensive. But when they removed their "free" air and replaced it with a machine that charged a dollar for air that you usually had to "feed" twice, I ended that loyalty.

Many gas stations have those machines. But they (usually from my experience )have a "button" near the counter that they can push for their "customers". If you indeed buy gas there, they will push the button and allow you some "free" air.

Many gas stations have those machines. But they (usually from my experience )have a "button" near the counter that they can push for their "customers". If you indeed buy gas there, they will push the button and allow you some "free" air.

My local gas station has a button, too, so I don't have to pay for air because I am a regular customer.

My dad was an infantryman in WW II, fighting through North Africa and Italy until he got wounded and sent back to the US. I don't know exactly where he encountered those costly doughnuts, but it made a huge impression on him.

For the rest of his life, he never forgave the Red Cross for charging for doughnuts, while the Salvation Army handed them out nearby for free. He kept that chip on his shoulder any time the Red Cross was mentioned (and conversely had nothing but warm fuzzies about the Salvation Army).

I first heard this story maybe a decade or so and did some tracking down of the story turns out it wasn't always true generally the Red Cross would hand them out free overseas, but in the US they did charge.

Anyway the story effected my giving and since over the years I've heard a number of complaints about the Red Cross (although I am sure the good work they do out number the bad at least 10 fold.).
But I practically never hear anything bad about the Salvation Army (and the head of even huge Salvation Army chapter never make even $100K) they get my money and not the Red Cross

On the uniforms made in China thing - aren't most of the US flags people buy for their patriotic activities also made in China?

The story was very interesting! I, too, love those Planet Money features. And found it quite interesting that the girl interviewed mentioned that the US Govt required them to start charging, because the other Allied forces were having to pay for donuts, so it was on the way to being an international incident. But clearly that part of the story never got "out there". I also thought it was amazing that so many veterans knew the story, even if they themselves were never charged for donuts.

Thanks for the link--I've got to remember to check for Planet Money episodes more often on their website.

Oh, and I buy Annin flags. They are very well-made and we flew three in Peru on the Junket--A US on the back, and SC + NC on top. I love our SC flag best of all, though. Annin is a neat company, for sure.

mickeyd said:
If you read the Op, that's what it said.

I didn't see it in the OP or linked article. Maybe in the podcast? I didn't listen to that. My apologies if that was redundant information.

Back
Top Bottom