The DMV and federal privacy laws

dirtbiker

Full time employment: Posting here.
So I glance at my inspection sticker on the way to work this morning and notice it expires at the end of the month. No problem. I'll renew my registration online at work and then drop it off at a garage just down the road from me. Well, I search and search and can't find my registration card. This is a new vehicle bought last year that I haven't had to re-register yet. I find the temporary card, but not the permanent one. Hmmm. I don't recall ever receiving my registration in the mail now that I think about it. Maybe I missed it (but I doubt it). But I definitely didn't receive a renewal in the mail. So without my registration number I can't process the renewal online. I call the DMV and after a long wait, here's how it went:

Me: I explain the situation and request the registration number.

DMV: Sorry sir, we can't give that information out over the phone due to federal privacy laws.

Me: So you have it in front of you, but you can't give it to me?

DMV: Yes. Due to federal privacy laws.

Me: How does this prevent you from giving me information about my registration?

DMV: You could be anyone and we have no way to verify it is you.

Me: Could I verify my personal information like I do over the phone for dozens and dozens of other places, including government entities?

DMV: Sorry sir, federal privacy laws do not allow this.

Me: (skeptical) Okay, how do I go about requesting this registration number?

DMV: Fill out form MV-140. Mail it to us. We'll process it within 10 business days and then we'll send it back to you within 6-8 business days.

Me: That's going to take a long time. Can I stop into my local DMV to get this number? I can verify my identity to them.

DMV: Sorry, they are unable to provide that information.

Me: :mad:

I called a local notary and told them the situation, and they said it'll be no problem; they can get me the duplicate title in just a few minutes in person. So at least I can do this, but why does it always have to be so difficult dealing with the DMV (or government in general)? And does this federal privacy law that they kept mentioning actually prohibit them from giving this information over the phone? Or is it just a way to shut me up?

They merely have you pegged as a poor tipper

When you walk up to the window at the DMV, hold up a $20 bill and ask "Did you happen drop this? I found it just where you were standing a few minutes ago."

If they won't give you what you want, say "Oops, sorry, this wasn't it." Then try again with a 50. :D

Ha ha ha! I kill me!

When you walk up to the window at the DMV, hold up a $20 bill and ask "Did you happen drop this? I found it just where you were standing a few minutes ago."

If they won't give you what you want, say "Oops, sorry, this wasn't it." Then try again with a 50. :D

Ha ha ha! I kill me!

LOL...you kill me too :D:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom