The Education Bubble starting to deflate?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Irate law school grads say they were misled about job prospects | NJ.com

Back To School - Walter Russell Mead's Blog - The American Interest

The education bubble might be next one to burst as prospective students start to look at the cost and their prospects.
Like the housing bubble, the price of a college education has been rising without abatement and spread into marginal areas (colleges). Foreign students might keep it going for awhile in the higher end schools.
The Walter Russel Mead piece is excellent. Early on I could see that the work world my kids would face was going to be quite different from mine. They were natural iconoclasts who had no interest in being grade getters or toadies and overall, I think it served them well. Studying math and science at a large West Coast University is a quick entrance into the real world 21st century edition, since Koreans and Chinese and Indians and Russians are usually not into keggars and being stoned, and they are your classmates and competitors. Both my sons paid their way through school working as programmers, with skills they learned as kids, so they were not confused about what it takes to do well in a career and often were very much more in touch with the work world than their professors could ever hope to be.

Another real world fact that is lost on many students is that the professors are out for themselves, and for the most part do not give 2 sh*ts about what will become of their students. Students must look out for #1, as everybody else is doing that, no matter how skillful they might be at disguising that fact.

Ha

+1
The Education Bubble - a catchy phrase.

The Walter Russel Mead piece is excellent. Early on I could see that the work world my kids would face was going to be quite different from mine. They were natural iconoclasts who had no interest in being grade getters or toadies and overall, I think it served them well. Studying math and science at a large West Coast University is a quick entrance into the real world 21st century edition, since Koreans and Chinese and Indians and Russians are usually not into keggars and being stoned, and they are your classmates and competitors. Ha

My experience getting an engineering degree from a west coast university confirm this.

Both my sons paid their way through school working as programmers, with skills they learned as kids, so they were not confused about what it takes to do well in a career and often were very much more in touch with the work world than their professors could ever hope to be.

Another real world fact that is lost on many students is that the professors are out for themselves, and for the most part do not give 2 sh*ts about what will become of their students. Students must look out for #1, as everybody else is doing that, no matter how skillful they might be at disguising that fact.

Ha

My undergrad and grad school experiences confirm the fact that many technical and business professors are out of touch with how things are done in industry or the "real world". At best, they just cover the basics so you can build on them when you go out into the non-academic world.
Not all professors are uncaring, wrongly motivated or out of touch but many are. What is surely true is that there is a higher learning bubble and no one at a university is going to give you as clear of a picture of the work world - education dynamic as the Walter Russel Mead article does.

Free to canoe

Back
Top Bottom