The great Northwest, USA

If you enjoy wine, you could go to Woodinville. Tons of wine tasting opportunities. Most Washington wineries have a presence there.

I'd second the San Juan islands. Orcas is a nice option with a trip up Mount Constitution. Fabulous views. San Juan island is also nice and you can check out the English/American camps. You could then take the ferry over to Victoria BC, check out the Butchart Gardens and then head over to Vancouver.

If you have the time, drive up to Anacortes (hang a right on state route 20 from I5 at Burlington) and take the Friday Harbor ferry to San Juan island. ....
Driving north from Portland to Seattle, then heading further north to beautiful Vancouver BC on Interstate 5, will take you to this crossroad. It's some 90 minutes drive north of Seattle.

However, it's a "hang a left," not a right, just north of Mount Vernon on SR 20. :cool: Between I5 and Anacortes, you might consider taking a short detour south to LaConner--a beautiful little community along the waterway (if you ignore the obvious tourist 'traps' there).

As mentioned by Fermion, the stunning and photogenic Deception Pass is nearby. Takes some 20 minutes or so from LaConner to get there.

The downtown Seattle Pike Place Market is an obvious tourist choice--with that too-much-seen throwing of the fish. Still it is a fun place to spend a couple of hours to visit and mingle among the crowd and have some good food to eat. (Recall that the original Starbucks is here at the Pike Place Market.) But there is so much else beyond those Pike Place/thrown fish/Starbucks stereotypes to enjoy in the greater Seattle area. Especially if you are traveling from Portland to Vancouver BC.

Last edited:
We could keep you busy for a month visiting the places we love to share with friends. Any wonder why it is difficult to pry us out of our Great Northwest?

Thanks for all the great suggestions! And I am not deterred by overcast or soggy weather.

Back
Top Bottom