The IRS says it owes me more money back

DeborahB

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just had to share this one - apparently I miscalculated my estimated tax for this year (or turbotax didn't have what I really sent in) and my refund is much higher than I expected. So the letter from the IRS says. Now THAT'S the kind of letter I like to get from them!

And next year... I owe them nothing. Oh darn.

:dance::dance::dance:

Do nothing and wait for the refund to be credited to your account on the expected date. Spend the windfall wisely, you lucky dog.

Congrats, thinker, but +1,000,000 on double-checking everything.
Even call IRS prob resolution office to confirm.
Similar thing happened to good neighbor of ours & turned out to be variant of ID theft (promised IRS "refund" but it was just excuse to obtain sensitive financial info). Now going on 3 yrs & it still is not resolved.

Also make sure you save that letter and that you can pay it back it if were an error. If it turns out this letter was a mistake and they come to you later saying you *did* owe that money, well, you'd still have to pay it back but this letter should be sufficient to avoid penalties.

My company once got a check back from the irs and after awhile we cashed it.....6 months later we got a letter saying we under paid by the same amount....had to pay it back with interest but no penalty.

A few years ago, I received a check with a letter when I overpaid my state tax bill in April. I had failed to take a $20 tax credit I had barely qualified for and have not qualified for since (but I am now on the lookout for it and have programmed my homemade spreadsheet accordingly).

Back
Top Bottom