The Joy of Homeowning

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I came home last night and dumped a pan I had soaking in the sink and suddenly my feet got very wet. So after I cleaned up the water I took down the joint that goes to the side of my double sink that has no disposal. The downpiece extension barely entered the receiver on the tee below. It is amazing that it ever worked. I suppose I must have bumped the drainage system getting something out from under the sink and ended its delicate balance.

I have an old fashioned hardware store 3 blocks away, where the guys know a lot, so I managed to get everything I needed to fix the sink for $10, including a pretty fair hacksaw.

This is not really fun for me, but I didn't want to shell out for a plumber for something this simple. If I can get rid of the junk in my storeroom I'll buy a few tools.

Job done, and so far no leaks. :dance:

Ha

Congrats on the quick fix! :D

Whenever I notice a plumbing problem, I scream..."Call 911!"
smiley-scared002.gif

Now you know why I generally refer to it as being a "homoaner."

Congrats on the quick fix! :D

Whenever I notice a plumbing problem, I scream..."Call 911!"
smiley-scared002.gif

I have a leaky kitchen faucet that i've done nothing about for 4 years. It only leaks if I actualy have the faucet on.

I would have bet the farm you would have included a 'fore' somewhere in that response...

Nah. but I had to resist adding comments about my comforts within someone else's skin.

I came home last night and dumped a pan I had soaking in the sink and suddenly my feet got very wet. So after I cleaned up the water I took down the joint that goes to the side of my double sink that has no disposal. The downpiece extension barely entered the receiver on the tee below. It is amazing that it ever worked. I suppose I must have bumped the drainage system getting something out from under the sink and ended its delicate balance.

I have an old fashioned hardware store 3 blocks away, where the guys know a lot, so I managed to get everything I needed to fix the sink for $10, including a pretty fair hacksaw.

This is not really fun for me, but I didn't want to shell out for a plumber for something this simple. If I can get rid of the junk in my storeroom I'll buy a few tools.

Job done, and so far no leaks. :dance:

Ha

Well done! I'll bet a plumber would have cost several hundred dollars.

I think plumbing surprises are a rite of passage for new homeowners. Days after I bought my present house (ten years ago), the hot water in my shower wouldn't turn off. I had to call an emergency plumber.

I think plumbing surprises are a rite of passage for new homeowners. Days after I bought my present house (ten years ago), the hot water in my shower wouldn't turn off. I had to call an emergency plumber.
What did that turn out to be? What an odd event.

Too bad about the inconvenience, but well handled!

What did that turn out to be? What an odd event.

I think it just needed a new washer, but I know zero about plumbing. He took apart the hot water knob/handle, fixed it, and put it back together. The worst part was that while waiting for him, I couldn't even remember how to turn the water to the house off! This was because it was a new house and I was pretty rattled. Also this happened on a Friday night at about 10 PM (could any time be less convenient? :LOL:). The emergency plumber came within an hour and fixed it. It sure shook my confidence, though.

Haven't had any such weird plumbing problems since.

Last edited:
Aw, Ha! For a [-]geezer[/-] man of your experience, surely you have faced more than this little plumbing problem in your life.

How many years have you been a renter, such that you have forgotten all the [-]joys[/-] skills that a home owner possesses? ;)

I'll say you need to get an RV next, to keep yourself busy. :)

Last edited:
The joys of home ownership . We have replaced garbage disposals ,water heater elements , fixed leaks , replaced two sinks and lots of other plumbing quick fixes . Okay not we but the So did all that and I watched him !

My DH hates plumbing problems and always says that he would never make it as a plumber. I do not stand and watch him. I get as far away as possible.

Good job, Ha.

W2R said:

A man's wife gets stuck to the toilet. He calls a plumber, and puts a hat in the wife's lap to cover her. The plumber says "I can get her unstuck, but I can't do much for the man."

I hate plumbing problems. I like to tell people I only know three things about plumbing.

1) S#%t rolls down hill.
2) Don't lick your fingers.
3) And payday is on Friday.

But there is always pride of accomplishment when your finished.Good job!
CJ

Oddly enough, immediately after reading this thread I discovered that the plastic hose to my kitchen sink sprayer has developed a pinhole leak. I guess it's off to Home Depot tomorrow.

Oddly enough, immediately after reading this thread I discovered that the plastic hose to my kitchen sink sprayer has developed a pinhole leak. I guess it's off to Home Depot tomorrow.
Have a ball!

Back
Top Bottom