The perils of extreme wealth

Status
Not open for further replies.
... If you are driving a Mercedes or BMW or other luxury cars living in a mediocre area of the town it can bring some unwanted attention...

Then, it's better to live in a place where they have Rolls-Royce and Bentleys. Driving a Mercedes, you would be thought of as a tailor or hairdresser just visiting a client.

Then, it's better to live in a place where they have Rolls-Royce and Bentleys. Driving a Mercedes, you would be thought of as a tailor or hairdresser just visiting a client.

Agree. At our Arizona place our BMW’s are commonplace. Rolls, Bentley’s, Ferrari’s, Lambo’s needed to even get a glance. I’m safe here.

Barry Sherman drove a 1999 Ford Mustang. Honey Sherman drove a Lexus.

I doubt many of us are hiring guards (not me certainly!), but if you do then hiring the right people is very very important.

If you've seen the movie, "I, Tonya" then you know this is true.

Now this morning it was announced that Rob Gronkowski's home was burglarized while he was away all last week. I'd have thought he'd hire a house sitter or have an alarm system or something.

Of course being Massachusetts, the main story is that he owned some guns that were also stolen, which will now likely cancel out any of his on-field heroics and goodwill of the past 5 years.

I'm reminded of a news story in the early 90's that actually put me off ever buying an expensive car. A local couple getting into a new car (forget the make) were followed to their home by thugs who hid outside till the lights were off, then broke in, shot the couple in their bed, robbed the home and stole the car (it's how they were caught). Gave me nightmares. Literally drove beaters and cheap cars for decades. Even though our current car is nice, it's not a status make and is seen on the roads in droves.
I’ve been uncomfortable about having a conspicuous car.

But here in the Valley there are so many BMWs, Mercedes, and giant expensive top end SUVs and trucks that any luxury vehicle would blend right in. Unless it was a Ferrari or Maserati - only seen a couple of those.

I doubt many of us are hiring guards (not me certainly!), but if you do then hiring the right people is very very important.

I have relatives who live in NOTAFIRSTWORLDCOUNTRY and had a guard at their house. The guard apparently didn't think he was being paid enough and invited and assisted some of his friends to pull a home invasion. It was an awful experience.

So educate yourself and make sure you are working with the right people.

Right - I’ve been even more worried about being a victim of any hired security!

Thanks for an interesting discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom