The Ten Commandments of Investing

AtlasShrugged

Recycles dryer sheets
An old friend of mine recently asked me to help her with her investments. I thought the best place to start was with a simple set of principles. Inasmuch as she is a devout Catholic, I prepared “The Ten Commandments of Investing” for her. While I’m serious about the underlying principles, I wanted to deliver them to her in a fun and memorable way.

I’ve noticed that many people on this forum have a good sense of humor. In the name of fun, I’d like to ask you guys for your thoughts as to how you would improve my commandments … particularly their level of humor.

Thanks, and here they are:

The Ten Commandments of Investing

1. Thou shalt thinketh for thyself.

2. Thou shalt educate thyself and make thine own investment plan. If not, be prepared to spend a lot of money on lousy advice from high-priced investment helpers.

3. Thou shalt simplify, diversify, and keep thine investment costs low or thou shall dwell in the house of the poor.

4. Thou shalt only invest in investments thou understandeth.

5. Thou shalt determine thine risk tolerance based on thine ability, willingness, and need to take risk. Thou shall invest in a manner that allows thee to sleep well at night.

6. Thou shalt not kill thine portfolio through excessive trading. Thou shalt buy and hold and limit trading to: a) new investments, b) rebalancing, and c) the occasional correction of thine boneheaded investment decisions.

7. Thou shalt try really really hard not to time the market. The only exception is if common sense tells thee that: a) the stock market appears outrageously overvalued or undervalued; or b) bond yields appear wildly attractive or unattractive.

8. Thou shalt not covet thine neighbor’s investment plan because thine neighbor: a) may not knoweth what he is doing; or b) may have a different financial situation and risk tolerance than thee.

9. Thou shalt have no false investment gods before thee. Thou shalt not pay attention to “financial experts,” economists, and the financial media.

10. Thou shalt always question thine most strongly held investment beliefs and keep thine mind open to learning new investment principles and concepts.

I like it!

Cute! I’d change #9 from “gods” to “prophets.”

Spot on but what is the penalty of breaking one or more of the commandments. Condemned forever and forced to watch Ameriprise commercials for all eternity :confused:?

Change #7 to "Thou shalt not time the market".
Overall I like it a lot but I agree with this edit.

Spot on but what is the penalty of breaking one or more of the commandments. Condemned forever and forced to watch Ameriprise commercials for all eternity :confused:?
Your name will be given to a newly-minted Eddie Jones rep.

7. ...The only exception is if common sense tells thee that: a) the stock market appears outrageously overvalued or undervalued; or b) bond yields appear wildly attractive or unattractive.

This requires self control and objectiveness that 99% of people don't have.

Originally there were 20 commandments, but he dropped half of them and they broke.

Perfect. You captured the spirit of my post.

That said, I'm getting the sense people aren't wild about my seventh commandment.
Overall, both humorous and true. #7, eh, I've got no problem with people who try to time the market. It's not for me, but I wouldn't see a problem with trying, especially perhaps with just a part of your portfolio, maybe the excess over what you need to live on.

If you're looking for another, how about "Thou shall not let the tax tail wag thy dog."

Last edited:
Excellent! I do agree that qualifying the "no timing" commandment overcomplicates things when the goal is to give a short list of guiding principles. I would change it to "7. Thou shalt not time the market."

Also, I read #8 and I couldn't resist suggesting this edit:

8. Thou shalt not covet thine neighbor’s investment plan because thine neighbor: a) may [-]not knoweth what he is doing[/-] haveth a head of more bone than brain; or b) may have a different financial situation and risk tolerance than thee.

Last edited:
Based on your feedback thus far, it appears Commandment #7 (No Market Timing) needs to be amended ... particularly in light of Commandment #10 (Open Mindedness).

"Thou shalt not time the market" is a perfectly good commandment, but it's a touch harsh. Does anyone have an suggestions for getting the point across with a little bit of humor? We wouldn't want to scare away newer members of the flock.

Originally there were 20 commandments, but he dropped half of them and they broke.

In that case, what are the Other Ten?

My #11: Do not mention investing at parties, upon penalty of finding yourself standing alone. Even if people ask for your advice, don’t bother, as your advice will have no effect. Instead, buy them a trustworthy book and send them away. The few who are genuine seekers of knowledge will find their own way to these commandments.

Based on your feedback thus far, it appears Commandment #7 (No Market Timing) needs to be amended ... particularly in light of Commandment #10 (Open Mindedness).

"Thou shalt not time the market" is a perfectly good commandment, but it's a touch harsh. Does anyone have an suggestions for getting the point across with a little bit of humor? We wouldn't want to scare away newer members of the flock.
How about "Thou shall not that thou has special knowledge of the market that no one else has." or something like that?

I dunno, the whole thing is funny enough, I think you can be straightforward with that one, considering we all know how tempting it is to think "well, THIS has got to be the top/bottom of the market", or to lose sight of your long-term strategy when looking at short-term outcomes. But if you really need to sugar-coat it, I think RunningBum's got a good take on it.

Back
Top Bottom