Thinking about a Tesla truck

RE: Towing video -

Looks like they are both guilty of marketing hype, though Tesla's was directed smack at a competitor, so rather poor form, IMO.

Yes, people are claiming the Ford is the smaller version (2.7L?) and clearly 2W drive, which would have it losing right there in this sort of demo.

Though I'd expect that even a $ to $ match to a Ford configured truck might lose to the Tesla. EVs do have low end torque, and are heavy with all those batteries, so could have better traction. But it's not a meaningful test, I don't think pickup towing is limited in this same way in real life situations. Would it ever be? Actual truck owners can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

And in that rebuttal, they say Ford demo'd their electric truck, towing a 1,000,000 pound train. That is also just marketing hype. Towing train cars (steel wheels on steel rails) has almost no bearing on what a truck can do in real life on a road.

Apparently, a human can tow train cars of about 1/3rd that weight.
-ERD50

Yeah, and if you notice in the Ford video, they use a standard 2000ish lb. tow strap. Pure marketing hype.

This is interesting. I had never considered that factory settings would be 80-90% charged.

I can't comment on Tesla battery technology since I don't know what it is. But, my understanding when I purchased my 2012 Camry hybrid was that the car computer tries very hard to keep the batteries in the area of 20%-80% of a full charge. Based upon the visual picture of my RAV4 hybrid (assuming it's accurate) my Rav4 rarely goes below 40% and almost never hits 100% of charge. Since batteries are most stressed when fully discharged and fully charged, the idea is to keep them in the middle area of little stress so as to prolong battery life. So I've been told. The stories of Prius' (or is it Prii?) going 200,000+ miles on the original batteries seems to reinforce that they are doing something right.

Like I said, I am not an electrical engineer and I don't play one on TV. ;)

In a tug of war like that, traction makes a huge difference, and the Cybertruck has much wider tires than the Ford.

In a tug of war like that, traction makes a huge difference, and the Cybertruck has much wider tires than the Ford.

The whole thing is silly. In real life, truck owners that use their vehicles for this sort of thing do not care whether their truck can briefly pull enormous weights. They care if the truck can pull their load/trailer and do so safely, in a well controlled manner up and down hills, and can do so all day and every day if needed.

The whole thing is silly. In real life, truck owners that use their vehicles for this sort of thing do not care whether their truck can briefly pull enormous weights. They care if the truck can pull their load/trailer and do so safely, in a well controlled manner up and down hills, and can do so all day and every day if needed.

+1

After the window embarrassment, I hope Mr. Musk has his engineers and technicians go over the truck very carefully before they start filming. I'm sure Ford will do so.

The amount of bro science in this thread is spectacular.

I do find it odd how people automatically hate electric vehicles. Its interesting. How long has the combustion engine vs electric been around? Electric cars...has it been 20 years that they went mainstream? Yeah, I know electric vehicles were invented in the 1800's...but very little tech went into improving electric.

The combustion on the other hand...thats been in full force for close to 100ish years?

Now imagine what electric cars will be like 80 years from now? Almost a century was wasted of not improving electric cars...because oil was king.

People are scared of change, its human nature. I hate this term but I feel like saying it to most of the posts here..."ok, boomer."

Last edited:
I do find it odd how people automatically hate electric vehicles.

Not everyone "hates" electric cars. I'd have one for a second vehicle if the price was justifiable (to me, not the masses).

Although I would probably buy a hybrid instead. Or a Chev. Volt.

Right now, the electric car appears to be MOSTLY a government subsidized expensive toy for wealthy people.

I do like the technology, and it will get better, but the claims on ICE vehicles being gone in a short time, made by FANBOYS who generally have no proof to substantiate them, turn me offf :rolleyes:

Not everyone "hates" electric cars. I'd have one for a second vehicle if the price was justifiable (to me, not the masses).

Although I would probably buy a hybrid instead. Or a Chev. Volt.

Right now, the electric car appears to be MOSTLY a government subsidized expensive toy for wealthy people.

I do like the technology, and it will get better, but the claims on ICE vehicles being gone in a short time, made by FANBOYS who generally have no proof to substantiate them, make my stomach turn. :rolleyes:

+1. Add "if you like your mode of transportation, you can keep your mode of transportation" to the list of concerns whenever the feddle gubmint gets involved in this sort of thing. I plan to keep my current truck until it disintegrates or becomes very unreliable, but if I get the impression that the gubmint plans to force electrics down everyone's throats I will be buying a new truck and keeping until I disintegrate/become very unreliable.

Oh, and I don't care in the slightest what electric [-]toys[/-] cars are like in 80 years because I will be long dead.

I do find it odd how people automatically hate electric vehicles. Its interesting. How long has the combustion engine vs electric been around?
You might want to update your perceptions, see #4 below.

Tesla-Model-3-vs-Top-20-Auto-Sales-USA.png

Tesla-Model-3-Top-15-Car-Sales.png

Tesla-Model-3-Midsize-Luxury-Car-Sales-Q3-2019-USA-CleanTechnica.png

Last edited:

You're right...let me update my perception. People who spend time posting to online forums generally dislike electric cars. It ruffles their feathers.

Sadly, electric vehicles get thrown into a category of "save the planet and baby seals." So by default, certain groups of people who disagree with these things will hate on it no matter what. There is just no way around it. Its unfortunate.

You're right...let me update my perception. People who spend time posting to online forums generally dislike electric cars. It ruffles their feathers.

Sadly, electric vehicles get thrown into a category of "save the planet and baby seals." So by default, certain groups of people who disagree with these things will hate on it no matter what. There is just no way around it. Its unfortunate.

Personally, I resent that my tax dollars are used to subsidize this nonsense and that many states force the sale of such vehicles. You want one? Buy it without help from me, same as I do with the vehicles I choose to buy.

Personally, I resent that my tax dollars are used to subsidize this nonsense and that many states force the sale of such vehicles. You want one? Buy it without help from me, same as I do with the vehicles I choose to buy.

I hope you also realize that a burger should cost around $40...but it doesnt, because beef its subsidized. Or pretty much everything that is farmed is subsidized. Are you going to stop eating?

edit: some burgers do cost that much, im talking bottom of the barrel burgers you buy at a grocery store. Yeah, that product is heavily subsidized by uncle sam.

I hope you also realize that a burger should cost around $40...but it doesnt, because beef its subsidized. Or pretty much everything that is farmed is subsidized. Are you going to stop eating?

edit: some burgers do cost that much, im talking bottom of the barrel burgers you buy at a grocery store. Yeah, that product is heavily subsidized by uncle sam.

99% of the meat I eat is either stuff I shot myself or from animals raised by friends or 4H kids on their own. Yes, I don't care for our ridiculous outsized subsidies of the farm sector. The only excuse is that we have to be able to feed ourselves, but it is a flimsy excuse. Electric vehicles don't even have that fig leaf.

With the government getting into everything, it may be hard to find any product that is not subsidized to some extent.

Now, people proudly say "My subsidy is BIGGER than your subsidy". :LOL:

Last edited:
99% of the meat I eat is either stuff I shot myself or from animals raised by friends or 4H kids on their own. Yes, I don't care for our ridiculous outsized subsidies of the farm sector. The only excuse is that we have to be able to feed ourselves, but it is a flimsy excuse. Electric vehicles don't even have that fig leaf.

Even shooting something yourself is subsidized. Various agencies and policing to keep the animals from being hunted to extinction and allow for sport hunting. Imagine if everyone were just able to kill whatever they could, either species, any time of year. People are so self centered and rather stupid and deer would be extinct in a few seasons. Same with fishing.

I hate the regulations when I am hunting/fishing, but I do realize what it would be like without them and I also understand that for most things, the government is subsidizing the sport even with the licenses and tags.

I'd consider an electric truck if the towing range and capacity was reasonable. I passed on the Highlander hybrid, for example, because the towing capacity was 1500 pounds less than the regular gas model.

Last edited:

Tesla-Model-3-vs-Top-20-Auto-Sales-USA.png

Tesla-Model-3-Midsize-Luxury-Car-Sales-Q3-2019-USA-CleanTechnica.png

Those are sales numbers, not prices, which is my stumbling block. I won't consider a new or used Tesla as they have no easily accessed local dealer network and parts are difficult or nearly impossible to obtain. Much has been documented about this service problem and I'm not going to bother going over that again.

If I were to buy a EV or hybrid, I would buy used since it would be a second vehicle. I'll keep our main van for the long hauls and the fact that we need a wheelchair suitable vehicle for DW. In the meantime, I'll keep my 22 year old mint condition F150 as my second vehicle. If it gets wrecked, or blows up (low risk), then I'll consider a hybrid or EV, used, of course.

+1. Add "if you like your mode of transportation, you can keep your mode of transportation" to the list of concerns whenever the feddle gubmint gets involved in this sort of thing. I plan to keep my current truck until it disintegrates or becomes very unreliable, but if I get the impression that the gubmint plans to force electrics down everyone's throats I will be buying a new truck and keeping until I disintegrate/become very unreliable.

Oh, and I don't care in the slightest what electric [-]toys[/-] cars are like in 80 years because I will be long dead.

Impression? About 3 weeks ago a Senator from NY revealed his plans to get rid of ICE cars. I'm sure when they have the opportunity/power the plan will be far more draconian.

Those are sales numbers, not prices, which is my stumbling block. I won't consider a new or used Tesla as they have no easily accessed local dealer network and parts are difficult or nearly impossible to obtain. Much has been documented about this service problem and I'm not going to bother going over that again.

If I were to buy a EV or hybrid, I would buy used since it would be a second vehicle. I'll keep our main van for the long hauls and the fact that we need a wheelchair suitable vehicle for DW. In the meantime, I'll keep my 22 year old mint condition F150 as my second vehicle. If it gets wrecked, or blows up (low risk), then I'll consider a hybrid or EV, used, of course.
I was referring to the other poster who stated "I do find it odd how people automatically hate electric vehicles" and sales numbers would suggest otherwise. I was agreeing with you, not commenting on price though a plain Model 3 can be had around $40K? Like you, when/if we buy an EV, we'll still have an ICE or hybrid.

I was referring to the other poster who stated "I do find it odd how people automatically hate electric vehicles" and sales numbers would suggest otherwise. I was agreeing with you, not commenting on price though a plain Model 3 can be had around $40K? Like you, when/if we buy an EV, we'll still have an ICE or hybrid.

Sorry, I thought it was me as my comment was inside your quote. :blush:

Man. those hogs are worse than I thought - now they are invading the Tesla truck thread.

A Texan friend told me that a safe way to hunt javelina was to shoot them from the safety of your pickup bed.

Given that feral hogs are probably smarter than javelina, and also more dangerous considering the recent story of a lethal attack, I think a Tesla Cybertruck is also good to go hunt these hogs.

A Texan friend told me that a safe way to hunt javelina was to shoot them from the safety of your pickup bed.

Given that feral hogs are probably smarter than javelina, and also more dangerous considering the recent story of a lethal attack, I think a Tesla Cybertruck is also good to go hunt these hogs.

The hogs roam at night so the Tesla truck won't work as it doesn't have any lights. :D

Even shooting something yourself is subsidized. Various agencies and policing to keep the animals from being hunted to extinction and allow for sport hunting. Imagine if everyone were just able to kill whatever they could, either species, any time of year. People are so self centered and rather stupid and deer would be extinct in a few seasons. Same with fishing.

I hate the regulations when I am hunting/fishing, but I do realize what it would be like without them and I also understand that for most things, the government is subsidizing the sport even with the licenses and tags.

Actually, the Colorado Dept of Wildlife is 100% funded by the sale of tags plus a few other odds and ends. That, plus the Pitman Robertson tax means I pretty much pay cash on the barrel head.

Back
Top Bottom