This is it

Bigdawg

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looks like age 57 and the year 2023 is it. Made the decision last week. Told the deputy program manager and my clients yesterday. Interestingly, I found out the guy I replaced in Septemebr wants to come back so good timing all around.

To recap, became FI in 2010 when I went over 20 years in the military. Retired from active duty in 2013. DW retired from active duty in 2012 but was only 40. She enjoys her government job. I have bounced around with 4 different contracting jobs since 2013. When you don't need $, it is hard to punch the clock (for me anyway).

Vitals: Military pension & disability =$74k/yr. 1/3rd tax free. 160k taxable account. TSP & 401k = $590k. Can access in 26 months. 58K in ROTH. Only debt, 490K left on a 900k house at 2.87%. Averaging an extra $990/month on the principle so far. I officiate sports at an additional 10-15k/yr. House is only 4 years old. Cars are all paid for.

DW: 51, make 130k at her gov job. Her military pension is 45k/yr. She only has 159k in her TSP but won't need it-adding 10%/yr. Estimate her military pension, FERS pension & SS will give her over 110k/yr by herself at 70. She wants to work until at least 55.

Finally reading Zelinski's "Retire Wild happy and Free". That is the part of retirement I need help with. Finding purpose, etc... Vacation pay on 15 February will be the last day on the last timesheet. We'll be in St Croix on our annual get warm trip. Feels weird to be not employed but it seemed way weirder trying to find the motivation to actually put in the effort to keep the customer happy.

It’s a good feeling when a plan comes together. Good luck on your retirement.

Good for you, Bigdawg! Great planning and execution means a comfortable retirement. I also planned to w*rk until 55+ but am super glad I went out at 53, so perhaps your DW will change her mind after seeing how much fun you are having.

One piece of advice - don't rush into signing up for things to do, especially if there's a long-term commitment. I overdid it the first year or so and it took awhile to unwind that.

Finally reading Zelinski's "Retire Wild happy and Free". That is the part of retirement I need help with. Finding purpose, etc... Vacation pay on 15 February will be the last day on the last timesheet. We'll be in St Croix on our annual get warm trip. Feels weird to be not employed but it seemed way weirder trying to find the motivation to actually put in the effort to keep the customer happy.

It can take a while. I volunteered with several non-profits over a few years to try and find something... ended up taking up boatbuilding for a hobby.

Congratulations!
That's a good book, it got me thinking about many things, and doing some I hadn't explored in years.
Look forward to hearing about your retirement days!

Congrats BigDawg, We'll have to have a congrats drink when I get back from FLA in March, and finally meet face to face.....

Congrats BigDawg, We'll have to have a congrats drink when I get back from FLA in March, and finally meet face to face.....

Sounds like a date. I'm sure we know lots of the same people.

YUP, Some good, some bad and some ugly !!!!!!!!!!!

Just noticed F-35 started TR3 in JAN. So glad I'm out, DR DR DR !!!!

Also saw this
https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=59048&sid=8b081b255670351b579bb7a9692775c7

Did you see it flying?

I did not. I saw the article though. A good friend is the PM at CH-53's. Heading down to the VI's tonight for 2 weeks. I'm feeling great about this RE thing so far. Long walks each day so far. Making PT a priority. I hope to be cashing these retirement checks for many, many years to come.

Congrats, Bigdawg! Retired military officer and physician here.
I salute you.

Congrats BigDawg!

Hopefully we can get a DC area group dinner together one of these days.

Full disclosure: we are warming in Kauai but our love for USVI remains.

Welcome to the club, Bigdawg. Enjoy your well deserved retirement!

Congrats BigDawg!

Hopefully we can get a DC area group dinner together one of these days.

Full disclosure: we are warming in Kauai but our love for USVI remains.

Definitely time for another DC meet up.

Might be going to HI in October. The inlaws go every year. Plus DW's best friend lives on Oahu.

Last edited:
Today was the last day on the time sheet. Friday was a floating holiday, M, T and today were vacation days. This is the last day of the pay period. Here in St Croix with DW. The company owes me 13 hours of vacation pay. Last check will be 28 February. I'm on chapter 2 of "Retire Happy Wild and Free".
Down here in the Islands for 10 more days. Feeling pretty good about everything. With $ not being an issue, I have decided that if a job is in my future, it will be something like temp summer part time park ranger or something similar. Never going back to the 6 figure aviation jobs. I start umpiring baseball soon. First games are usually early March. Work pretty regular until the fall when I start volleyball officiating. I'm telling people that I'm a "Personal Wealth Manager".

Last edited:
Awesome!!! I wish a long and successful ER.

Today was the last day on the time sheet. Friday was a floating holiday, M, T and today were vacation days. This is the last day of the pay period. Here in St Croix with DW. The company owes me 13 hours of vacation pay. Last check will be 28 February. I'm on chapter 2 of "Retire Happy Wild and Free".
Down here in the Islands for 10 more days. Feeling pretty good about everything. With $ not being an issue, I have decided that if a job is in my future, it will be something like temp summer part time park ranger or something similar. Never going back to the 6 figure aviation jobs. I start umpiring baseball soon. First games are usually early March. Work pretty regular until the fall when I start volleyball officiating. I'm telling people that I'm a "Personal Wealth Manager".

Welcome to the CLUB :dance:

See you in April sometime.

Back
Top Bottom