This is it

Congratulations. Even though I was a reservist and did not get my 30% retirement until age 60, that guaranteed income, and especially Tricare, has been great.
Maybe see if your spouse would consider an oversees assignment. Then you both can explore a bit more and sell that 900K place for even lower expenses.

Maybe see if your spouse would consider an oversees assignment. Then you both can explore a bit more and sell that 900K place for even lower expenses.

Well, We are in St Croix now. No, we wouldn't do that. The house is on the Potomac/Chesapeake Bay and was built just for us. DD lives near by and we are hoping for grandchildren soonest. DW loves her job. Kind of a rare gig. She is a civilian maint officer/manager for one of the Navy/USMC test squadrons. We will travel to see friends in HI, Europe, Alaska and lower 48. Our friends here in St Croix are selling their ATV business and starting one up in Seward, AK. I have starting writing again from a little nudge by Zelinsky (Retie Happy Wild and Free).

BTW, thank you for your service.

Welcome to Retirement, enjoy your trip!
Zelinsky's book is one of my repeat go-to's.

Vitals: Military pension & disability =$74k/yr. 1/3rd tax free.

DW: Her military pension is 45k/yr.

Congrats! People like you and your DW make me upset that I only get a $6K per year pension after 32 years on the job. I couldn't imagine what a difference it would have made if I was getting an extra 113K per year pension.

Congrats! People like you and your DW make me upset that I only get a $6K per year pension after 32 years on the job. I couldn't imagine what a difference it would have made if I was getting an extra 113K per year pension.

Yeah, "pension envy" is a real thing. I have a modest one and give thanks for it. But it's not COLA'd. I guess that counts as COLA envy.:facepalm:

Yeah, "pension envy" is a real thing. I have a modest one and give thanks for it. But it's not COLA'd. I guess that counts as COLA envy.:facepalm:

My little $6K pension is even worse than it sounds. I've been fighting to get it for almost 3 months now. They have the amount wrong and will not correct it. Incompetence is rampant at Empower.

Well, you could have joined me in Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan and also married a fellow military member who would do 20+ and then get a government job with another pension. My plan all along. :LOL::LOL::LOL: Yeah right. I'm lucky and I know it.

For what it's worth, I am so proud of all of you who have had to plan your retirements with no or low pensions. My route to FIRE was more dangerous (combat) but many/most of yours were accomplished by much financial sacrifice and planning. My hat's off to you all.

TSP for DW?

DW: 51, make 130k at her gov job. Her military pension is 45k/yr. She only has 159k in her TSP but won't need it-adding 10%/yr.

For a 20+ military career followed by an 11yr(?) GS job, $159K in a TSP seems incredibly low. Did she not contribute to TSP for the majority of her career?

For a 20+ military career followed by an 11yr(?) GS job, $159K in a TSP seems incredibly low. Did she not contribute to TSP for the majority of her career?

She retired from active duty 11 years ago. For the early portion of her career there was no TSP and when it started the limits were pretty low. She was/is very independent and I don't push her on financial matters. She puts in the min to get the match from the gov. Also she was in G fund with the majority of her stash. I only have so much influence on my CWO4 retired DW. I do most of the heavy lifting with investments.

Well, you could have joined me in Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan and also married a fellow military member who would do 20+ and then get a government job with another pension. My plan all along. :LOL::LOL::LOL: Yeah right. I'm lucky and I know it.

All these years later, I still give thanks that I had a high draft number during the unpleasantness in SE Asia. I think you are more than deserving of your nice pension and a great retirement.

Two week update: Wow! So much fun but it's hard work.:LOL: Feb 15th was my last day on the timesheet. It was a vacation day with DW and I in St Croix. We got back to Dulles Saturday night at 2230. Shuttle to the hotel where the car was. Woke up, took DW to a nice breakfast (First Watch-great breakfast place) and drove home. I'm so busy. Printed, signed, scanned and sent back actual checkout sheet to the old company. Walked 14500 steps on Monday. Only 7500 yesterday. Already over 12000 today. Officiated some volleyball on Monday night. First baseball game is tomorrow. Took my HS baseball test. Have to send in the HOA state report. I'm our treasurer. Dealing with internet company. They disconnected my line yesterday across the street. Inadvertent I'm sure but still sucks. Will try to get a month or 2 of free internet if I can. About half way through "Retire happy wild and free". Afternoon nap on Monday and Tuesday. Jury is still out for today. Thought the honey due list would shrink and get accomplished much sooner now that I'm free. Not so much. I have way too much to do. Who ever had time to work a job? Next task? Moving mayo from regular jar (one left) to the newer squeeze bottle. I know right? So darn busy. Have to find some time to fit in a haircut this week. Should have done this a long time ago. Thanks for letting me in the club.

Whoa, slow down! Retirement is not a sprint sport:LOL:
Enjoy.

About half way through "Retire happy wild and free". Afternoon nap on Monday and Tuesday. Jury is still out for today. Thought the honey due list would shrink and get accomplished much sooner now that I'm free. Not so much. I have way too much to do. Who ever had time to work a job?
[...]
Should have done this a long time ago. Thanks for letting me in the club.
Congratulations again, @Bigdawg. It's been a long time coming and it looks like you're gonna make the transition just fine.

Back
Top Bottom