This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the laws of supply and demand will kick in. When the price gets too high, consumption should fall, thus resulting in the appropriate consumption for the wind turbines. Unlimited increases in consumption are not really viable long term.

This doesn't sound like a consumption problem as much as a supply problem. Texas is a fast growing state. Retiring coal plants and replacing them with wind (or solar) will lead to temporary shortages. It's apparently inevitable though I am NOT an expert and thus, YMMV.

I suppose the laws of supply and demand will kick in. When the price gets too high, consumption should fall, thus resulting in the appropriate consumption for the wind turbines. Unlimited increases in consumption are not really viable long term.

Supply and demand will match each other, but in the long run. At this moment in midday in the summer, people leave their thermostat where it is, expecting the juice will flow in at the same price that was promised by their utility companies. The latter on the other hand are sweating bullets to squeeze a few megawatts out of somewhere to avoid a brownout.

Now that utility companies know that they need more reserve capacity to make up for still-air days where wind turbines do not work, they will have to build more thermal plants to just sit there in case they are needed. Or they can build large battery installations to handle peak loads. This will make electricity more expensive, but there's no way around it.

Speaking of demand, I found it heartening that the consumption of electricity has not been going up as much as the population growth. This has been attributed to better use of energy with modern efficient appliances and LED lighting.

I have promised myself that I will buy thermal drapes for all the bedroom windows this year. I hate thermal drapes because they make the rooms so dark but I think it will make a difference in my heat usage.

I have about 5 inches of snow on the ground now and it is snowing pretty good. May be up around 10 by morning. Or not.

Yuck!!! We have a couple "dustings" in the forecast and I thought that was bad enough for this early in the season.

Beautiful clear skies, but most of the day was in the mid 50s, and the house was down to 67*. I started a small fire in our woodstove, and let it smolder along for a few hours that easily got the house up to a more comfortable 73*....the wood is free.

I have about 5 inches of snow on the ground now and it is snowing pretty good. May be up around 10 by morning. Or not.
We got the first dusting of the season at this altitude. [emoji111]

Brrrrski...but I bet it's pretty. :)

All we get around here for the most part are tornadoes, hail, rain and wind. This past weekend there were six reported tornadoes in north Texas. My abode wasn't damaged, but we did have heavy rain and wind gusts up to 70 mph. :p

Just 3 weeks ago temps were pushing mid 90's. Right now it 56 with the high today around 70 and sunny. But lot's of rain in the forecast the next 2 days which is a little unusual as its normally very dry here until late November. It's all good as we need it.

It is still snowing off and on today. The ground is warm so the snow is melting a lot and I can't tell how much we got. It had been pretty dry so the moisture is good. I just finished plowing for the morning and it is muddy. It was 16 this morning and now about 30.

Currently 85 degrees and cloudy.

Went to the community gardens lecture and picked up garlic bulbs for fall planting after the first frost. Next week may get October snow in KC for the first time in 11 years. Got my fingers crossed.

And to think I did live 30 years in New Orleans when snow was a really really big deal!

heh heh heh - :cool:

8 or 10 inches on the ground. -4 this morning. Winter came early this year. The hood latch was frozen and will not latch completely on the plow truck. Plowing will be slow today.

Not quite as bad as Hermit's case, but Halloween night is tomorrow, along with forecast torrential rainstorms in this area. Hopefully the majority of kids will just come out Friday night, otherwise we'll be stuck with several pounds of candy that our waistlines really do not need.

I thought about [-]taking it to[/-] dumping it at the gym but I suspect it may not be well received there.

Not quite as bad as Hermit's case, but Halloween night is tomorrow, along with forecast torrential rainstorms in this area. Hopefully the majority of kids will just come out Friday night, otherwise we'll be stuck with several pounds of candy that our waistlines really do not need.

I thought about [-]taking it to[/-] dumping it at the gym but I suspect it may not be well received there.

I wonder if any local charities would take it?

Right now low 50's and a driving rain...heavy fog earlier delayed most schools, and a heavy wind warning later tonight 50+ mph.

It should hit a delightful 87 today. Humidity is sill a touch high but that will change this weekend. looking at only a high of 77 on sunday and a break on the humidity. Not looking forward to the cooler weather. Too much effort digging in the closet for that one pair of jeans.

It should hit a delightful 87 today. Humidity is sill a touch high but that will change this weekend. looking at only a high of 77 on sunday and a break on the humidity. Not looking forward to the cooler weather. Too much effort digging in the closet for that one pair of jeans.

My first winter in FLA, I tried to go all winter without putting on long pants in the daytime, but gave up as it was in the 40's some days in Jan 2018. :D

It's up to 12° from 4. Supposed to get up to 40° with bright sun.

It's 52F outside and pouring rain, with a high of only 56 predicted along with a high wind advisory. Last night when F came over he said there was a dense, bone chilling fog outside. This has been our first wintry weather of the season; our highs have mostly been in the low 80's or upper 70's so far.

I guess it's time to wear sweatpants instead of shorts, for the first time this fall. :eek: I still haven't turned on the heat but might have to tonight.

Sounds like much of the country is experiencing the same weather as we are having, today. Cold, rainy, windy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom