Thomas Cook Fighting for Survival

We have used a third party broker, autoeurope, for many years to book cars in All over the world. Never an issue.

I think that the key is to know who you are booking with. The demise of Thomas Cook is no surprise to those in the travel industry, those in the finance area, or anyone who has kept current with the news. TC has been on the brink for a year now...since the last near miss financial disaster.

We would not book Norwegian today for the very same reason.

We would not book Norwegian today for the very same reason.

Same here. This should have been predictable to anyone paying attention.

It was only a few months ago that thousands of pax were stranded when WOW Air went under.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2019/03/28/wow-air-ceases-operations-cancels-all-flights-thousands-stranded/3296950002/

There were some great deals while they lasted (I saved quite a lot flying on Norwegian in the last few years) but it was always clear that they couldn't keep it up forever.

The problems with Thomas Cook should be a warning to travelers not to use 3rd part agents to book rental cars, hotels, and tours. When we were in Santorini back in late May, at the Europcar rental agency, a French couple booked their stay (car, hotel, tours) through a third party. However, the agent at Europcar stated that he did not have their reservation and that Europcar terminated their business relationship with the third party several months ago. There was nothing he could do for them. After arguing with the agent for about 45 minutes, he looked into the matter and showed the couple that the third party agency ceased operations two months after they booked. Therefore their hotel reservations were also bogus. He explained to the couple that many tour operators are setting up companies collecting advanced payments and then shutting down a few months later. It has become common. Thomas Cook is not such a company and had other issues such as debt, but it does illustrate the perils of booking through third party agencies and making advance payments in an age where it is so easy for scammers advertise online and collect advance payments.

How do you avoid booking flight and accommodation with a third party? They’re all third parties

Do you book your flight and accommodation separately by contacting the airline and hotel directly?

How do you avoid booking flight and accommodation with a third party? They’re all third parties

Do you book your flight and accommodation separately by contacting the airline and hotel directly?

That's the idea. Book direct.Cut out the middle man

Go ahead & research the consolidators. Hotels.com, Trip advisor, etc. But then book direct

We did a tour of Switzerland and one in New Mexico by booking everything ourselves.. We took the itineraries published in the brochures and made it a DIY adventure.
Worked out great.

Normally yes. I search for the best fare and book with the airline or in some cases the airline forces you to book through Expedia. Ninety percent of the time I book air travel directly with the airlines. Airlines want you to do that also. Whenever we have booked a hotel with Expedia, often at check-in they tell us to always contact the hotel directly as they will beat Expedia's rate. Expedia buys blocks of rooms wholesale from hotels and re-sells them for a profit. You should always book a car directly with the rental company and never through a third party. Always book with stable airlines especially if you are planning months in advance. Companies like Expedia are well established and pretty solid. It's tour package companies that I would be careful with.

Last edited:
The problems with Thomas Cook should be a warning to travelers not to use 3rd part agents to book rental cars, hotels, and tours. When we were in Santorini back in late May, at the Europcar rental agency, a French couple booked their stay (car, hotel, tours) through a third party. However, the agent at Europcar stated that he did not have their reservation and that Europcar terminated their business relationship with the third party several months ago. There was nothing he could do for them. After arguing with the agent for about 45 minutes, he looked into the matter and showed the couple that the third party agency ceased operations two months after they booked. Therefore their hotel reservations were also bogus. He explained to the couple that many tour operators are setting up companies collecting advanced payments and then shutting down a few months later. It has become common. Thomas Cook is not such a company and had other issues such as debt, but it does illustrate the perils of booking through third party agencies and making advance payments in an age where it is so easy for scammers advertise online and collect advance payments.

If you book with a CC in the United States wouldn't you have protection under Federal laws such as the Fair Credit Billing Act?

This law is the foundation of a consumer's right to dispute charges when products and services are not rendered as advertised.

I would be curious to know if there are similar protections under UK / EU law.

-gauss

Yes, absolutely.

I use Costco Travel for rental car, but I’m paying the rental car company directly upon arrival and I always check that they have my reservation in their system.

If you book with a CC in the United States wouldn't you have protection under Federal laws such as the Fair Credit Billing Act?

This law is the foundation of a consumer's right to dispute charges when products and services are not rendered as advertised.

I would be curious to know if there are similar protections under UK / EU law.

-gauss

I know someone who has booked a future flight with TC from San Francisco to Manchester and he paid with his CC. His CC company will refund the fare.

The exact same rules on CC payments apply in UK consumer law also. For Debit Card payments then similar rules apply but are a voluntary code that banks have, but are not enshrined in consumer law.

saw the news this morning - I'm shocked that so many people still use a travel agent - I thought those guys got betamaxed

saw the news this morning - I'm shocked that so many people still use a travel agent - I thought those guys got betamaxed

Although we (generally) do use VTG for repositioning cruises, I can't recall the last time we went through a 'Travel Agent' for anything.

We book our own flights, accommodations, trains, etc, etc.

Travel agents still perform a useful function for many people. In particular, very affluent people don't have time to study the options, make reservations and keep on top of things that might necessitate changing vacation plans. A good TA does those things very well. But, if all you need is a cheap flight to Joplin or basic room in Winslow, then you are best off doing it yourself.

I know a guy who got into the business just as online everything was coming on strong. He immediately switched to high-end expensive vacation planning for wealthy people. They love him and he makes good bucks. He's also on call 24/7. People will call and tell him, "The SunFun Islands are about to be hit by Typhoon Jessie, can we move to someplace else?" and he takes care of it. Often he will notify his clients of potential problems ahead of time and save their vacation for them by routing them someplace else. But, remember these are vacations that probably start at $10,000 per person if they travel off season.

Last edited:
I'll make all my own arrangements if I am going somewhere where I can speak the language. Otherwise, I'll let R. Crusoe & Son pamper me.

The collapse of Thomas Cook will probably leave some hotels short of customers. That might create a window of opportunity for travelers with flexible schedules.

You can get ratings on banks to see how healthy they are, but that's because there's regulations. When it comes to airlines and travel agents, how is one supposed to know? Stock price decline? Any watch dogs for these teetering businesses?

You can get ratings on banks to see how healthy they are, but that's because there's regulations. When it comes to airlines and travel agents, how is one supposed to know? Stock price decline? Any watch dogs for these teetering businesses?

Well, two things don't book too far ahead such as more then 6-12 months max. Second google the heck out of the company before you give them any money. Any article with the whiff of financial trouble makes me look for another provider.

You can buy Travel insurance but be advised the insurance companies are getting smarter about excluding providers that are going though financial problems.

Well, two things don't book too far ahead such as more then 6-12 months max. Second google the heck out of the company before you give them any money. Any article with the whiff of financial trouble makes me look for another provider.

You can buy Travel insurance but be advised the insurance companies are getting smarter about excluding providers that are going though financial problems.

I have like severe anxiety when it comes to reservations. This has bit me a cpl times. Recently my AirBNB rental went out of business...but thankfully we booked so far in advance that we were able to find another good "deal". Unfortunately that host just msg us and said he needs to put us into another one of his units as "something came up" with the one we rented. Now its too close to our arrival to find YET another "good deal". Turns out the host was able to upgrade us to a larger unit with a bit more privacy so we should be fine.

I've booked flights so early that they constantly change the times of departure during the 6months lead up to the actual flight...Then,
I recently had an airline rebook us on a different type of jet because when I booked, it was originally a fliight scheduled on the Boeing MAX...which obviously I was happy to be re booked on a safer aircraft.

All of these little changes along the way with such early reservations does add a bit of stress, but not as much as overpaying for accommodations or simply not getting ANY accommodations.

Also, we have children, so getting 4 seats next to eachother is a chore...especially with seemingly weirdo's randomly taking the middle seats in these rows... Like what? Why would the middle seat be your first choice...unless you are like creepy?

I have like severe anxiety when it comes to reservations. This has bit me a cpl times. Recently my AirBNB rental went out of business...but thankfully we booked so far in advance that we were able to find another good "deal". Unfortunately that host just msg us and said he needs to put us into another one of his units as "something came up" with the one we rented. Now its too close to our arrival to find YET another "good deal". Turns out the host was able to upgrade us to a larger unit with a bit more privacy so we should be fine.

I've booked flights so early that they constantly change the times of departure during the 6months lead up to the actual flight...Then,
I recently had an airline rebook us on a different type of jet because when I booked, it was originally a fliight scheduled on the Boeing MAX...which obviously I was happy to be re booked on a safer aircraft.

All of these little changes along the way with such early reservations does add a bit of stress, but not as much as overpaying for accommodations or simply not getting ANY accommodations.

Also, we have children, so getting 4 seats next to eachother is a chore...especially with seemingly weirdo's randomly taking the middle seats in these rows... Like what? Why would the middle seat be your first choice...unless you are like creepy?

Lots of people love Airbnb/VRBO but in our experience, it's been something between a PITA and a total scam when trying to get a 2-3 month rental for the next year. The problem seems to be unscrupulous or idiotic owners, and lack of supervision/enforcement by the parent company.

Last year in Phoenix, we gave up after "reserving" five different rentals, one after another, only to have the deadlines expire with no reply from the owner. These were recent listings. Another owner/scammer wanted us to bypass Airbnb and pay him cash directly a year in the future. Yeah, right.
Two more accepted our reservation but cancelled a few days later without any explanation or ever meeting us.

Local real estate agents have been equally unhelpful.

In theory, it's more work to find owners and deal directly with them, but for us it's been much better.

I’ve used Costco for car rentals also. Great prices and always get rental car company confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom