Using Amex points

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a lot of Amex points. My card is going away (company card and no plans to replace). So I am planning to strategically transfer them to my favorite airlines. Or maybe use in some other way that you guys suggest.

But it gives me pause since I do not know all the places I will be travelling. But here is what i have done so far:

Transferred 750K or so to British (Amex is providing a 40% bonus through Nov 15).

I have about 250K with Delta, but i find their points flights are seldom a good deal, at least domestically.

I have about 200K with Jet Blue, which is a favored carrier. We have used them for flights to Caribbean and the occasional domestic flight.

I have about 60K United points (from United credit card awards)

I would love to have more United points, but they are not a direct Amex partner. I have tried booking through Air Canada to get United flights but never found a cost effective or convenient flight.

Any of you road warriors use Amex points and how do you find them most useful? Any notes on international travel would be helpful too as more of that is in my future.

I have about 500K points left to find a home for.

I’ll be using some of my AmEx reward points for some Home Depot gift cards. They’re worth 1%, in the next year or two we’ll be needing some new applicances, so I’ll probably get $1k or so.

You can also use Amex MR points to shop on amazon now.

I had another amex card besides my company card so the points stayed active. I burned them down (about 1.2 million) on gift cards and using the points to pay for Amazon purchases. I then cancelled that card and went with Amex no annual fee card that doesn't give points.

Didn't need airline miles as I retired with about 2 million of them!

I used mine for American Airlines. We travel to the Caribbean a lot.

Back
Top Bottom