Thoughts on newer 55+ communities in FL?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I are spending most of this summer in FL to get the vibe of different areas and decide whether we’d want to live in FL full or part time. We’ve been looking at real estate to see what you get for your money these days. So far we’ve been really impressed with several 55+ communities that have been recently built or are still being built.

What attracts us are the excellent facilities/amenities, opportunities to make new friends, beautiful new construction homes, and the “lock and leave” aspect due to manned gates 24/7.

The downside is that these communities are further from the beach - 30-45 minutes. Also new construction is expensive, especially with a pool.

If anyone has insight into the 55+ community lifestyle pros and cons, or recommendations if you love the community you’re in, please comment. We are avoiding communities built more than 10 years ago as we’ve found the homes need a lot of updating and we’d prefer to avoid another massive remodel.

DH and I are spending most of this summer in FL to get the vibe of different areas and decide whether we’d want to live in FL full or part time. We’ve been looking at real estate to see what you get for your money these days. So far we’ve been really impressed with several 55+ communities that have been recently built or are still being built.

What attracts us are the excellent facilities/amenities, opportunities to make new friends, beautiful new construction homes, and the “lock and leave” aspect due to manned gates 24/7.

The downside is that these communities are further from the beach - 30-45 minutes. Also new construction is expensive, especially with a pool.

If anyone has insight into the 55+ community lifestyle pros and cons, or recommendations if you love the community, you’re in, please comment. We are avoiding communities built more than 10 years ago as we’ve found the homes need a lot of updating and we’d prefer to avoid another massive remodel.

IMHO most are too far from the beach, meaning brutally hot summers as there are minimum breezes and no Ocean Breezes. We would rather not have our pool as we really do not use it much now as we get older. Honestly in a 55+ you really do not need one.

Amenities are relative, how often will you really use them once you meet the locals and are they really worth the cost? I think I mentioned it before, membership to ours is optional as it is a private Golf Club, I think residents can join without an initiation fee. There are 3 Tiers; Premium Golf, Golf with green fees, social and Pool and Gym. All can use the bar and restaurant. We used to be social members, but the conversation and attitudes began to get tedious after 2016, so we did not renew our membership.

Last edited:
Just moved into a newer community in FL about 8 months ago, community is still building out. We enjoy it. Moved from a non-55+ community in FL as we wanted things to do and more people "our age" (62&61).

Yes, a bit distant from the beach (30-40 min) but we have a great clubhouse and pool. The amenities are what attracted us for sure. Not overloaded (no golf course), but just enough to enjoy. And get this, if we want a beach feel there is a beach type amenity built here, called The Lagoon. There are several communities already with Lagoon and a couple more coming.

https://www.metrolagoons.com/

Last edited:
Just moved into a newer community in FL, still building out. Yes, a bit distant from the beach (30-40 min) but we have a great clubhouse and pool. The amenities are what attracted us for sure. Not overloaded, just enough to enjoy. And get this, if we want a beach feel there is a beach type amenity built here, called The Lagoon. There are several communities already with Lagoon and a couple more coming.

https://www.metrolagoons.com/

Unfortunately, they cannot emulate the Cooling Ocean Breezes and for us that is huge.

My parents moved into a 55+ about 4 years ago and love it. They are mid-70s which is average for their community.

Their development was built around 2008-11, just east of the turnpike, southern palm beach county. I think theirs is one of the last builds. They have a north-facing screened patio which is nice and cool, and they back onto a small lake with no neighbors the other side. The house is large, high ceilings, and they were happy enough with most of it to avoid any major upgrades. They've done a little here and there (repainted, new countertops) but other than that, move in ready. Large community pool, clubhouse, bocce, tennis, etc.

They aren't much interested in the beach, having been here for 40 years. The novelty wears off after a while. I go maybe once or twice a year, but I have a pool.

Unfortunately, they cannot emulate the Cooling Ocean Breezes and for us that is huge.
Also it doesn't emulate the impact of hurricane surges and wind damage, and that was important for me. [emoji39] Definitely saves a bundle on homeowners insurance.

Have friends who got pummeled last year by Irma. They thought they'd never see such damage. They are now selling that place and moving further north in FL and further from the beach.

Last edited:
Also it doesn't emulate the impact of hurricane surges and wind damage, and that was important for me. [emoji39]

It does really depend on where you are and inland is not completely immune. But I generally agree with you, and would not consider the Southwest and Centralwest Coast for that reason alone.

It does really depend on where you are and inland is not completely immune. But I generally agree with you, and would not consider the Southwest and Centralwest Coast for that reason alone.

The east coast isn't much better, especially with more violent hurricanes in WPB/Miami area. And panhandle has seen it's fair share. Inland may not be immune, but does avoid the storm surge which what causes most of the damage from the hurricanes. Perhaps why 55+ communities are away from the coast lines.

Map (dated from 2016) of Cat1+ hurricane tracks over past 100 years in Florida - cost of living in paradise.

category-1-and-higher.jpg

https://www.news-press.com/story/we...tropical-storm-magnet-for-a-century/91597860/

We cannot imagine moving to Florida and not living in fairly close proximity to the ocean.

The east coast isn't much better, especially with more violent hurricanes in WPB/Miami area. And panhandle has seen it's fair share. Inland may not be immune, but does avoid the storm surge which what causes most of the damage from the hurricanes. Perhaps why 55+ communities are away from the coast lines.

Map (dated from 2016) of Cat1+ hurricane tracks over past 100 years in Florida - cost of living in paradise.

View attachment 46179

https://www.news-press.com/story/we...tropical-storm-magnet-for-a-century/91597860/

This supports my South Florida aversion, compared to the Northeast. The last hit we had that did any real damage was 1964 and then the homes were not built as well. Also living 2 miles inland vs right on the beach on the Dunes make one heck of a lot of difference. Being in an X flood zone for me is an absolute minimum for being close to the beach, Not perfect, but a decent mitigation.

I do think that no matter where one is in Florida, being on the Dunes is a recipe for disaster, just check out the homes along A1A North and South of St. Augustine. Every year, even with minor storms these get battered. Then the homeowners want the city to re-build the dunes and bulkhead, I do not agree with that. If you live there, then is should be the homeowner's responsibility to fix if they want to stay.

We are what I consider to be walking distance from the beach @ 2 miles. Since we have been here some 17 years, the most we get is a few dislodged roof tiles and the pool screen usually has some of the panels fail. Now for us THAT is the price of living here. As long as insurance costs stay reasonable, we will stay. Our Flood this year is $625, quite acceptable. I am waiting for my Home insurance in a few months.

Now, we are all a little biased about where we live and why we chose a specific location, we are no different and often tout the benefits. In our case the only places we would consider moving to are Hawaii and Southern California, the only thing stopping us is the cost of decent real-estate and the density/quantity of people. Hawaii does better on healthcare and overall Taxes that CA. So Northeast Florida is the next best, just not in a big city, but close to one.

Last edited:
IMHO most are too far from the beach, meaning brutally hot summers as there are minimum breezes and no Ocean Breezes. We would rather not have our pool as we really do not use it much now as we get older. Honestly in a 55+ you really do not need one.

Amenities are relative, how often will you really use them once you meet the locals and are they really worth the cost? I think I mentioned it before, membership to ours is optional as it is a private Golf Club, I think residents can join without an initiation fee. There are 3 Tiers; Premium Golf, Golf with green fees, social and Pool and Gym. All can use the bar and restaurant. We used to be social members, but the conversation and attitudes began to get tedious after 2016, so we did not renew our membership.
Shockwave,
I also enjoy the beach. We mostly pay a visit during one of our bike rides, because parking can be a hassle.
I have neighbors who go daily, but we only get there about once a week.
Unlike you, we use our community pool daily most late afternoons, just to relax for about an hour. I love taking a dip in a pool, and still consider it a treat.
Our community has a big beautiful pool, but there is a smaller community pool too, and we found out that very few people use it, so we go there.
Retirement life is tough, deciding if we should hang out at the beach, or our choice of pools.
Take care, JP

My mother lives in a geezer community in Florida and uses the pool regularly. I call it "geriatric soup".

Our community has a big beautiful pool, but there is a smaller community pool too, and we found out that very few people use it, so we go there.
Retirement life is tough, deciding if we should hang out at the beach, or our choice of pools.
Take care, JP

That is what I meant, there is no point having a personal pool in one's back yard as the community pool is there for the residents use. We would gladly give up our pool that is in our back yard.

After seriously considering several, we've chosen to avoid 55+ communities. Newer ones are undoubtedly more attractive, but go visit one that's been around for 20-30 years and the median age is much higher - very sad places to be IMO. The people, the homes and the amenities look tired and worn out when they're no longer new. Many seniors don't want to pay high fees, so maintenance suffers long term. I don't want to live where there are people with walkers and O2 bottles everywhere, and EMTs visiting homes almost every day. The positives are low maintenance, quieter, fewer kids (depending on the grandkids rules), lots of social opportunities and amenities. The negatives are smaller homes and lots at premium prices, restrictive HOAs often with much higher HOA fees, curfews, lack of age diversity. Mixed generation communities are preferable to us, YMMV.

Last edited:
After seriously considering several, we've chosen to avoid 55+ communities. Newer ones are undoubtedly more attractive, but go visit one that's been around for 20-30 years and the median age is much higher - very sad places to be IMO. The people, the homes and the amenities look tired and worn out when they're no longer new. Many seniors don't want to pay high fees, so maintenance suffers long term. I don't want to live where there are people with walkers and O2 bottles everywhere, and EMTs visiting homes almost every day. The positives are low maintenance, quieter, fewer kids (depending on the grandkids rules), lots of social opportunities and amenities. The negatives are smaller homes and lots at premium prices, restrictive HOAs often with much higher HOA fees, curfews, lack of age diversity. Mixed generation communities are preferable to us, YMMV.

We are in our early 70's. The absolute last place we want to live is in a community of a bunch of old farts like us.

Amenities are fine but we would get tired of the 'when I was working' or how talented, smart and what good jobs and wonderful children our kids have talk at every amenity. And we do not want a focus on politics, especially politics of a certain stripe day in day out.

We want somewhere where the people of all ages. Children, teens, young adults...the full deal with life as we know it.

We are in our early 70's. The absolute last place we want to live is in a community of a bunch of old farts like us.

Amenities are fine but we would get tired of the 'when I was working' or how talented, smart and what good jobs and wonderful children our kids have talk at every amenity. And we do not want a focus on politics, especially politics of a certain stripe day in day out.

We want somewhere where the people of all ages. Children, teens, young adults...the full deal with life as we know it.
That was our conclusion. With age, many seniors seem to enjoy talking about their medical issues, that's the last thing we want to talk about all the time. With age, many seniors are extremely locked into their views on politics, technology, and other topics, we don't want :horse: that day after day either. I often find myself removing myself from those conversations with other seniors already, I would expect it to be inescapable in a 55+ community in common areas. If you want to hear the same stories day after day, year after year...

I hope I never getting so old and bitter that I don't enjoy the sounds of children playing.

That was our conclusion. With age, many seniors seem to enjoy talking about their medical issues, that's the last thing we want to talk about all the time. With age, many seniors are extremely locked into their views on politics, technology, and other topics, we don't want :horse: that day after day either. I often find myself removing myself from those conversations with other seniors already, I would expect it to be inescapable in a 55+ community in common areas. If you want to hear the same stories day after day, year after year...

^This. When I see folks aging nicely they agree that the mind and body need to be exercised and to keep an open mind to new ideas.

Finding it interesting that the weather in San Diego is cooler, right now, then it is here in So MD. High 70's here. High 60's there. Lived in San Diego from 2000-2009 (also Irvine from 92-96) and I find the total year weather nicer here in Southern MD then I did in San Diego.

Funny to hear people talk about what a 55+ community is like but they never lived in one. Now living in one, I can say conversations are not just about medical issues or "the good old days". People have different opinions on politics and the like, just like other non-55+ communities. Actually had more "like minded" aka "closed minded" in my prior community. The people aren't so old they don't want to do anything. Cigar club, poker club, Zumba, pickleball, Strong 30 and travel clubs are just some of the things people spend time doing.

And certainly, as the community ages it may lose some of the luster that it once had, but not all and I've seen even the non-55+ communities look in disrepair.

It's not for everyone, but it's far from the retirement home that some "closed minded" people seem to have in their head.

I hope I never getting so old and bitter that I don't enjoy the sounds of children playing.

As someone who is neither old nor bitter, I don't. Because it's not just "children playing" most of the time, in my experience. Sure it starts out that way, but rarely for long.

It's screaming, arguing, squabbling, then it's crying because one of them upset the other. And then a parent comes to find out what happened, the accused starts yelling back "No I DIDN'T!" then it's OK kids play nice ... and 5 minutes later the same thing all over again.

I've spent a lot of time visiting CCRCs in the past year, and the majority of them didn't seem at all like the stereotype. Loads of people out walking, using the exercise/pool facilities, involved in hobbies like woodworking, in travel groups, etc.
Also the conversation in the dining facilities was completely normal. I was definitely on the lookout for those "organ recitals" but honestly I never heard any of that.

Yes, there were a few I visited that were more like what has been discussed here, but they were quickly eliminated from consideration.

As someone who is neither old nor bitter, I don't. Because it's not just "children playing" most of the time, in my experience. Sure it starts out that way, but rarely for long.

It's screaming, arguing, squabbling, then it's crying because one of them upset the other. And then a parent comes to find out what happened, the accused starts yelling back "No I DIDN'T!" then it's OK kids play nice ... and 5 minutes later the same thing all over again.

Yup. And in my neighborhood "playing" means shrieking at top of the lungs from early afternoon till 8pm and later in a piercingly high tone that comes through sealed windows and often gives me a headache. But yeah...because I don't like that, I'm bitter. lol :LOL:

I didn't even mention the illegal fireworks shot off on every holiday - Memorial Day - really people? The muffler-less motorcycles that roar by and several teens' tricked out cars revved at top RPM racing through several times a day and late into the night.

I never though 55+ would ever be for me. But people just love to make as much noise as they can now.

Last edited:
Funny to hear people talk about what a 55+ community is like but they never lived in one. Now living in one, I can say conversations are not just about medical issues or "the good old days". People have different opinions on politics and the like, just like other non-55+ communities. Actually had more "like minded" aka "closed minded" in my prior community. The people aren't so old they don't want to do anything. Cigar club, poker club, Zumba, pickleball, Strong 30 and travel clubs are just some of the things people spend time doing.

And certainly, as the community ages it may lose some of the luster that it once had, but not all and I've seen even the non-55+ communities look in disrepair.

It's not for everyone, but it's far from the retirement home that some "closed minded" people seem to have in their head.
Though we didn’t choose to live in a 55+ community, we did visit quite a few and seriously considered it. We did see bright shiny new 55+ communities where everyone appeared relatively young and active. We also visited a few that were built 20-30 years ago, and they were a completely different world.

You can read articles about the phenomenon online, on group/clique think (well known for many, not all, seniors) and properties not aging well, there are many.

While I’m honestly glad your experience has been good, and others are undoubtedly very happy in 55+ communities, your one experience isn’t representative of all either. More anecdotal…

Last edited:
This spring we visited a couple of 55+ communities in central Florida. Solivita for one. We thought it was very nice. However, we would prefer a community that was closer to city amenities. My guess is a lot of the 55+ places are a bit out in the sticks when built, since they would require a lot of real estate at an affordable price to begin development.
We also visited the Sun City 55+ just South of Charlotte, North Carolina. That would be our first choice, but when covid hit, the home prices there shot up out of our budget.

Back
Top Bottom