Thumb Arthritis Surgery

LuckyDog

Recycles dryer sheets
So, the doctor told me last week that I have arthritis in my thumbs. Usually, it is just pretty annoying but sometimes hurts a lot. I try and manage it with a couple of Ibuprofen a day, heat, stretches, splinting etc.

Anyway, the doc said to come and see him when I'm ready to have the Basal Joint surgery. Wondering if anybody has had the surgery and how painful was the recovery? How did you decide that it was time to have the surgery? Is there a trip point somewhere between 'this is annoying' and 'I can't take it anymore'?

My wife has arthritis everywhere--and I mean everywhere. The paraffin bath and exercises are protocol on hands and lower arms.

My wife's pains have improved greatly with Mobic, lidocaine lotion (over the counter), and Volteran Gel (pain reliever/lowers inflammation). But what put her over the top was the CBD Oil. CBD's also mellowed her out and she's not having to take Klonipan like so many pain patients that suffer from depression/anxiety.

Last edited:
My wife has arthritis everywhere--and I mean everywhere. The paraffin bath and exercises are protocol.

My wife's pains have improved greatly with Mobic, lidocaine lotion (over the counter), and Volteran Gel (pain reliever/lowers inflammation). But what put her over the top was the CBD Oil. CBD's also mellowed her out and she's not having to take Klonipan like so many pain patients that suffer from depression/anxiety.
CBD works. We are starting to appreciate it more. There's many different brands and types that add to the confusion. We have found Mary's medicinals(DW likes tinctures) to be high quality. I think they can ship CBD everywhere because of hemp being legal.

If you are in a legal state some use a 1:1, CBD :THC product. It's for pain, not mind altering.

Does CDB = Medical Marijuana?
NO! CBD is from the hemp or cannabis plant but it contains zero of the THC in "marijuana". Cannabis is a complex plant but it contains 2 major compounds that are generally agreed on(many others too) THC creates the high, CBD helps with pain and is not psychoactive. Hemp contains no THC only CBD and recently became legal at the federal level.

Here is a link to Mary's, they sell CBD products in dispensaries in legal states(med or rec). If you want to order online you can purchase the "pet products". They're made with hemp that's now federally legal, yes they are safe for people. I have no affiliation with Mary's, we've recently been using them for pain and sleep.

https://marysmedicinals.com/

There's a bunch of people selling CBD, most are probably great. This is one we've used.

ETA: A link to help define the difference between hemp, cannabis, CBD and THC.

https://medium.com/cbd-origin/hemp-vs-marijuana-the-difference-explained-a837c51aa8f7

Hemp vs Marijuana: The Difference Explained

Due to almost a century of misinformation about Cannabis, the distinction between Cannabis and its two primary species — hemp and marijuana — has become unclear to the many and some even consider the three plants to be one in the same. Because of this, the three terms are often used interchangeably, which has created difficulties when understanding the usage and benefits of Hemp vs Marijuana and Cannabis in general.
So, what exactly is the difference between Cannabis, Hemp and Marijuana?
Keep reading to learn more and discover*

Last edited:
I have arthritis everywhere too. I use Celebrex which helps a lot. I also have lidocaine prescription patches that also help when it’s bad in places. I’m supposed to exercise more than I do.

You can also get lidocaine lotions all over--very inexpensive. Don't forget to ask your physician for a prescription for Volteran. If anything hurts, it really helps. And many doctors overlook using it for their patients.

Despite some Federal regulation changes, a number of states still claim CBD is illegal. You just have to be careful in public in certain states. My wife gets hers from a grower/processer the next state over. Hers tastes bad, but it works well. Hopefully the industry and the Fed. Government will get more standardization in the industry.

Thanks for the info. I have arthritis only in left thumb & not very bad. I think it's due to playing catcher in baseball for many years & getting repeated stoved/bent back thumb injuries from mis-catching pitches.

Thank you all for the information. I ask your permission to redirect to the original question - has anybody had Basal Joint Surgery and how did it go for you?

+ CBD. DSI has fibromyalgia. A couple of drops of oil under her tongue. No mind altering affect, but helps pain better than pharmaceutical or over the counter pain med. What's nice, it's natural so big pharma doesn't need to get involved (although they'll figure out a way, I'm sure).

My husband had his big toe operated on for arthritis and it didn’t work. I use CBD ointment that has a small amount of thc in it.

Lucky Dog, my husband had this done. He said he went from sharp, jarring pain pre-surgery, to dull, constant pain post surgery. It's tolerable, but just a different pain, all the time. He doesn't seem to wince as bad when he picks something up. Not a ringing endorsement, I know - but hey, you asked!

He's come to realize not everything can be surgically corrected. We still have a ways to go before they perfect that 6 Million Dollar Man thing. ;)

Back to the CBD discussion: can you buy CBD with your HSA, does anyone, know?

Last edited:
I use tylenol 1 with codeine pills occasionally when the A gets too bad, or too many days of pain, other times its some aspirins. I don't want to develop a tolerance to the codeine as then it wont' work.

Mine is all over, so I've noticed I actually stop and think before getting up to fetch something, it's a pain avoidance response, and is subtle but reduces how much I do.

I wish mine was in my thumb. :(

worst arthritis is in my rt knee, followed by left trigger fingere and both thumbs. after my prescribed A medicine caused a blood clot in my rt leg that hospitalized me and left me with an enlarged leg for life, I stopped with the doctors. homegrown THC / CBD loaded natural pot flowers keeps the A at bay.

Back
Top Bottom