TIAA-CREF Asset Allocations

SloMo

Confused about dryer sheets
I am looking for thoughts and opinions on my AA.

TIAA-CREF has a neat calculator on their web site, an asset allocation evaluator. My 403b portfolio is currently about 9% guaranteed (TIAA Traditional) and 2% money market, 46% inflation linked bonds, 40% equities, 3% real estate.

The inflation linked bonds have really helped maintain my portfolio value during the current market downturn, but in these troubled times I have been thinking about changing the AA to 23% guaranteed, 13% money market, 24% fixed income (inflation linked bonds), 37% equities and 3% real estate.

I am a little nervous about what the future has in store for the inflation linked bonds. What could happen to my portfolio if equities and bonds both turned south?

As a little background I am 60, retired, drawing a pension and hope to be able to hold off collecting social security till I am 70 by drawing about 2% to 2.7% annually from the 403b from age 62 to 70. DW, same age, will retire in two years and plans to collect SS at 70 also.

One thing I realized today was that holding off on the SS till 70, followed by the RMD from the 403b will boost our income significantly when we hit 71. Maybe we would be better off to collect the SS at 62 and leave the 403b alone till we have to take the RMD.

I have been lurking in the early retirement forums for sometime now and value the judgment and knowledge available here. Thoughts on asset allocations and social security age are greatly appreciated.

SloMo

Back
Top Bottom