To-do list before last day

I scanned and emailed myself many years worth of continuing education certificates.
With the right software, you can create as many as you want at home.

Steal enough office supplies to last you the rest of your life, especially pencils and paper.

In my case that would have been the office supplies I bought for myself, so of course I'd grab those! Getting Megacorp to buy supplies was harder than getting travel approved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I did grab a few of my business cards and threw the rest away. They wouldn't be needing them and neither have I for that matter. I took my name plate for the same reason, but I think I eventually threw it away.

I personally would not retire unless I had accomplished or had a plan to accomplish everything on the list below within a year of retiring. It's the most comprehensive pre-retirement "checklist" I've found (albeit a bit messy one) and handling the applicable issues it contains provides tremendous peace of mind.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=183420&start=50

Last edited:
Thankfully, I didn't have to make any "repairs," but I am glad I didn't indulge in any "I can retire and you can't, so here's what I really think about you" moments. Toward the end, I got quite annoyed at a couple of people and was tempted to let them know why.

In the end, it wouldn't have made a difference, since the kind of person who most annoys me is the type who always thinks s/he is right. :LOL::facepalm:

Anyway, I was asked to return to work part-time as a consultant, which turned out to be a good gig. Yes, I had skills, but all those years of not telling people off probably played a part as well. :angel:

Complete any unfinished tasks, return any favors, repair any broken relationships, etc., so that you leave as a class act and highly thought of. Avoid looking like "it's all about you." You never know what life will deal you and it's always possible you'll need a recommendation or just a simple favor from a professional relationship after you leave.

I did grab a few of my business cards and threw the rest away...........
I saved my business cards and still use them for discounts on airline parking through my former employer. :angel:

Better discount than any other, like AAA etc.

I've already started to clean my desk up. I do not want anyone taking over my cube to think I was too much of a slob.

Grab your name plate if you want to be sentimental.

I traveled a lot for work and before I left changed all the hotel and airline frequent flier contact info to personal email and phone. Had some unused airline ticket credits and made sure they went to me.
Bought a good bottle of scotch and a cigar!

Get a new loan (car loan for e.g.) while you have a paycheck and an employer.

Back
Top Bottom