Total Knee Replacement Advice Needed

For a while after my TKR, bending my knee and lifting that leg onto the bed was simply out of the question. Therefore I was scared to try to get onto and off of my bed. I had done it once with my PT and Frank both standing there to lift my leg onto the bed for me and/or catch me if I fell, but it was scary even then.

So, for maybe a couple of weeks (?) or so I slept in my lift recliner and that worked out just fine for me.

Normally when I sleep in my bed, I like to toss and turn a lot so sleeping in bed would have been painful anyway. The recliner pretty much kept me from doing that so it was safer for me in those early days after the surgery.

Sounds like your DH is thinking about these things and has it pretty well figured out for his sleeping habits! Good thing he normally sleeps on his back.

I've had both knees replaced and two totally different drug experiences. I was prescribed oxycodone and Celebrix for the first knee. I had a bad reaction to the oxycodone and it was replaced with dilaudin which worked but I experienced bad constipation which seemed as bad as the knee pain.

After my second knee was replaced I was prescribed dilaudin and tramadol which was fine. I used dilaudin one day then switched to tramadol. After three days or so I changed to either asprin or tylenol, don't remember.

My takeaways from the experience were three fold:
1. Get in front of the pain. Don't wait until the pain is bad to take the drugs.
2. Avoid constipation if you can.
3. Don't take anything harder than asprin or tylenol before physical therapy.

Good luck!!!

Weird issue--DH's TKR is scheduled for 4/13. So yesterday DH gets a jury duty notice for 4/27 (2 weeks after the surgery). The courts are just reopening here and I understand many people have been called for jury duty over the next month or so. Of course DH wants to postpone his jury duty. He will not have the staples out by then and would not be able to drive and will still be on strong pain medication. DH sent this information to the jury clerk and they say he must have a letter from his doctor, which he is trying to get. Weird timing that he would be called for jury duty now.

Weird issue--DH's TKR is scheduled for 4/13. So yesterday DH gets a jury duty notice for 4/27 (2 weeks after the surgery). The courts are just reopening here and I understand many people have been called for jury duty over the next month or so. Of course DH wants to postpone his jury duty. He will not have the staples out by then and would not be able to drive and will still be on strong pain medication. DH sent this information to the jury clerk and they say he must have a letter from his doctor, which he is trying to get. Weird timing that he would be called for jury duty now.

That is crazy bad timing. Technically a TKR is an elective procedure so I wouldn't be surprised if they said he had to postpone it. Realistically, anyone who has needed a major joint replacement knows it's not an elective procedure. I would continue with the TKR and deal with the possible consequences later. I think it's very likely they will be ok with him getting out of it this time. They bring in way more people than they need so shouldn't be a big deal.

That is crazy bad timing. Technically a TKR is an elective procedure so I wouldn't be surprised if they said he had to postpone it. Realistically, anyone who has needed a major joint replacement knows it's not an elective procedure. I would continue with the TKR and deal with the possible consequences later. I think it's very likely they will be ok with him getting out of it this time. They bring in way more people than they need so shouldn't be a big deal.

DH is in misery (having difficulty walking) and had to postpone his surgery earlier due to Covid so it is not really elective for him. He will not postpone the surgery for jury duty. If necessary he will hire a lawyer to get him out of it. He is willing to serve but just not right now. By the way DH is age 70 --if you are 72 or older you can get released from jury duty due to age.

It seems a reasonable request for the clerk to be provided proof of the operation from the surgeon. Likely, once provided, it will be easy to reschedule the jury duty.

Update--my DH had his knee replacement surgery this past Tuesday and over all did very well. He did not stay in the hospital --came home same day-- which was concerning to me but worked out OK. His doctor said that now about half of TKR patients go home same day, the only ones that spend the night in the hospital are those with some sort of problem. DH does not seem to have too much pain, only taking pain medicine at night and tylenol during the day. He is walking a small amount around the house with arm crutches. He is able to sleep pretty good, eating and going to the bathroom good.

The only problem he has had is that he developed some clear blisters on his calf of the operated leg. He sent a picture to the surgeon who had DH come into the office (getting in the car and into the office was an adventure). The surgeon said blisters are fairly common although the surgeon said he had not seen blisters on any patients in a couple of years. They are called "fracture blisters" and are caused by swelling and in DH's case, the friction of the support hose. The only problem would be if they get infected. They put antibiotics creme on the blisters and wrapped them with compression bandages that he wears for 5 days, no more support hose. The only problem with the compression bandages is that DH cannot bend his knee and ice does not work very well through the bandage.

He was suppose to start some home PT today but that is delayed until next Wed due to the blisters which is fine with me.

Being the caretaker and doing everything around the house by myself (at age 70) is wearing me out and my back and my right knee is starting to hurt. I am coming to appreciate all the things DH did around the house. Fortunately friends have been bring in delicious meals.

Last edited:
Update--my DH had his knee replacement surgery this past Tuesday and over all did very well. He did not stay in the hospital --came home same day-- which was concerning to me but worked out OK. His doctor said that now about half of TKR patients go home same day, the only ones that spend the night in the hospital are those with some sort of problem. DH does not seem to have too much pain, only taking pain medicine at night and tylenol during the day. He is walking a small amount around the house with arm crutches. He is able to sleep pretty good, eating and going to the bathroom good.

The only problem he has had is that he developed some clear blisters on his calf of the operated leg. He sent a picture to the surgeon who had DH come into the office (getting in the car and into the office was an adventure). The surgeon said blisters are fairly common although the surgeon said he had not seen blisters on any patients in a couple of years. They are called "fracture blisters" and are caused by swelling and in DH's case, the friction of the support hose. The only problem would be if they get infected. They put antibiotics creme on the blisters and wrapped them with compression bandages that he wears for 5 days, no more support hose. The only problem with the compression bandages is that DH cannot bend his knee and ice does not work very well through the bandage.

He was suppose to start some home PT today but that is delayed until next Wed due to the blisters which is fine with me.

Being the caretaker and doing everything around the house by myself (at age 70) is wearing me out and my back and my right knee is starting to hurt. I am coming to appreciate all the things DH did around the house. Fortunately friends have been bring in delicious meals.

Hope things are back to normal soon. Being a nurse is hard work..

That's odd about the jury duty, here you can get an automatic 6 month postponement by just asking for it.

Glad to hear that your DH is doing so well, harllee!!! :clap: And that he doesn't have to wear those dreadful compression hose. I think they were more painful than the surgery, for me.

Hope things are back to normal soon. Being a nurse is hard work..

That's odd about the jury duty, here you can get an automatic 6 month postponement by just asking for it.

DH finally got released from jury duty but he had to get a letter from the surgeon. What a hassle right before surgery

Glad to hear that your DH is doing so well, harllee!!! :clap: And that he doesn't have to wear those dreadful compression hose. I think they were more painful than the surgery, for me.

W2R, I know for sure that it is hard to get those compression stockings on. I had to help get them on DH and it hurt my back and my back is still hurting.

Great news harllee! Glad he is doing well. Get some rest yourself!

I was one of those few who spent overnight in the hospital. Not because of issues, but due to surgery being delayed until late in the day and PT was closed for the day when I came out of surgery...so they kept me overnight.

Add me to the list of compression stocking haters. My wife disliked putting them on me as much as I disliked wearing them.

I want to thank whoever on this Forum suggested the "Lounge Doctor" leg rest. We bought one for DH and it seems to be helping with the swelling.

I purchased a big bag of prunes (dehydrated plums) and ate 2-3 with every meal. It worked.

I'm on oxycodone for my RTKR, and have been taking docusate sodium soft gel tablets to keep me regular. Early on in the process, I was a little late for my daily visit, and became concerned that the stool softener wasn't doing it's job. I had a 2 quart container of prune juice sitting in the fridge, so decided to have a mug, to help things along.

That was a BIG mistake. However, for entertainment value, it's high up there on the value for money scale!

I should have trusted the stool softener alone to do it's job :LOL:

... I had a 2 quart container of prune juice sitting in the fridge, so decided to have a mug, to help things along.

That was a BIG mistake. However, for entertainment value, it's high up there on the value for money scale!

Next time start with just a shot glass!

Update on DH's total knee replacement. It has been 2 months and overall DH and his new knee did great. He had his 7 week follow up with the surgeon last week and the surgeon was very pleased and said DH did not have to come back for a year. He does not have to go to PT anymore, just working on PT at home. He has little pain (sometimes just an ache if he does too much), has total range of movement, walks well with no limp, can easily walk a mile, no longer using a cane and is working on steps. He can go up steps normally and is working on going down them normally. He does not plan to have his other knee done at this time--it was not as bad and the surgeon thinks that having the worse knee done will help the other knee enough that surgery will not be needed.

On the other hand the caretaker (me) hurt her back while helping DH and is still having problems and going through PT. Now DH is having to take care of me.

I'm on oxycodone for my RTKR, and have been taking docusate sodium soft gel tablets to keep me regular. Early on in the process, I was a little late for my daily visit, and became concerned that the stool softener wasn't doing it's job. I had a 2 quart container of prune juice sitting in the fridge, so decided to have a mug, to help things along.

Major Tom, how long ago did you have your knee done and how are you doing?

Major Tom, how long ago did you have your knee done and how are you doing?

Surgery was on 5/24, and I'm doing quite well, despite a rough week or so immediately after surgery. I've been planning to write a more descriptive update in this thread soon, and hope to get around to it later today.

Last edited:
Surgery was on 5/24, and I'm doing quite well, despite a rough week or so immediately after surgery. I've been planning to write a more descriptive update in this thread soon, and hope to get around to it later today.

Hope you do as well as my DH. His was 4/13.

Update on DH's total knee replacement. It has been 2 months and overall DH and his new knee did great. He had his 7 week follow up with the surgeon last week and the surgeon was very pleased and said DH did not have to come back for a year. He does not have to go to PT anymore, just working on PT at home. He has little pain (sometimes just an ache if he does too much), has total range of movement, walks well with no limp, can easily walk a mile, no longer using a cane and is working on steps. He can go up steps normally and is working on going down them normally. He does not plan to have his other knee done at this time--it was not as bad and the surgeon thinks that having the worse knee done will help the other knee enough that surgery will not be needed.

On the other hand the caretaker (me) hurt her back while helping DH and is still having problems and going through PT. Now DH is having to take care of me.
So glad to read that things are going so well for your DH during his recovery! That's terrific that he won't need to have the other knee done. I was sure I was going to get my left knee done ASAP after the right knee, but much to my surprise I decided more surgery is not needed. I am very pleased about that.

Hope the PT helps your back! Back pain is awful, my sympathies.

Major Tom, so sorry you had such a rough time. DH's experience is very much different from yours. His TKR was day surgery, he came home the same day, of course he had me to help and very few steps. His surgeon is of the Bone Smart philosophy. He thinks the main thing to do is get rid of swelling by ice and elevation and that Range of Motion will come naturally. They gave DH an ice machine in the hospital and it really helped (it worked me to death keeping the ice bottles changed every 5 hours but that is another story). An ice machine might still help you. DH bought the Lounge Doctor elevation pillow advertised on Bone Smart and it really helps with swelling. DH's surgeon believes in very little PT--don't do any thing that hurts or causes swelling. DH's main PT was walking short distances and doing some stair climbing. DH had little pain and had to take very few pain pills--I think the ice machine kept the pain away. Post surgery depression is a real thing--there is a good article on Bone smart about it. Please keep posting on how you are doing, you have friends here in this Forum and we are all glad to listen.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to start your own thread so we can all keep up with you?

Back
Top Bottom