Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

Wife and I are starting our first big RV road trip, 3 months on Saturday (3/2). Heading to a wealthy relative's ranch north of San Antonito for the eclipse. Excited.

It is a rare enough that I don't mind waiting out 4 or 5 hours of traffic, especially if I can just putter around on the sailboat while everyone goes back to their regularly scheduled Tuesday lives.

Dang, I havent been following the news I guess and didnt even know about it until I just seen this thread. Last time in 2017 here in MO I was in the total eclipse right in my back yard. This time I only need to drive about 30 miles south if I want to see the total eclipse again. No real traffic around here.

Yes, it is awesome especially when the night insects come out. But unless you live in the path, finding any hotel or campground with a place available the night before will be tough. If you do find one, I suggest staying the night afterward to avoid the tremendous traffic jams as everyone else tries to leave simultaneously.

It looks like I’m less than 1 mile from the blue center line, but well within the orange lines. Close enough? Or should I walk to be dead center?

One mile will not make any noticeable difference. I wish you clear skies.

One mile will not make any noticeable difference.

^ This.

The only difference between your location and the center line of the eclipse is in the length of totality you will experience. It will last about one second longer at the center line than a mile away.

Fortunate for the fourth time in my life
to live in the area of totality. Unfortunatly Southern Ontario is cloudy in April so I am not having great expectations. I will watch it get dark and be content.

I'm guessing it wouldn't matter whether the guy in the video had owned a dozen RVs or if that was his first. People prone to making such foolish driving choices don't usually improve with experience.

Trying to decide if I want to make over and back 7+ hour drive to Wallops rocket launch center by OC, Md. they are going to send three sounding rockets, beginning middle and end of eclipse… or drive down to Pt Lookout which is pretty same latitude just on western shores of Chesapeake….. think I’ll stay western shore. We’ll get about 84% blank out.

Trying to decide if I want to make over and back 7+ hour drive to Wallops rocket launch center by OC, Md. they are going to send three sounding rockets, beginning middle and end of eclipse… or drive down to Pt Lookout which is pretty same latitude just on western shores of Chesapeake….. think I’ll stay western shore. We’ll get about 84% blank out.

84% blackout is a non-event. You would hardly notice it. Even the moments just before totality are not particularly striking. 100% is a different animal.

I was curious as to when the next total eclipse after this will be visible from anywhere in the lower 48 states of the USA. The answer? August 23, 2044, and you'll have to be in Montana or North Dakota. The next one visible across a wide swath of the country is on August 12, 2045.

https://earthsky.org/space/total-solar-eclipses-in-the-usa/

That would be a bummer...if SpaceX scheduled the third starship launch for April 8 at noon or something...

We are in Akron, Ohio and will be watching from our driveway and the golf course across the street.

I ordered glasses from NASA in Cleveland --

https://www.nasashop.com/nasashop/shop/product-detail/1000785

I'm north of Akron. We have family coming in from New Jersey and Denver for the event. I expect we will be out in the backyard. My son works in downtown Cleveland, very close to the middle line for totality. If his job would allow it the rooftop would be a spectacular viewing spot.

Our schools are closed for the day.

Imagine being out on Lake Erie!

Last edited:
2024 Eclipse

Thanks to this board, I booked a hotel in San Antonio before prices went up. We're flying there from Raleigh, NC, the day before and leaving the day after. I bought discount gift certificates at Costco for Southwest Airlines. I saved up points for the hotel. I hear the canal walk is nice and we will visit the historic mission buildings. Both of us have never been to San Antonio before so I think it will be interesting, especially the full eclipse experience. I'm going with my adult daughter. My husband can't travel due to back issues.

The river walk there is awesome. There is even a outdoor play house on the river, with seating on the other side.

The river walk there is awesome. There is even a outdoor play house on the river, with seating on the other side.

Arneson River Theater

This beautiful and historic theatre, located in the La Villita Historic Arts Villiage, is the perfect outdoor venue to watch a dance or musical performance.

We really enjoy the "Tuba Christmas" performance there every December:

Attachments

• 20161217_125022.jpg
    20161217_125022.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 10
We were at the 2017 eclipse in Oregon. Getting out from the eclipse area after the eclipse took hours and hours. The freeway was a parking lot. Hotels the night before were outrageous. The night after the eclipse (same day), the hotels were back to normal rates because everyone left.

We were at the Oregon coast in 2017. Luckily, I had reservations the night before and night of. Watching the news that night to see the parking lots on the freeway--it was a zoo out there!
It was a fantastic experience, even with the cloudy beach skies.

Thanks to this board, I booked a hotel in San Antonio before prices went up. We're flying there from Raleigh, NC, the day before and leaving the day after. I bought discount gift certificates at Costco for Southwest Airlines. I saved up points for the hotel. I hear the canal walk is nice and we will visit the historic mission buildings. Both of us have never been to San Antonio before so I think it will be interesting, especially the full eclipse experience. I'm going with my adult daughter. My husband can't travel due to back issues.

You probably know but just in case..you won’t see totality in San Antonio downtown area. But if you go towards Kerville, you will get in the path of totality…nearly 4.5 minutes at Kerville.

We have a B&B in Cleveland. We will visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and pray for no clouds. We are prepared to take a ride north or south a bit if that will help, but weather systems tend to be large and fickle.[/Q]

Does anyone know of good online sites to get detailed cloud reports as the day approaches?
Are you flying or taking a boat north from CLE? Ya can't drive.

Last edited:
Totality

You probably know but just in case..you won’t see totality in San Antonio downtown area. But if you go towards Kerville, you will get in the path of totality…nearly 4.5 minutes at Kerville.

No, I didn't know that so I did an internet search. San Antonio will be 99.99% totality. Our hotel is in downtown SanAntonio so we will probably stay there. I imagine traffic will be unbearable to get to Kerville, but if I find out it isn't, I will do exactly that. Thanks for letting me know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom