Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

Expecting my eyes to be protected by water vapor today just north of Austin (Cedar Park area). Still will be interesting and I'm on my third week of my roadtrip and enjoying myself regardless if I can see the sun or just experience the odd darkness in the middle of the day.

Personally, I think they should reschedule this event for the next clear day. :cool:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Im not going anywhere, we’re supposed to get an 80% eclipse this afternoon. I’ll be playing golf, it’ll be interesting to see how dark (or not) it gets at 80%. Total duration of 2 hours 32 minutes start to finish.

Was watching some eclipse info on TV yesterday and they said total eclipses happen every 18 months on average. It’s just that most of them happen over the oceans, where very few of us can see them. They’re only rare over land specific regions. And I just read there are 2-3 eclipses per year, not all are total?

Attachments

• IMG_2959.jpeg
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It sounds like a great adventure. My wife was trying to get me to drive to Indiana at the last minute, but I just wasn't feeling the long drive. Good luck to all. I'm going to watch Mazatlan's live video feed.

I can drive 11 mile to possibly get nearly 4 minutes of totality. Here in Columbus I am expecting 3 minutes and 44 seconds. Sky looks clear here for now with some high haze.

We have arrived in Plattsburgh NY. As of right now, it is bright and sunny without a cloud in sight. Hopefully the weather will hold for this afternoon. The diner we're at is very crowded for breakfast. I expect things to get worse as the late risers start arriving in town.

Was watching some eclipse info on TV yesterday and they said total eclipses happen every 18 months on average. It’s just that most of them happen over the oceans, where very few of us can see them. They’re only rare over land specific regions. And I just read there are 2-3 eclipses per year, not all are total?

Yes, a total eclipse at a specific location is very rare, but partial eclipses are far more common. We experienced an annular ('ring of fire') eclipse in October and now this total eclipse six months later (see map - X marks the spot :) ).

According to the local news the last total eclipse in our location was in 1397. I wonder if it was also an overcast day?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-08 080236.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 080236.png
    619.3 KB · Views: 13
Assuming you have extra eclipse glasses, you can hold one over the lens of your smartphone to get a good photo of it. You might want to try that today for practice.

It’s too awkward to hold it and try pressing the shutter. I suppose I can use the delay shutter. But I sacrificed one pair and taped one lens/film over all the phone lenses. It is almost too small to cover the 3-lens area on my Iphone. Can’t tell which lens to put the film over as there does not seem to be one lens for each zoom.

Looks like weather forecast for here is calling for sunny skies through the afternoon. But only around 90% eclipse. It's not worth a long drive to make it to totality.

It’s too awkward to hold it and try pressing the shutter. I suppose I can use the delay shutter. But I sacrificed one pair and taped one lens/film over all the phone lenses. It is almost too small to cover the 3-lens area on my Iphone. Can’t tell which lens to put the film over as there does not seem to be one lens for each zoom.

During totality, you wouldn't need (and wouldn't want) any filter.

Although there is an argument for experiencing it rather than photographing it. I experienced the 2017 totality and can close my eyes and still almost picture it in my mind.

(ETA: Zip code 76513, mostly overcast except for a slight break right around the sun. Still 4 hours 4 minutes, 14, 13, 12 seconds to go.)

We have arrived in Plattsburgh NY. As of right now, it is bright and sunny without a cloud in sight. Hopefully the weather will hold for this afternoon. The diner we're at is very crowded for breakfast. I expect things to get worse as the late risers start arriving in town.
You're in the best place in New York, but that ain't saying much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408-102315-101.png
    Screenshot_20240408-102315-101.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Conditions right now. Yes, that is Lake Champlaign.

Attachments

• 17125878092565287565685322744702.jpg
    17125878092565287565685322744702.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 3
We left for Indy at 5:30 a.m. very little traffic. Clear skies!

Cloudy in Niagara Falls, Ontario. It might clear up a bit before the big 3.5 minutes. But I was in complete sunshine on August 17, 2017. Not too crowded yet. I guess the forecast of clouds might keep the crowd down. Happy to be retired so i could be here. It will be a 90% partial eclipse at home but cloudy there too.

We are in Cape Girardeau, MO. Sunny skies, a few wsipy clouds that I think will go away. I took a pic through the shade 14 welding goggles at iso400 of the sun this morning here.

Attachments

• shade14.jpg
    shade14.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 120
  • sky.jpg
    sky.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2
In Burnet, TX, they are reporting there are 30,000 out-of-area visitors for the eclipse. Many have set up tents, some with the intention of staying overnight. The city of Burnet has issued the warning this morning that as soon as the eclipse has taken place, they are to immediately leave the area. Weather forecasts are predicting high winds, with tornadoes and large hail being possible later today.

This could turn into a real nightmare for the observers there, even if they are back in their vehicles. Between the possible bad weather and traffic congestion leaving the area, I would be seriously considering whether to stick around.

Edit: I understand they were having a festival in Burnet, with the paid entertainment and food catering being cancelled by Burnet.

Last edited:
My Skyview app on my phone shows 7 planets lined up close to the sun and the moon and the other one, Pluto, not very far away. The missing planet of course is Earth...

We are just north of Akron, OH. It was overcast and rainy this morning but it's clearing up and looking sunny. We will probably have some wispy clouds for the eclipse

DHs sister from Denver and his sister and brother from New Jersey are here since Friday. We are having a great time with them and there's just too much food!

Unfortunately, our 37 year old son tore his meniscus a week ago and couldn't help with airport runs or anything else. His surgery is Tuesday morning, so he will be on crutches for the eclipse.

Fun Times!

In Burnet, TX, they are reporting there are 30,000 out-of-area visitors for the eclipse. Many have set up tents, some with the intention of staying overnight. The city of Burnet has issued the warning this morning that as soon as the eclipse has taken place, they are to immediately leave the area. Weather forecasts are predicting high winds, with tornadoes and large hail being possible later today.

This could turn into a real nightmare for the observers there, even if they are back in their vehicles. Between the possible bad weather and traffic congestion leaving the area, I would be seriously considering whether to stick around.

Edit: I understand they were having a festival in Burnet, with the paid entertainment and food catering being cancelled by Burnet.

Sounds like a potential disaster.

FWIW, the correct pronunciation of the town of Burnet is "burn it".

Looks like weather forecast for here is calling for sunny skies through the afternoon. But only around 90% eclipse. It's not worth a long drive to make it to totality.
You couldn't be more wrong. As one eclipse watcher told me the day before the 2017 total eclipse (we saw totality in central Oregon), "The difference between a total eclipse and a near-total eclipse, is like the difference between death and a near-death experience."

You couldn't be more wrong. As one eclipse watcher told me the day before the 2017 total eclipse (we saw totality in central Oregon), "The difference between a total eclipse and a near-total eclipse, is like the difference between death and a near-death experience."
I wasn't disputing the difference between them. I was saying it's not worth it for me personally. I'm dealing with more important stuff, and 10 or more hours of car driving (round trip) is not something I can deal with now. Not everyone's situation is the same when you look outside the box. I couldn't be more right... for me.

If things were more like 2017 for me and had the day off, it might have been worth the trip to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom