Traffic in Atlanta

Revlefty

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm driving to FL next week and usually go through downtown Atlanta. How messed up is the traffic because of the closing of I-85:confused:?

AFAIK, Atlanta doesn't actually have "traffic."

What they have is called gridlock.
:(

I'm driving to FL next week and usually go through downtown Atlanta. How messed up is the traffic because of the closing of I-85:confused:?

From where are you driving? If driving 75 from the north run around the city to the west on 285 (the bridge is just northeast of downtown. If coming from the north (of Richmond) , you could stay on 95 to Jacksonville Fl and its only about 50 miles over to LakeCity and I75 in north Florida (i-10) Or further south cut over from at Charlotte Nc take i-77 , to Columbia SC and then I-20 into Atlanta (south of downtown)
Again run around the south side of Atlanta on 285 to 75.

From where are you driving? If driving 75 from the north run around the city to the west on 285 (the bridge is just northeast of downtown. If coming from the north (of Richmond) , you could stay on 95 to Jacksonville Fl and its only about 50 miles over to LakeCity and I75 in north Florida (i-10) Or further south cut over from at Charlotte Nc take i-77 , to Columbia SC and then I-20 into Atlanta (south of downtown)
If Florida means Orlando taking 95 to I-4 and over would also work.

This past week was spring break for most schools. As such, traffic was lighter than usual. The "experts" at the transportation department are predicting 30% increases in commute times for all avenues of commuting starting Monday morning.

As such, if you're coming during rush hour I'd plan for delays. If you're going through here before 6 am (out of the area by then), between 10-2, or after ~7 pm, then you shouldn't have any significant delays imo. Otherwise rush hour traffic will cause you quite a delay I'd imagine.

That I-85 debacle is inside of the I-285 loop, so you should be ok using 285. Of course, 285 is jammed too during rush hour. As others have said, consider staying East of Atl altogether (on I-95), if possible

One other option is to stay about 2-3 hours north of Atlanta so you pass thru after the morning rush hour and before the afternoon rush hour. But since you are really just passing thru the real message is don't get inside the loop at all.

From where are you driving? If driving 75 from the north run around the city to the west on 285 (the bridge is just northeast of downtown.
I was in the Atlanta area this week and made this round trip on 285 uneventfully.

I'm coming down I-75. What about when I'm northbound a week later. Will the 285 bypass work then?

I'm coming down I-75. What about when I'm northbound a week later. Will the 285 bypass work then?

Looking at a map it should work, The I85 traffic would tend towards the 285 east side because that is far shorter down to I 20 or they would run 285 over to 75 and then into town. (so i 75 inside 285 might be bad depending on the time of day)
Note that if you want to minimize exposure you could take 59 at Chatanouga down to 20 at Birmingham and back to Atlanta That takes you around only the southern quarter of 285. Note that the new ball park is at 285 and 75 north also.

From where are you driving? If driving 75 from the north run around the city to the west on 285 (the bridge is just northeast of downtown.
Used this route last weekend, driving north on 75. No problems at 1 AM, which is when we usually try to hit Atlanta....In the past we go through downtown, but did not this trip, due to the bridge crash.

atlanta traffic

Came through on Friday ,downtown at 2-3 pm no problem. There is no damage on I-75.all on I-85.I had more slowdowns north of Atlanta.

A big thank you to everyone for their help. I took the bypass both ways and it went smoothly...probably the fastest I have EVER driven through Atlanta.

A big thank you to everyone for their help. I took the bypass both ways and it went smoothly...probably the fastest I have EVER driven through Atlanta.

Yes, but as you realize, you didn't drive through it, just around it. Nasty traffic city.

Back
Top Bottom