Transformer for laptop

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm headed off to Europe (Germany & France) soon.

I'm wondering what sort of transformer I need for recharging my laptop, camera, etc.?

omni

A good one! Don't get fooled into thinking the converter for your electric razor will work. I watched a guy fry an expensive portable printer with a cheap razor converter.

In the past some laptops had a converter built in. Don't know if that's still true.

Thanks, MRG.

Your post triggered me to take a closer look at the charging 'brick' on my new laptop. It says "input 100-240V". I'm assuming that means it will work in Europe and I'll just need to use a "U.S. to round plug" adapter.

omni

Thanks, MRG.

Your post triggered me to take a closer look at the charging 'brick' on my new laptop. It says "input 100-240V". I'm assuming that means it will work in Europe and I'll just need to use a "U.S. to round plug" adapter.

omni

Yes, almost all of these power supplies are now designed to work on a variety of common line voltage/frequencies. It will be on the label, as you found.

If they say 100-240V, and 50/60 Hz then the plug adapter is all you need.

FWIW, although this convention isn't always followed, 'adapter' typically means a passive plug - just metal and plastic that conforms one mechanical plug/socket form to another. And 'converter' will typically mean it actually does some electrical conversion of 110V 60 Hz to 240V 50 Hz or whatever.

-ERD50

That's very likely true. Most laptops, phones, cameras, etc. today have wall warts that easily handle both US and European electricity. If it says both (as yours does), then all you need is the plug adapter.

Don't forget to check before you go that your plug adapter works with your plugs. Sometimes you have to consider two vs. three prong plugs.

braumeister,

Thanks for the "heads up" on 3- & 2-prongs.

I just checked and my electrics & electronics are 2-prongs, so that is one less thing to deal with.:dance:

omni

I travel to Asia and use a universal power adapter I bought from eBay for about 4-7 bucks. They do not convert the voltage, only provide a way to plug your 110/220 device into their power. My cell phone and laptop both work fine using them. I have used it in Hong Kong which is supposed to be the same as the UK. Haven't had the opportunity to use it in the EU.

Attachments

• universal power.JPG
    universal power.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 9
Thanks, MRG.

omni

Yep, you just need the plug adapter!

41LuG0kVCKL._SY300_.jpg

Easy to order from Amazon. We have some by Watson.

Last edited:
I'm glad I posted this query, as I have now figured out that I won't need to lug a heavy transformer with me. :dance:

Thanks, everyone!

omni

Yes just an adapter. I've gone so far as to go to the hardware store and replugging gear that I am leaving there and have a couple of replugged lines that plug into my bricks (although more for camera gear as they come in this configuration. Almost all electronics are universal now, just check it before plugging. Years ago I managed to blow a power supply on a desktop, it was dual voltage but a switch need to be flipped.

Back
Top Bottom