Travel during Covid OmicronB

Status
Not open for further replies.
We looked it up, and Wow they certainly were overwhelmed with 100->200 cases on the ship.
Other people report the same as you about not getting food, and the phone system not working.

How did they stop your Wife from going out to the buffet to get food ?

Realistically they likely couldn’t have stopped either of us. We were being cooperative.

Laurie was also considered to be in quarantine because of her direct and prolonged contact with a person who tested positive for CCVID-19. As a person can be contagious for over a day before a rapid test becomes positive, this was a reasonable and positive move.

I’ve been chided on the cruise message boards for ‘turning myself in.’ It seems quite a few people believed that they should simply go about their cruise activities and do nothing regarding COVID symptoms. The attitude appears to be one of “I paid for this cruise and I am going to enjoy it.” There is no sense of social responsibility regarding exposing others to this illness! I honestly do not understand that reasoning. I suppose I was raised in some sort of un-American way. :rolleyes:

All balcony rooms. They make sure no one can leave by taking away their medallion (needed to reenter room) and surveillance the hallway. Also close hallway off with heavy doors. But you can (supposedly) go on your own balcony

Seriously thinking of booking a 7 day to Alaska on June 26th. Hope current wave is over by then

We went last year end of July, and it was pretty chilly when outside cruising along, bring warm clothes.
Our Carnival ship didn't go far enough up the Tracy Arm to see the glacier meet the water, which is not like the advertisements, so all the people that didn't pay for an excursion on small boats only saw it from very far away.
Did see lots of icebergs.

Friends of ours took a 2 week trans-atlantic cruise that stopped in various ports along the Mediterranean. They were to fly back from Italy, this weekend, but the last day on the ship the wife began having cold symptoms. The next day, the day before their flight back to the U.S., they both tested positive. Now they are in quarantine in Italy for a week. Both are vaxxed + boostered. He is asymptomatic, she has some immuno issues but has mild symptoms (slight fever + cough). Their kids and grandkids had a big Mothers Day planned for their arrival, unfortunately it had to be Zoom event. They understand being quarantine but hoped the quarantine conditions would be better than they are experiencing. This might add between $2000-$3000 USD to their trip expense (I do not know if they bought trip insurance, and if so, what would be covered).

DW and I had been thinking once again about looking at our first ever cruise... But it seems every time we do, something happens to friends who ventured out on one.

Our poor friends. The good news their mild symptoms went away after a few days. The bad news... they are still stuck in Italy. They retested last weekend, she was negative, but he was positive. Retested Monday, both positive. They rested again tomorrow.

At least they have been moved from essentially a hotel prison to a "protected" place near the sea where they are allowed to get out and walk along the shore. They do have trip insurance so some of their expenses they should be able to get back.

I’ve been chided on the cruise message boards for ‘turning myself in.’ It seems quite a few people believed that they should simply go about their cruise activities and do nothing regarding COVID symptoms. The attitude appears to be one of “I paid for this cruise and I am going to enjoy it.” There is no sense of social responsibility regarding exposing others to this illness! I honestly do not understand that reasoning. I suppose I was raised in some sort of un-American way. :rolleyes:

This kind of attitude by so many people seems to be the same whether they are on a cruise or not. No wonder the problem continues. It appears that your life and health are not important if it interferes with any kind of moral responsibility by them. No one else matters.

Cheers!

We are not interested in cruises at the moment. Perhaps next year.

We leave in a few days for a month in Portugal.

We shopping Sept/Oct air to Greece. We will not buy until mid August or make any non cancellable reservation. Watching the covid issue.

We don't go on cruises, but did wear masks in airports and planes when we last flew a year ago. Only been on road trips since, and we have never tested ourselves. And haven't worn masks in quite some time. Now only wear masks where required.

Last time for required masks was in the Durango and Silverton train depot waiting area, but no mask required while on board the train.

We have not even considered a cruise yet. No desire to be stuck in our cabin if one of us tests positive mid cruise.

Our first post covid trip is in three weeks. A month of independent travel in Portugal.

It was either Greece or Portugal. Portugal has better covid stats and approach so we selected Portugal. Perhaps Greece in the fall.

One thing we are noticing....air fares to Europe at the moment are very inexpensive. Similar to what we paid pre covid.

Car rentals are very expensive this summer.

Just back from 2 weeks in Portugal, wonderful time, most people are not weraring masks on the street but are required on air, bus, rail & taxis. Had to test to get back to the US and thats a pain as if positive then its 7 days in a hotel room. And one doesn't know until a day before so no planning. I was nervous as there was a cold going around our (Road Scholar ) group including my wife. Everyone had to test coming to Portugal and again to return to the US, of the 8 that tested only one was positive, she had met up with some US friends separately, she ened up staying for 8 days until she didn't test positive. I am weary of the one day testing requirement to return to the US, especically when we are vaxed with 2 boosters and can travel in the US and Mexico & Canada. Many countries like Denmark have reduced masking and testing but they do have very high national vax rates.

Just back from 2 weeks in Portugal, wonderful time, most people are not wearing masks on the street but are required on air, bus, rail & taxis. Had to test to get back to the US and that's a pain as if positive then its 7 days in a hotel room. And one doesn't know until a day before so no planning.

<snip>
I am weary of the one day testing requirement to return to the US, especially when we are vaxed with 2 boosters and can travel in the US and Mexico & Canada. Many countries like Denmark have reduced masking and testing but they do have very high national vax rates.

Yeah, I knw- that was hanging over my head the whole time on my otherwise enjoyable trip to Germany and Malta. I had 2 test kits so 2 days before I did a practice run, and had to overcome a few tech hurdles. It was negative so I felt a little better. The "Real" test the next day went smoothly and was also negative. Huge sigh of relief even though I had insurance that would have covered up to $2,500 in quarantine costs. I wish they'd get rid of that for those of us fully-vaccinated.

Last edited:
I’ll be testing in a couple of days for my return to the US. It would be nice if they got rid of this requirement.

I visited a number of European countries on this trip and things are mostly back to normal.

Our poor friends. The good news their mild symptoms went away after a few days. The bad news... they are still stuck in Italy. They retested last weekend, she was negative, but he was positive. Retested Monday, both positive. They rested again tomorrow.

At least they have been moved from essentially a hotel prison to a "protected" place near the sea where they are allowed to get out and walk along the shore. They do have trip insurance so some of their expenses they should be able to get back.

Our friends *finally* both tested negative last weekend, and were back home Sunday.

DGF and I returned last weekend from our 4 week scuba diving trip to Bonaire. As of April 20, 2022, Bonaire does not require arriving travelers to show negative Covid-19 test results, proof of vaccination or recovery certificate from a doctor. We arrived on April 23 and departed on May 21. We did have to test to return to the U.S. which we accomplished the day before with the eMed Binax Now internet proctored home test.

Several Dive Masters from our dive boats tested positive for Covid-19 during our stay but we managed to avoid contagion somehow despite close personal contact with them. We were never officially notified of their positive results but learned about it from friends who were working with them. It became obvious when they disappeared for about a week and did not dive for a week after returning despite manpower shortages. Apparently, Bonaire has made the decision to live with Covid-19 and move on. They are part of the Netherlands and generally follow their lead.

We used the same eMed test kits for our back to back cruises in March when we didn't need to test to enter the U.S. but had to test to board both cruise ships.

We just returned from travel to New England (MA/NH/MA) to attend 2 college graduations and visit with DW’s 98 year old uncle. My observations:

• The airports (BWI and MHT) reminded me of my past travels through China and Taiwan. I would estimate 5-10% of people wore masks. The airports were at the busiest levels I have seen them since the pandemic started. Only one of the flight attendants on our flights wore a mask. We wore masks off and on, based on a particular situation and proximity to others.

• We had a rental car (cost almost as much as our plane tickets) and spent time in parts of Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. In Maine we saw almost no one with a mask. New Hampshire had slightly more than Maine. The most was in Massachusetts, as we were mostly in Boston and the near-Boston suburbs. Of the indoor places we were in, Whole Foods by far had thew most masks, over 50% of the shoppers.

• We stayed in 3 different hotels (all Hilton brands). "Automatic" daily housekeeping is a thing of the past. If you do not request it, you are not going to get it.

• Both graduations we attended were outdoors, with thousands of people, but did not feel packed. Maybe 1 in 20 or 30 were masked. I masked as this time is also my peak hay fever season. I did not notice any of the graduates masked.

• We took a home covid test before visiting DW’s uncle (he is not vaxxed and is against it for his own reasons), we were both negative. Much of the time we spent with him was outdoors (he is still a brisk walker). In his home he did not want us to mask, as he is deaf and can lip read to a certain degree.

• We met up with a couple of college friends in the area. Last year we talked about visiting, they both said sure, but we will be masked and social distance outdoors somewhere. Now they were both unmasked and not showing any concern. Interesting.

• The service worker shortage persists. Some food places in airports and on the road were closed or closed early due not having workers. In the airport, more are becoming automated - scan a QR code to get the menu on your smart phone, enter your order, it goes straight to the kitchen. The servers are just bringing the food to your table. Drink machines. Bill comes to your smartphone, you pay through it (the servers are "backup" for payment if there are issues with online paying).
Upon return, we both feel fine. Several family members are doctors and health care workers, and as in past family gatherings they followup in case of any issues and to let all family members know if anyone has symptoms. So far no problems. We tested ourselves today, negative. The health care worker who stops in daily to assist DW's uncle said he would try to get him to test as well.

Edited to add: Due to bad weather in the DMV on Friday, our return flight was delayed 4.5 hours. Yesterday the airline (Southwest) sent us an email apologizing for the delay, and also sent each of us $100 flight vouchers. Cool.

Last edited:
Just heard that an 80 year old vaccinated and double boosted friend on a tour in Norway is in the ICU there with Covid. I think I'm going to hold off on any discretionary travel for a while. :(

Saw a headline that more seniors died with Omicron than Delta.

Despite higher levels of vaccination.

Just heard that an 80 year old vaccinated and double boosted friend on a tour in Norway is in the ICU there with Covid. I think I'm going to hold off on any discretionary travel for a while. :(

If it's any consolation, I had to go to an ER in Norway in 2019, and I was really impressed with the caring, competent folks who took care of me and were happy to fully explain (in flawless English) exactly what was going on. So I expect your friend will also be well taken care of. The out of pocket was minimal, exactly the same as it would have been for a Norwegian citizen.

If it's any consolation, I had to go to an ER in Norway in 2019, and I was really impressed with the caring, competent folks who took care of me and were happy to fully explain (in flawless English) exactly what was going on. So I expect your friend will also be well taken care of. The out of pocket was minimal, exactly the same as it would have been for a Norwegian citizen.
That is good to hear. I wasn't too concerned with the level of care, but seeing a fairly healthy guy that is double boosted end up in ICU was eye opening.

We are still on for our UK trip in August, and the plan is to get the 4th shot in early July and hope for the maximum effect from that. We are holding out for some new booster magic, but I know that is silly and we'll get whatever makes sense. I did two moderna and a pfizer so far.

Saw a headline that more seniors died with Omicron than Delta.

Despite higher levels of vaccination.

Some of this was simply due to the huge numbers of people infected. Since Omicron is so contagious a lot more people were infected at once (and infected overall), evidenced by the enormous spike that blew away any previous outbreak peaks.

Plus a lot of seniors didn’t get boosters.

Last edited:
Made it back to the homestead this past weekend. 10% masks at airports and on plane. "Empl*yees" of all kinds DID wear masks - and properly as well. Couple behind me coughed the whole (main) flight. Neither was masked - and neither was I. So far so good though YMMV.

I contracted Covid when traveling in May. Fortunately, DH did not get Covid. I was vaccinated and boosted so my case was mild. While shopping yesterday, we bought more masks. Covid is picking up in our area and we still need an ample supply of masks.

The latest data from the CDC seems to indicate that U.S. cases are now dropping and the 7 day trend is going down. Probably will have to wait another month to see if there was an impact from May graduations gatherings, Memorial Day, and associated travel.

The latest data from the CDC seems to indicate that U.S. cases are now dropping and the 7 day trend is going down. Probably will have to wait another month to see if there was an impact from May graduations gatherings, Memorial Day, and associated travel.

That would be some good news for a change. As I was traveling, cases were still climbing and the news was filled with doom and gloom - of course, thats' what they seem to do best.:facepalm: Let us hope that the periodic jumps in Covid will become fewer and farther between. Heaven knows, we've had a rough couple of years already. We deserve a break.

Alas, here on the west coast Covid appears to be rising. I am now wearing a mask more often when inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom