Travel hopes for 2022

Instead of Lancaster county in early spring, we substituted a long weekend drive through MD, VA and NC to visit relatives.

Now we are in the earliest planning stages of a 3-week trip to Europe. It might begin in Ireland and Scotland, we'll see.

I have news regarding my sister with the glioblastoma.
They are working on a European trip sometime in June!!
It will either begin or end in the UK with our family there, and the other endpoint might be Spain or Portugal, and the middle is properly fuzzy. Paris is in there.
We invited them to join us on the August trip but this is better IMO. We will be thrilled to care for Hazel the dog in their absence.
They have the tickets woohoo!!
They start in the UK and come home from Lisbon a month later, the whole month of July more or less. I'm pumped for them.
The middle is appropriately vague.

I agree. I try to travel light, but when I have a lot to carry, I use something like this:
https://pacsafe.com/products/vibe-200-anti-theft-crossbody

I used a similar cross-body bag, which can be worn in my back, or switched to my chest when in crowded environments.

Not exact model, but like this.

71orNOBM7QL._AC_UX679_.jpg

I recently bought a smaller and thin bag, to be worn under an armpit and under a jacket, much like an undercover cop armpit gun holster. I have not had a chance to use it though.

Not exact model, but like this.

61gaPfn3SdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The worse fear in testing positive isn't the virus itself, it's the potential process of having to stay in a foreign country for maybe an extra 2 weeks until you test negative. The process of finding a last minute hotel plus the associated costs along with changing flights is a major issue for most people. No matter how great a vacation is, when it's over you're generally ready to go home. In our case we had just used up the last of our clean clothes.

A good trip insurance policy would cover this, no?

A good trip insurance policy would cover this, no?

I wouldn't count on it.

Trip Interruption is not standard and has high bars like you need a doctor's note ordering you to quarantine.

On my Fidelity site there's a one-line news item stating that the White House will announce today that they'll drop the pre-testing requirement to get back into the USA, effective Sunday The source is listed as Benzinga (subscription required) and I see the item only if I log into my Fidelity account, so posting a link wouldn't help.

Anyone see this anywhere else? That would make me feel SO much better about my trip to E. Europe in August.

On my Fidelity site there's a one-line news item stating that the White House will announce today that they'll drop the pre-testing requirement to get back into the USA, effective Sunday The source is listed as Benzinga (subscription required) and I see the item only if I log into my Fidelity account, so posting a link wouldn't help.

Anyone see this anywhere else? That would make me feel SO much better about my trip to E. Europe in August.

A quick google shows that many outlets are reporting this. CNN is claiming to be the first: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/us-to-end-pre-departure-testing-requirement/index.html

Wonderful. We are flying to Roatan in 8 days and will remove a lot of the anxiety about the trip (and save a few bucks ;) )

In France now. Will be flying back next week.

Have an appointment at a Paris pharmacy for a test the day before.

I have a touch of a sore throat but doubt I would be as active as I’ve been, logging a lot of miles including uphill, if I had a case.

That is huge news!

But I just got back from USVI. We did not travel to BVI because of this requirement. A change a bit earlier would have been welcome!

But not to complain...

This year is turning out great for travel.

Did some local scooby-van camping in January

Went to Red Rock and Valley of Fire Nevada, scooby van camping in March

Hubby went to visit his brother in FL a week later.

Did a longish central coast camping/motel trip in April/May. San Diego->Marin->San Diego with mostly state beach campgrounds.

Just got back from scooby van camping in Mammoth with some altitude hikes.

Coming up we have:

Bryce scooby van camping in August with family and friends.

Pismo Beach scooby van camping in September while we help younger son move into his off campus house.

Machu Picchu/Galapagos in Oct/Nov.

We have reservation for our favorite local beach campground in mid November.

Considering a trip to NYC for December to do the xmas in NYC thing.

I've attached a pic of the scooby-van... It has made camping much nicer than sleeping on the ground.

Easy to see and you won't confuse it with other campers !

Did you bring that big wooden box/desk like thing that has the white pail on top ?

Dropping the pre-flight COVID test is great news for our August through early October trip to Switzerland. One less thing to worry about. However, we will wear N95 masks in high risk situations. Some of those funicular rail cars that climb the alps can get pretty crowded.

Dropping the pre-flight COVID test is great news for our August through early October trip to Switzerland. One less thing to worry about. However, we will wear N95 masks in high risk situations. Some of those funicular rail cars that climb the alps can get pretty crowded.

I rode a funicular last summer in Bergamo, Italy which was packed to the gills with people.

Also rode the big cable cars, again standing room only, people right up against each other's chests, for Aiguille du Midi up to Mont Blanc. That ride was over 30 minutes.

But it was all before Omicron.

I rode a funicular last summer in Bergamo, Italy which was packed to the gills with people.

Also rode the big cable cars, again standing room only, people right up against each other's chests, for Aiguille du Midi up to Mont Blanc. That ride was over 30 minutes.

But it was all before Omicron.

My plan this time is to ride up to the funiculars up to:

Monte Bre, Monte San Salvatore, Rigi, Stranserhorn, Rocher De Naye, Murren, Schilthorn, Stoos, and Pilatus.

I expect it to be less crowded in September, but won't take any chances and will wear a high filtration mask on those funiculars.

Yes, I saw the drop of Covid test to fly back to the US. I will get more serious about making a long trip to Europe in late summer.

I hope my wife will find some arrangement to have her mother looked after while we are gone for several weeks.

My plan this time is to ride up to the funiculars up to:

Monte Bre, Monte San Salvatore, Rigi, Stranserhorn, Rocher De Naye, Murren, Schilthorn, Stoos, and Pilatus.

I expect it to be less crowded in September, but won't take any chances and will wear a high filtration mask on those funiculars.

On Stanserhorn, you can ride on top of the cabin. I forget if you have to pay extra. However, lot of people wanted to go up top and there's limited space. I think this was in August when I went so it was warm enough to ride up there.

Rocher de Naye, I think you can open the windows. Maybe the same with Rigi since they're trains.

Speaking of trains, one of my absolute favorite mountain excursions was Rothorn in Brienz. Provided Brienzee is not clouded over, it's spectacular at the top. That one definitely had open windows and I got a lot of great shots, especially in the last 15-30 minutes going up.

Yes, I saw the drop of Covid test to fly back to the US. I will get more serious about making a long trip to Europe in late summer.

I hope my wife will find some arrangement to have her mother looked after while we are gone for several weeks.

You don't have to worry about getting infected during your trip and not being able to fly back.

However, that also means you're more likely to be on a long plane trip with some infected people.

Dropping the covid test for return to the US is such a relief! I am going to Peru next week and did NOT want to be detained after the trip. Nor to worry about it during the trip.

Dropping the covid test for return to the US is such a relief! I am going to Peru next week and did NOT want to be detained after the trip. Nor to worry about it during the trip.

I also spent $400 on an insurance policy for my last trip that would have covered up to $2,500 in quarantine expenses. Not much, but it that was what was widely available. It did cover some other medical claims but I'm very glad i I don't need that supplemental policy for my next trip- just the usual travel medical insurance.

I also spent $400 on an insurance policy for my last trip that would have covered up to $2,500 in quarantine expenses. Not much, but it that was what was widely available. It did cover some other medical claims but I'm very glad i I don't need that supplemental policy for my next trip- just the usual travel medical insurance.

Which policy was that?

Did you read the terms closely?

Usually you have to get some verifiable letter from a doctor ordering the quarantine to get claims for quarantine costs covered.

Seemed like a lot of caveats so I didn't trust the to enroll in such policies.

Which policy was that?

Did you read the terms closely?

Usually you have to get some verifiable letter from a doctor ordering the quarantine to get claims for quarantine costs covered.

Seemed like a lot of caveats so I didn't trust the to enroll in such policies.

It was Travelex. I just figured the companies were all providing very narrow coverage with restrictive conditions but it was something.

Happy I didn't need it.:D

On Stanserhorn, you can ride on top of the cabin. I forget if you have to pay extra. However, lot of people wanted to go up top and there's limited space. I think this was in August when I went so it was warm enough to ride up there.

Rocher de Naye, I think you can open the windows. Maybe the same with Rigi since they're trains.

Speaking of trains, one of my absolute favorite mountain excursions was Rothorn in Brienz. Provided Brienzee is not clouded over, it's spectacular at the top. That one definitely had open windows and I got a lot of great shots, especially in the last 15-30 minutes going up.

We have been through most of those locations including trains and funiculars over the past 30 years. You are right that most of the cogwheel trains have windows that can be opened. This trip I wanted to record the most scenic locations in Switzerland with a good video camera and other gear and do some hiking/biking at the same time. I'm getting a Swiss Travel Pass (flexible) that is good for one month and any 15 days within the month. So I'm counting on at least 15 days when it won't be raining. It includes all public transportation (boats, trains, busses) and some funicular at no additional cost or 50% off, and free entrance to most museums for about $500. It also includes the Golden Pass and Glacier Express trains. For nearby destinations, We'll just drive our car. We also have road bikes and do a lot of biking whenever we visit. I plan to connect my gimbal to my bike to get some nice shots while gliding down steep grades bike. All the sites now have webcams so we can see what it's like before visiting. So weather permitting, the plan is to cover the following:

- Montreux Riviera (2 Days)
Montreaux, Vevey,
Haute-de-Caux. Rocher De Naye
Chateaux Chillon
Lavaux
Gstaad

- Interlaken/Jung Frau (3 days)

Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Grutschalp, Murren, Schiltorn

Grindelwald First

Lake Brienz, Lake Thun

- Luzern (4 days)

Rigi

Stanserhorn

Pilatus

Stoos

- Zurich (1 Day)

- Zermatt (1 Day)

Gornergrat

Lugano (2 days)

-Monte San Salvatore
-Monte Bre
-Morcote

Neuchatel/Bienne/Bern (1 day)

Romainmôtier and Jura Region (2 days)

Geneva Region (Lausanne to Geneva) (3 days)

Gruyeres (1 Day)

We have six weeks to cover everything on our list, so if we get 21 days of clear weather we should be able to cover everything.

Just back from Europe. 8 night Viking cruise on the Danube, extra days in Budapest and Prague (got there by bus), plus 12 days in the Italian Dolomites on our own. We masked when indoors, but you can't while eating, regardless of how distanced other people were. We usually dined in. Tested negative to fly home.

I arrived in Cornwall yesterday. The sea air smells wonderful!

Sorry about a couple of sideways photos. Operator error.

Attachments

• 04501B3A-1D4A-40D0-A73D-544F456980BB.jpeg
    04501B3A-1D4A-40D0-A73D-544F456980BB.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 7E2BE348-ACE5-4B09-AE78-D20F49C220E4.jpeg
    7E2BE348-ACE5-4B09-AE78-D20F49C220E4.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 5F95E578-B530-418B-AEAD-4F6AB497F3B2.jpg
    5F95E578-B530-418B-AEAD-4F6AB497F3B2.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back