Travel right now: FAIR WARNING!

Tile is the device I have seen for Android that is most compared to Apple airtags. Here is a review that compares the functionality of the two: https://www.pcmag.com/news/airtag-vs-tile-which-bluetooth-tracker-should-you-choose

I have a Tile device in my wallet and on my key chain. It has saved me a lot of problems. How they compare with Air Tags, I cannot personally say. But, there were no Air Tags when I first purchased Tile. I may switch as I have mostly Apple equipment. The idea of paying Tile $30 a year of extra services is annoying, especially since i have to replace several of them every few years since the battery cannot be changed.

Last edited:
Thailand will be a challenge for us if our planned snowbird trip happens.

It typically takes us three flight segments to get to BKK. One short hop to the west coast and then two longer ones. It would not take much of a flight delay to be stuck in any one of two airport locations for a day or two.

Looked at the fares last week...they are up, up, up.

There’s now a direct flight from Vancouver to BKK. As you suggest, they’re not cheap.

I have a flight in November with Air Canada.

I got a long email from them saying they tried to prepare but they still couldn't meet the incredible demand there is right now.

So they are canceling some flights in July and August.

My hotel forgot my wake up call even after I told them why it was important. Luckily I set my cell alarm and woke up every 2 hours all night long. I went to the lobby at 10:30 for my 11 am ride and he was there 5 minutes later. Very talkative guy so learned lots about Ireland in 4 hours. He told me to be at the airport 6 hours early. When I checked out of the hotel they wanted me to show proof that the tour company was paying my expenses. He said to show a email. I told them the hotel told me that they received the email directly from the tour company last week per their front desk person. I told them to call my tour guide and take it up with her. No way I would have stayed for a week if I was paying for it.

My hotel forgot my wake up call even after I told them why it was important. Luckily I set my cell alarm and woke up every 2 hours all night long.

Wow. You should write a TripAdvisor review and mention this. I suppose it would have worked out OK- your driver would have had them call you if you didn't appear after a decent interval- but how inept. Good move to have redundant alarms for a mission-critical wakeup call. It once worked the other way for me- the hotel wakeup call came as requested and I found I'd set my phone alarm for the same time- PM.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
DW saw a news break from a flight attendant who said that first flights out in the morning are least likely to be cancelled.

Just booked a couple flights Chi - Las Vegas on Southwest. But I didn't take the earliest flights out - I'll take my chances.

Did anyone see the system wide waiver Delta issued for July 1 - 4. They expect things to get ugly and say if you can change your plans it would behoove you to do so. Now this is before any weather issues pop up.. My goodness.

DW saw a news break from a flight attendant who said that first flights out in the morning are least likely to be cancelled.

Just booked a couple flights Chi - Las Vegas on Southwest. But I didn't take the earliest flights out - I'll take my chances.

We typically book early morning flights. As the day goes forward flight delays occur.

The problem is not just flight scheds. It is airport capacity...specifically security and baggage.

We avoided a great deal of potential pain on five flight segments over the past five weeks by doing carry on only. Same for train travel in Portugal.

I had an early morning flight out of Lisbon, left on time. The airport was busy, but not too crazy.

DS had an afternoon flight and spent three hours on the plane before they took off. No idea why. The only plus is that he might qualify for EU compensation.

So yeah, early morning flights. And always give yourself plenty of time regardless.

My family is 1000 miles away and my honey said he would NEVER EVER drive it again... and yet guess who is driving it again. We heard so many horror stories about flying this year, add to it there is no direct flight and even in good times we have been stranded overnight in airports, was enough for him to cave.

And....a friend who was supposed to take off for Paris today had his flight cancelled by Air France. They could accommodate him on Sunday but he didn't think that would leave him and his wife enough days to enjoy Paris. (He's still employed so has to count vacation days.) They're visiting his mother in NJ instead.

I suppose the good news is that since they were flying out of ATL they weren't stuck in a connecting airport or delayed coming home.

Did anyone see the system wide waiver Delta issued for July 1 - 4. They expect things to get ugly and say if you can change your plans it would behoove you to do so. Now this is before any weather issues pop up.. My goodness.

For those interested, FlightAware does a good job of tracking daily delays and cancellations worldwide: https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled

They also have a Misery Map pictorially showing at which airports flights are being delayed and cancelled: https://flightaware.com/miserymap/

Family members have taken two trips this week with no travel troubles other than typical delays. DM and DSister traveled from AUS to BTV via ORD on American on Tuesday and arrived on-time. DS traveled from BTV to AUS via JFK on Delta yesterday and all was on-time.

So there is hope but they all traveled prior to the busiest travel days for the holiday weekend... by design. Or they just got lucky.

Last edited:
Month long road trip (via RV) awesome (expensive gas BTD). Now on cruise ship from home town (Seattle) to Alaska. Easy peasy. Lots of choices not dependent on airlines, etc.

We are cruising monthly the rest of the year.

I evaluated each flight closely.
Day before.
Mornings only.
Long layovers--over an hour (most are 2.5-4.5 hours)
Several more options to our destination from our connecting airport as the day goes on.
Have scoped out lounges when possible to help ease the pain of the long layovers; unfortunately several are thru MDW (SWA). Luckily DH felt their were sufficient options in MDW to sit & have a drink.
Now I'm thinking I may try for 2 days early when possible...

DS flew to NYC on Delta today & I was a bit worried. Luckily he took the 6AM flight & was in a Lyft in NYC by 11AM their time.

Looks like I picked the right summer

Looks like I picked the right summer to break my leg and get a plate in my knee.

I've driven across the country a couple times this year. Other than a few issues finding fuel on busy days, and poor hotel conditions (dirty, understaffed etc), pretty much normal. Seems to be more campers & trailers on the road, many of them with drivers who don't seem too confident behind the wheel.

Prices don't seem to be affecting traffic & tourism; CO is full. Overfull, really - locals can't enjoy anything here because it's so crowded. I live on the outskirts of a popular ski town, and we are absolutely buried in locust tourists - probably the worst year we've ever seen.

Having just returned from a weeklong, cross-country trip for a cousin's wedding and some sightseeing/vacationing in the area, I can safely say that the travel situation in the U.S. right now is... well, to put it kindly... a bit of a disaster. So this post is my "word to the wise" for those of us who might be contemplating travel but are wondering whether it's worth the hassle this summer. I have to say that, based on my recent experience, it is NOT, but read on if you're interested in the particulars.

First of all, the situation with air travel right now is an unmitigated disaster. Our flight from Atlanta to the west coast was canceled, out of the blue, as we were standing in line to check in for our flight. There were no other flights available (according to the agent), not even flights to nearby airports. And to add insult to injury, they refused to help us find flights on other airlines that were heading to (or close to) our destination, instead only offering us seats on a flight TWO DAYS from our scheduled departure. This was entirely unacceptable, as we would have missed the wedding and all related festivities entirely.

After a full 90 minutes of back and forth, with the agent calling (and being placed on extended hold) and DW and I calling and waiting on a one-hour hold with the airline, we finally got the agent to agree to escalate our dilemma to a top-level customer care rep who secured two seats on a flight to a city 120 miles away. We boarded that flight a full 2½ hours after our originally scheduled departure (that flight was itself delayed), and arrived at our new "nearby" destination at nearly 4:30am. We only laid our heads down to sleep, exhausted and exasperated, after spending an additional $250 to book a hotel room last minute near the new destination airport, and spending $35 for an Uber to take us there (no taxis available at that time of night).

The next morning, we had to get to our original destination city ASAP, but did not have a rental car or other ready means of transportation at our disposal. (Our rental car was waiting for us at the original destination airport). After looking at a few options, we decided to spend $140 to hire an Uber to drive us the 120 miles to our rental car pickup spot. When we got there, we stood in a one hour line to check in to pick up our car, only to be told that THERE WERE NO CARS AVAILABLE. :facepalm: Apparently, they were very short staffed and returning cars were bring processed (cleaned, prepped, refueled, etc.) by a skeleton crew, leading to 45-60 minute waits for people picking up their cars. So, we waited... and waited... and waited some more. Finally, after about 50 minutes, we got our car and were on our way. We literally felt like we'd won the lottery after driving out of there.

Fortunately, everything else on our trip went pretty smoothly after that, but boy was that first 24 hours a nerve-wracking, aggravating ordeal. My advice to anyone who is on the fence about traveling right now is, DON'T, unless you absolutely have to or you have a very easygoing, calm, happy-go-lucky attitude about delays, cancellations, and snags of all sorts you're very likely to encounter. Otherwise, probably best to wait until the summer travel crush is over and the airlines and rental car companies have regained their footing.

We haven't traveled since the pandemic started and might not ever again unless it's a short road trip. Vacationing in our own state or nearby states. We live in a vacation area so we're good. The whole flying thing always sucked and now it's the worst ever. I have heard similar stories from people I know.

My retirement travel bucket list is empty because of this. I only had a few places I would have liked to visit since retiring in 2020, but at this rate I am losing my ability to tolerate this kind of thing as I age. Heck, I never had the patience for it when I was younger and working, but I desperately wanted those vacations.

I think if I was you I would have just went home when they cancelled the flight. But glad the rest of your trip worked out ok.

Last edited:
I've driven across the country a couple times this year. Other than a few issues finding fuel on busy days, and poor hotel conditions (dirty, understaffed etc), pretty much normal. Seems to be more campers & trailers on the road, many of them with drivers who don't seem too confident behind the wheel.

Prices don't seem to be affecting traffic & tourism; CO is full. Overfull, really - locals can't enjoy anything here because it's so crowded. I live on the outskirts of a popular ski town, and we are absolutely buried in locust tourists - probably the worst year we've ever seen.

Heh, heh, try living in Hawaii. But we love tourists - they pay most of our taxes. YMMV

Yeah it sounds like most of the flight cancellations are domestic?

I took three trips to Europe last summer and two so far this year.

I believe they said domestic flights in the US in summer 2021 was over 100% of domestic flights in the summer of 2019.

Europe flights from the US were not at 2019 levels.

This summer though, fares are higher so that may reflect higher demand, even before they dropped the test requirement to return to the US.

Nope, I had South America flight canceled, my friend had his Europe flights canceled. All USA based carriers but all routes are at risk of cancelation!

Back
Top Bottom