Traveling to Seattle area in May

seraphim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have never been to the Seattle area, and we're mostly the outdoor nature type. Though we'd like to spend a couple of days in the city, mostly traveling around the outlying areas along the coast and any parks/wilderness areas. We pretty much want to be out of the area before Memorial Day. Considering flying and spending two weeks minimum at hotels/lodges, although our customary mode of travel is truck camper. We really have no time limits, so can stay longer if we wish.

Looking for suggestions of natural wonders to visit, possible hotels in the outlying areas, kayaking, seaplane tours, etc, or anything else one might find interesting. Appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited:
From Seattle, you can do a day trip to Snoqualmie Falls, where an easy hike will take you from the visitor center down to the foot of the falls.

There's the Olympic National Park, but to even visit the Hurricane Ridge is a long day trip from Seattle. It's better you spend time to go around this large NP and visit other spots like the Hoh Rain Forest, then detour to Astoria climb up the Astoria Column, etc... Two weeks is enough time to do all that.

We have been to the Puget Sound many times over the years, and enjoyed simple pleasures like walking the downtown of Bellingham, along the shore of the nearby lake Samish, or the Discovery Park near Seattle, visiting a lavender farm in Sequim, etc...

PS. There's a recent thread on the same subject of visiting the area. Perhaps somebody else will chime in and post a link.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I anticipate we'll stay in three or four different hotels, maybe a few days around Olympic Park, then a few nights elsewhere, then move again. I think we can cover a bit more distance that way. I'll search for the other thread you mentioned.

Thronewood castle is neat and flies under the radar, and it's on the banks of American Lake, if you want some gentle lake kayaking. It's also quite different, so check it out online before booking, I imagine it's not everyone's taste.

I believe there's a luxury treehouse hotel near snoqualmie. I checked it out a couple years ago, but I think the prices scared me off.

Thanks for the suggestions cooch96. Thronewood sounds neat, but I haven't checked out the treehouse hotel yet, though we found some fun treehouse cabins in the area. It's our 40th anniversary, so we're looking to do something different than our normal meandering-aorund-the-country-without-any-fixed plans. I'll keep looking for that hotel...

Most of the National Parks/Monuments near Seattle (Mt. Rainier, North Cascades, Mt St Helens, and Olympic) may still have significant snow in late May if you were hoping to hike. Check out the website for these for recommendations regarding best time to visit.

However, there are many state parks in the Cascades (30 minutes-2 hours max from Seattle) where hiking will be wonderful in late May. You will need a day pass to use the parks (available online - see Washington State Parks Portal, WA | Official Website for descriptions, maps, and pertinent details).

- Rita

is it rainy in the Forks area that time of year?

is it rainy in the Forks area that time of year?

This is joke, right? Anyway, no one lives there but vampires, and they mostly are thinking about their next meal.

Ha

No, forks is a nice area to visit - rain forest is neato

...It's our 40th anniversary, so we're looking to do something different than our normal meandering-aorund-the-country-without-any-fixed plans. I'll keep looking for that hotel...

You may want to check out the Herbfarm a bit north of Seattle. They have a 9-course dinner that lasts a few hours, and with lots of wine to go with the dishes. The dinner is something more than $300/person, and has to be booked in advance. And they have some suites that you can book so you do not have to drive drunk back to the hotel.

We are just past our 37th anniversary. May do something like this in the future.

Last edited:
+1 for Snoqualmie Falls. DW and I were in Seattle for a few days and loved going there.
Also, if you're in the area, Salty's at Redondo Beach was great for Duneness Crab.

When you are walking around in the city you might want to go to the top of the Smith Tower. Cheaper than the space needle.

When you are walking around in the city you might want to go to the top of the Smith Tower. Cheaper than the space needle.
Great suggestion. The Smith Tower is a beautiful building, and when I first came to Seattle it was the tallest building in town.

Ha

Thanks for the suggestions cooch96. Thronewood sounds neat, but I haven't checked out the treehouse hotel yet, though we found some fun treehouse cabins in the area. It's our 40th anniversary, so we're looking to do something different than our normal meandering-aorund-the-country-without-any-fixed plans. I'll keep looking for that hotel...

Typo alert! I meant Thornewood. It's about 35miles south of Seatac airport. It's supposedly haunted, and legitimately creepy if you let your imagination get the better of you. One of Stephen King's movies was partially filmed there.

In addition to the Smith Tower, if you're downtown the Columbia Tower (40th floor) has a Starbucks. Mostly used by office workers in that building, it's a nice place to grab a cup of coffee and marvel at the view. Unlike the viewing area at the top of the building, there is no fee.

Also, the Central Library is a nice place to relax for a bit. Free wifi, and there is a tiny coffee shop upstairs near the friendstore.

In addition to the Smith Tower, if you're downtown the Columbia Tower (40th floor) has a Starbucks. Mostly used by office workers in that building, it's a nice place to grab a cup of coffee and marvel at the view. Unlike the viewing area at the top of the building, there is no fee.
Thanks for this info SIS.

Ha

DW claims that the copper river salmon at Cutters in Seattle is the best meal she ever had.

You gotta time the travel right to get Copper River when its in season, but yes it is the best salmon. We cook it on a cedar plank most of the time:dance:

Check out some of Tom Douglas's restaurants, usually reasonable in cost and well prepared. Like Dahlias... However those down by the Pikes market are a little touristy, but a good spot if you are parked down there.

We had a side by side trio of salmon demonstrating the Copper River versus others at one of his restaurants. Check out http://tomdouglas.com/

Last edited:
An oddball place I really love is what I guess you could call "manicured nature".

The Pacific Bonsai Museum at the Weyerhaeuser HQ is a delightful place to walk around for a couple of hours.

An oddball place I really love is what I guess you could call "manicured nature".

The Pacific Bonsai Museum at the Weyerhaeuser HQ is a delightful place to walk around for a couple of hours.
You likely know this, but although this wonderful bonsai exhibit is still in Federal Way, Weyerhaeuser HQ has moved north to Pioneer Square.

Ha

No, I didn't know that. It was a really nice area, as I recall. Haven't been there since 2010. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of the Space Needle, I still remember having lunch up there, decades ago, in our honeymoon road trip. If I recall correctly, the ride up was free for restaurant patrons. But I definitely recall having my 1st ever Cioppino up there.

I have not been back since, and just now look online to see that they charge $22/person to go up to the observation deck. Ouch! However, their Web site says restaurant patrons can get to the observation deck for free. I do not recall going up to the observation deck (there goes my "superior memory"), but the view from the rotating restaurant was fine.

I do recall not having to make a reservation, because I just decided to have lunch there on the spur of the moment. There may be more traffic now, and it might have changed.

We appreciate all the thoughts and information. They're really being helpful as we look over a myriad of information. We're currently looking at travelling through the San Juan Islands, Olympic National Park, and Mt Rainier - making a westward loop from Seattle. Going to let AAA make all the reservations - getting lazy in my advanced years...

There are lots of opportunities for kayaking in the San Juan Islands and you can hike up Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island. There are some nice hikes near and on the Olympic Coast including Shipwreck Coast area.
Mt. Rainier Park offers some nice lowland hikes to waterfalls (Carbon River area) in the Spring.

FYI....Copper River Salmon usually hits Seattle area restaurants around the second week of May :)

Back
Top Bottom