Triglycerides

I'm with Ha & Khan et al....Low carb diet will be more effective on Triglicerides.

I have been consistently eating low carb for 2 years & my Triglicerides (age 57) are 36 (the average is supposed to be 40 - 249 per the test) - which is below normal range. My family history would indicate it should be the opposite.

I primarily eat meat of all kinds, eggs, cheese, nuts and occasionally green vegetables, plus any non-sweet dressing I like (mayo, blue cheese, Italian etc.). No grains/bread, sugar/sweets or fruit. I drink some wine & coffee with cream.

Yeah, it sounds like with all the fatty food I should have horrible health, but I don't. :flowers:

You might want to check out this forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?

As far as drinking goes (I only drink red wine) and I am a T2 diabetic, consumption of alcohol does push up my Tri's.

In an effort to bring my Tri's down, I was instructed to not drink one week before my BT. To push the point, I stopped drinking wine for a month before my BT (I was crabby that month).

My Tri level dropped by more than a hundred points (from the 3's, to the 2's).

Next BT, I stopped drinking wine one week before. While my Tri's dropped, it was not as dramatic.

My heart care doctor (one of many) said that while stopping the wine dropped the Tri's, overall the benefit of the wine to my health was more important and not to go overboard (e.g. not more than two glasses/day).

While I don't always stick to that schedule, I try to skip a few days to make up for other days (averages are everything)...

Drinking wine (for me) is a two-edged sword. It's good for my health overall, but bad for me if taken to excess...

I eat fat all day long, but not much carbs, and my last triglyceride result was 21.
Better protect that portfolio – you’re gonna live to be 100.

Today I bought some Smart Balance "buttery spread", low fat mayo, low fat salad dressing, catfish fillets, and ground turkey to make some chili. Spent a lot of time reading labels at the grocery store.
Any tasty, low fat/cholesterol (and frugal of course!) food suggestions you have would be most welcome.
Lots of good responses here.

We use canola oil, canola margarine, and lots of olive oil. Very little mayo. Salad dressing is envelop with balsamic & canola. We have lots of animal protein – turkey, chicken, bison, fish, and also lots of greens and vegetables. Only brown rice, sweet potato, or whole grain pasta. DW is an excellent cook so our food is tasty and varied. We have lots of turkey and bison dishes.

Audrey is right on 2 things – gotta get the sugars down, doctors aren’t necessarily up to date on nutrition. Not a dig, just not well covered in their training. There generally is pretty good advice on this forum...

Based on my own experience, I am in complete agreement with the folks that say that dietary carbohydrates are the main contributor to high triglycerides, not dietary fat. Focus on limiting or eliminating things like refined flour, fruit juice, potatoes from your diet, and you should see improved triglyceride levels right away. Here is what Dr. William Davis has to say about it:

Cholesterol - Fats vs. Carbohydrates: Which Are More Important to Reduce Triglycerides?

We use canola oil, canola margarine, and lots of olive oil. Very little mayo. Salad dressing is envelop with balsamic & canola. We have lots of animal protein – turkey, chicken, bison, fish, and also lots of greens and vegetables. Only brown rice, sweet potato, or whole grain pasta. DW is an excellent cook so our food is tasty and varied. We have lots of turkey and bison dishes.

I'm guessing you eat bison instead of beef because it's lower in fat. We also do brown rice and whole wheat breads and pastas - if you hang onto some carbs, I suspect it's better than foods made from white flour or white rice.

One more question - any opinions on oatmeal and oat cereals? Lots seem to think it's good for lowering cholesterol (at least the commericals for these products indicate this - and we all know we can trust commercial messages;)).

I'm guessing you eat bison instead of beef because it's lower in fat. We also do brown rice and whole wheat breads and pastas - if you hang onto some carbs, I suspect it's better than foods made from white flour or white rice.

I used to eat a lot of whole wheat bread and pasta also, thinking the complex carbs in it were good for me. Then I read a few articles like this one, also by Dr. William Davis:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/c/7986/112680/carbohydrates

Since then, I have cut out most wheat products from my diet, and my blood pressure has improved greatly. I also lost some weight around my mid-section, which I couldn't lose by reducing fat in my diet. Not sure about triglycerides yet, as I won't have that test for a few months yet, but I am betting it is down as well.

As a type 2, I've discovered that whole wheat breads and pastas and brown or wild rices might be better than the whites (as far as the glycemic index goes), they are still carbs, still easily digestible, and will raise my blood glucose readings really high and really fast. Stay away if possible, but if not, stick with the browns.

One more question - any opinions on oatmeal and oat cereals? Lots seem to think it's good for lowering cholesterol (at least the commericals for these products indicate this - and we all know we can trust commercial messages;)).

Ignore the ads, oatmeal and oat cerals are right up there with potatos and white rice as far as carbs and cholesterol go. If even the FDA (most clueless nutritional organization out there) has figured it out, it's pretty nuch a done deal. FDA Scolds General Mills Over Cheerios Claims

Some years ago, the doc told my mom she had high cholesterol, and to cut the eggs and eat only oatmeal for breakfast, as a natural way to bring down the cholesterol numbers. Note please that she ate eggs but only 3-4 a week, before receiving this advice. So, she eats only oatmeal for breakfast along with a glass of OJ (no milk because of lactose intolerance), and proudly goes back to the doc 6 months later thinking her cholesterol would have gone down. But, au contraire, it was up 50 points, so the doc put her on meds (not Dawg's style of med...the kind in a pill).

I am not sure, but I think if you really wanted to eat a lot of oatmeal, I would probably stick with oat bran hot cereal instead (ready to eat has tooooo much sugar). Certainly don't go to an OJ and Oatmeal diet...from mom's experience.

R

The only blood test I took that said I had high triglycerides, I had a large glass of orange juice the night before (about 10 hours before the test). Coincidence, maybe, but if you check out the calorie count alone of fruit juice, it's a show-stopper. I've quit all fruit juice, and eat fruit instead. I've changed many other things over the years to get my mostly-great blood test results now, but I think dropping fruit juice (and of course all sugared drinks) was a really important step.

I used to eat a lot of whole wheat bread and pasta also, thinking the complex carbs in it were good for me. Then I read a few articles like this one, also by Dr. William Davis:

Since then, I have cut out most wheat products from my diet, and my blood pressure has improved greatly. I also lost some weight around my mid-section, which I couldn't lose by reducing fat in my diet. Not sure about triglycerides yet, as I won't have that test for a few months yet, but I am betting it is down as well.

Thank you very much for that link for Dr. Davis's articles. I spent a good portion of the morning reading and printing.

Over the last year, I've pretty much eliminated bread products from my diet but still have a few Rye Crisp every day with peanut butter or hummus. I was interested in any information regarding Triglycerides and this link really was spot on with what I wanted.

At the time of my last BT, my Triglycerides were in the mid 200s and at the time, I was really into oatmeal for breakfast. This summer for breakfast I've been having berries and Greek style yogurt and maybe a little Fiber One mixed in. I don't have another BT 'til Feb so it will be interesting to see what changes in Feb if I take some of Dr. Davis's advise.

I don't think I will be increasing my saturated fat tho since the last time I tried that experiment I had another bout of pancreatitis....:nonono:

Professor of Cell Biology at SUNY Downstate Interviewed on Diet

Hyperlipid: More fighting talk

In this interview Dr. Feinman mentions-(paraphrased) It is said that we are what we eat. But this is not true, the body is about chemistry, and chemistry is about transformations. In fact, the saturated fat in our bloodstream comes from carbohydrates.

Ha

Dr. Davis notes:

"Legumes like kidney beans contain amylopectin C, the least digestible form of amylopectin-hence the gas characteristic of beans, since undigested amylopectin fragments make their way to the colon. Colon bacteria feast on the undigested starches and generate gas, while making the sugars unavailable for you to absorb.

Amylopectin B is the form found in bananas and potatoes and, while more digestible than bean amylopectin C, still resists digestion to some degree.

The most digestible is amylopectin A, the form found in wheat. Because it is the most readily digested by amylase, it is the form that increases blood sugar most vigorously. This explains why, gram for gram, wheat increases blood sugar to a much greater degree than, say, chickpeas, kidney beans, or sweet potatoes-even though they are all "complex" carbohydrates."

So, according to him, the same property that causes gas after eating beans limits the increase in blood sugar. They are hard to digest. Couldn't help but think about that scene in Blazing Saddles;)

My diet is somewhere between Mediterranean and Atkins maintenance.
All I know is I ate much less after retirement.
It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, it is much less than the stress eating while I was w*rking.

Last edited:
Talk to your doctor about fish oil supplementation. Omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil have been shown to significantly reduce serum trigylcerides. A prescription form of omega fatty acids exist (Lovaza), but OTC omega concentrates seem to be just as effective.

I take Zone Omega concentrate. 4000mg fish oil per day that has 1600 EPA and 800 DHA. Again, ask your physician.

Avoid the instant and quick cook oats - those are like refined starches and can raise blood sugar levels quickly. Some folks use the steel cut oats which are much slower to digest. In general the soluble fiber in oats helps slow digestion, which helps slow release of sugars into the blood stream, but it's best to eat only the most whole grain form like steel cut.

Audrey

In my store steel cut oats are $5.79 and old fashioned oats are $1.75.

I've been craving oatmeal lately, maybe I'll try the steel cut oats and see if I like them $4 more than the old fashioned.

In my store steel cut oats are $5.79 and old fashioned oats are $1.75.

I've been craving oatmeal lately, maybe I'll try the steel cut oats and see if I like them $4 more than the old fashioned.

You can find them for $3 a box instead of the pricey cans. And there are non-imported brands than are less.

Audrey

I'm guessing you eat bison instead of beef because it's lower in fat.
That’s probably why we started, but we’ve been eating it so long that we prefer it to beef.

We also do brown rice and whole wheat breads and pastas - if you hang onto some carbs, I suspect it's better than foods made from white flour or white rice.
I still enjoy the taste of semolina (but eat very little), but I always preferred brown rice over white. So does my 16 months old granddaughter.:)

You can find them for $3 a box instead of the pricey cans. And there are non-imported brands than are less.
Don’t they also sell oats in bulk for less at Whole Foods?

That’s probably why we started, but we’ve been eating it so long that we prefer it to beef.

I still enjoy the taste of semolina (but eat very little), but I always preferred brown rice over white. So does my 16 months old granddaughter.:)

Don’t they also sell oats in bulk for less at Whole Foods?

Grass-fed beef has a better O6:O3 ratio. Fat has gotten a bad rap...

Avoid the instant and quick cook oats - those are like refined starches and can raise blood sugar levels quickly. Some folks use the steel cut oats which are much slower to digest. In general the soluble fiber in oats helps slow digestion, which helps slow release of sugars into the blood stream, but it's best to eat only the most whole grain form like steel cut.

Audrey

The instant sometimes contain added sugar, so I'd agree to watch out for that regarding glycemic index.

But the rest are just variations in cutting, rolling, and maybe some heating in the process. I'm pretty sure that these are treated the same by our body. Cutting something smaller, or rolling it flat to make it cook faster, or pre-cooking it a bit would all be the same to our system, I would think.

Quaker Oats had this:
All forms of Quaker® Oats, including Steel Cut, Old Fashioned, Quick, and Instant Oats are whole grains. That means they are equally nutritious because they supply all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ. The different size and shape of the oats only affects the cooking time and texture.

I did see a site that said there was a difference, but they also had some info I knew to be wrong - I'd need to see it from a trusted site, and I'd be curious as to the explanation if it is true.

-ERD50

My triglycerides peaked at just under 1200 (Yes 1200) about 23 years ago. I've been on meds ever since. But it wasn't until a combo of Niacin, Fish Oil and very low carbs that things finally came under control. I don't recall the last triglyceride number but total Cholesterol just came in at 111, on a steady diet of meats, cheeses, eggs, nuts and veggies. So I'm sold on low carb.

The instant sometimes contain added sugar, so I'd agree to watch out for that regarding glycemic index.

But the rest are just variations in cutting, rolling, and maybe some heating in the process. I'm pretty sure that these are treated the same by our body. Cutting something smaller, or rolling it flat to make it cook faster, or pre-cooking it a bit would all be the same to our system, I would think.

Quaker Oats had this:

I did see a site that said there was a difference, but they also had some info I knew to be wrong - I'd need to see it from a trusted site, and I'd be curious as to the explanation if it is true.

-ERD50
I think the reference I have is Sandra Woodruff's book - not online. But the processing DOES matter. The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets of ... - Google Books

How quickly food digests does directly affect the GI - the speed of release of sugar into the bloodstream. The more surface area exposed to the stomach (like flattened rolled oats compared to cut groats) the more quickly food is digested. In general, the less processed a food is from it's original whole form, the lower the GI.

The carbohydrate load is the same, the amount of calories is the same, but the speed of release of the sugar into the bloodstream is different, and this is what affects the body's insulin response.

Audrey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom