Trip to Texas in 2016

If you are planning to add Dallas to your visit, I'd suggest a stop in Ft Worth. There are many nice attractions and restaurants in Dallas, but Ft Worth also has a lot to offer. Great museums, including one focusing on Western Art, and a nice "smaller city" feel.

"Most cities have soul, but Dallas must have been at the bank when they passed it around." Austin Lounge Lizards

A few suggestions:

Motorcycle Riding in the Texas Hill Country

https://www.texasstaterr.com/

Czech Stop

Lockhart, TX | The Daytripper

Road Trip: The Borderlands of Texas -- National Geographic

Palo Duro Canyon State Park

Just for size comparison, the DFW Metroplex (Dallas-Fort Worth) is about the size of Connecticut.

Just adding my voice to several others... stay several nights at a hotel right on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, get weird for a day or two in Austin, drive west through the Hill Country, stay at least one night at a B&B in Fredericksburg, drive north up Highway 16 and do the Willow City Loop, then head over to Enchanted Rock for a scenic hike, stop frequently for photo ops among the wildflowers on Highway 965 if you didn't get your fill on the Willow City Loop, keep heading north on Highway 16 through Llano, Cherokee, San Saba, Comanche, and maybe spend an evening at Sundance Square in downtown Fort Worth if you make it that far. Skip Dallas and Houston.

Though many people say to skip Houston, we live near there and we like it quite a bit.

You mentioned that you like museums. There are several very fine museums to see in Houston. The Musem of Fine Arts (MFAH) is world class, and general admission is free on Thursdays, though there is an additional charge for special traveling exhibits. The Rothko Chapel and the Menil Collection emphasize modern art.

There is also a very fine natural science museum, and the Holocaust Museum is something everyone should see. You could easily spend two museum days, and wish you had more time.

There is food from every culture, and also good shopping, if you shop for sport.

Don't just dismiss a stop in Houston.

Last edited:
Here's my list.

Stop in Houston and see NASA and the Battleship Texas. Lots of other attractions (pro sports, art, music) if you're inclined.

Drive to San Antonio and stay on the Riverwalk. Lots to do here and you can park the car and leave it. See the Alamo.

Drive to Hill Country. Lots of choices here. Bed and breakfast in Fredericksburg. TONS on wineries between Fredericksburg and Austin. Nice state parks. River activities. Tubing in New Braunfels?

Next Austin. State capitol? Sixth Street. Tons of music, if you're inclined. Mexican free tailed bats every night at Congress Street bridge.

Link below is a nice free guide.

https://www.traveltex.com/travel-guide

Good luck and enjoy your Texas Vacation!

Start at the San Jacinto Monument/battleship to get an introduction to Texas history. Next to Galveston. Then to Houston, Austin, Fredericksburg, and San Antonio.

If you're up for it, then head further West to Fort Davis, Alpine, Marfa and the Big Bend.

For even more, assuming you have even more time, head to El Paso and back through Guadalupe mountains.

You could go back through Ft. Worth/Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum (that's why it's brief!)

I agree with the suggestions about San Antonio. While there, you might check out the Institute of Texan Cultures which is downtown, not far from Alamo, riverwalk and hotels.

Our Part of Victory | Institute of Texan Cultures

Doesn't sound very sexy but the free boat ride on the Houston Ship Channel is one of the most interesting sites in the area. It is not well advertised and a bit tricky to find, but well worth the adventure.
http://www.portofhouston.com/community-outreach/sam-houston-boat-tour/

Last edited:
I did not know about the Houston boat ride. Have to check it out when in Houston.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Took the Houston Boat ride about two months ago. Nice trip. I think you have to make reservations. (We went with a group). Boat was not crowded. It was about a two hour trip down the ship channel. No food, but they serve water and soft drinks free, about half way through. Some captains are more verbose than others. Overall you can't beat the cost of admission. Free! Went past the place where Santa Ana surrendered to Sam Houston. It was not the San Jacinto Battle grounds, like I always thought.

Back
Top Bottom