Trying to keep from going batty!

I had to wait until a certain point to FIRE even though I was FI a couple of years earlier. I was waiting for retiree medical coverage to kick in. I admit it was hard to mark time and do my job properly, but if you just put it out of your mind during work hours you can manage.

One area where I changed my behavior was in corporate meetings. I just sat there with a goofy smile on my face because I knew nothing they decided would affect me. It was freeing.

I also spent the time trying to manipulate my way into a RIF situation. When one came along I had to force my way into it, because I was pretty highly rated. But I pointed out that I was leaving anyway (by this time I had informed my boss, a friend), and that by RIFing me he'd save both a position and someone else's job, at least for a while. So by managing to get RIFed I was actually able to get out about 9 months earlier without taking any kind of financial hit. I actually came out a bit ahead. So see if you can play any games to improve your plan.

They treated me with respect the entire time and I felt no different demeanor them from them.

I am not sure about someone getting terminated we had only one that I can remember. That person was given time to find a new job so the company did show some love to the people that worked for them.

as long as it was reciprocated. Such consideration seems to be in rare supply these days.

I spent a fair bit of time researching ways to get onto the radar for the next layoff. It worked and I got a very healthy severance which included medical, bonus, etc.

I also dialed back heavily on accepting new (crap) assignments, and worked on succession planning and mentoring my team for better career paths.

I found this tough to deal with. I tried to focus on the work that I had to do and tried not to fixate on the retirement. I found that helped the time go quicker. I would establish work related milestones over the year and focus on knocking those out. It was fun at times, because on some of the milestones you realize that you would not be doing that particular thing ever again. Like many things, when you look forward it feels like forever, but when you look back it feels like the time flew. Best of luck!

AHA Moment. Spend your work time planning how you will spend your retirement time.

Not sure I understand this thought. Retiring early requires "enough" money. Retiring earlier = less money. Retiring earlier than your planned ER date could very well = insufficient money available to support spending. Not everyone is working until they're down to a 2.5% withdrawal rate.

Here is how I thought about it. Lets say you are 50 and you say OMY but have enough to retire now. If you lose OMY of your youth but are able to survive to 100 yo does it matter VS. surviving to 99 and running out of money?

I just found out last week that my mega corp, is offering a "voluntary" retirement buy out for anyone over 55 with at least 10 years of service. Holy smokes, I qualify. The exit dates will be from 6/30/2018 to 03/31/2019 depending on business need.

I won't find out my exit date until I actually pull the trigger. I just turned 60. This exit is about two years earlier than I expected but with each passing day, I hope I get the June exit although the 03/31/2019 would give me another year to sock away money.

I have a meeting with my Financial Planner on 3/19 to go over the package and see how it impacts my plans for the future.

I never saw this coming and am actually excited about it.

Great news! This happens fairly often these days, as companies are always downsizing employees. Take advantage of the opportunity to get out a little earlier with some extra money. Hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom