Tucson Rock and Mineral Shows

DrRoy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We are visiting Tucson AZ for the Rock and Mineral show season for the first time. I have a list of 60 satellite events including the main show. I have some guidance on the better ones to stop into, but I just thought I would ask if anyone has gone, and can you suggest a top 10 beyond the main show?

I go every year, but for the higher end gem shows, the trade-only events. For nicer specimens, I'd stick to the big tent shows. KINO is huge, you will spend half a day there easily. The JOGS show at the EXPO center is one of the few in a real building, and has some good vendors for nice rocks. They need a pre-reg but not a trade-only event. Near to that is the G&LW holidome, which is trade-only, but partners with two big gem mall tents that are open to the public with some mineral vendors (but these tents are a hodge podge of jewelry and other things too.

Pueblo one downtown near the main AGTA/GJX the other side of the highway is big and has a lot of vendors - open to the public.

There is a "Tucson Gem and Mineral" show that runs after most of the main ones that I've never been too, as that runs after AGTA closes, but that's probably a good one for minerals.

I tend to avoid the smaller ones in the motels as they literally have you going through individual motel rooms with the stuff spread out and I just found it too odd, and it's not what I'm looking for anyway.

Hope you have rooms booked!

Had the others, but added KINO to my list. Thanks.

Wow this is almost in my backyard being I am in Phoenix. Always assumed it was similar to the little Rock shows we have been to locally that last a few days. This seems like a major event. We know almost nothing about rocks but have purchased a few small pieces over the years we really liked.
If a newbie were going to attend the Tucson event where should they focus? Why is the event weeks long? Are all the good rocks gone in short order? How does one know if they are over paying for a rock. Is it polite to bargain and of so what kind of offer should you make and not offend the sellers?

Attachments

• IMG20240103194553.jpg
    IMG20240103194553.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20240103194543.jpg
    IMG20240103194543.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 18
If a newbie were going to attend the Tucson event where should they focus? Why is the event weeks long? Are all the good rocks gone in short order? How does one know if they are over paying for a rock. Is it polite to bargain and of so what kind of offer should you make and not offend the sellers?

You focus on what you want. DrRoy might want small delicate high quality specimens. You might want a 5 ft tall geode, or a small lamp made of agate.

Then there are many shows catering to beaders and hobbyists, and small scale manufacturers. And all grades - I'm there to shop for high quality gemstones and beads, and silver jewelry components.

There are also shows of actual jewelers selling to wholesale buyers.

It's literally dozens of big and small shows spread out over all of Tucson, not just downtown. Tents, convention spaces, hotels and motels. Most shows will run a week or two, some more some less, depending on their space and location.

My first year I pre-mapped about a dozen shows. In subsequent years I nailed that down to about 6. Nowadays I just go to 3-4, but I spend a full day at each. Neither of you would want to go to mine, but there's something for everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_134737507.jpg
    IMG_20220204_134737507.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190208_102036492_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190208_102036492_HDR.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180203_130225.jpg
    IMG_20180203_130225.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'm not close enough to go to that particular show, but I definitely have all the same questions you do! I *LOVE* rocks, pretty or not, although I guess I never became much of a collector before because I didn't know how to answer those questions. I may start buying with a pallasite meteorite, this one really has me transfixed:
s-l1600.jpg

You focus on what you want. DrRoy might want small delicate high quality specimens. You might want a 5 ft tall geode, or a small lamp made of agate.

Then there are many shows catering to beaders and hobbyists, and small scale manufacturers. And all grades - I'm there to shop for high quality gemstones and beads, and silver jewelry components.

It's literally dozens of big and small shows spread out over all of Tucson, not just downtown. Tents, convention spaces, hotels and motels. Most shows will run a week or two, some more some less, depending on their space and location.

My first year I pre-mapped about a dozen shows. In subsequent years I nailed that down to about 6. Nowadays I just go to 3-4, but I spend a full day at each. Neither of you would want to go to mine, but there's something for everyone.

Thanks for the reply. Those pictures are cool. So I just want to look for the most part at cool out if this world rocks in one day is there one don't miss exhibit you could recommend?
Is there a website or YouTube video you would recommend to learn more about these cool rocks?
What about price negotiations? Is it an acceptable practice? The one outdoor event we went to we had one guy sense we were interested in a price and he started lowering his price as we walked away. Is it like car shopping..if you don't ask you don't get.... discount that is...

I'm not close enough to go to that particular show, but I definitely have all the same questions you do! I *LOVE* rocks, pretty or not, although I guess I never became much of a collector before because I didn't know how to answer those questions. I may start buying with a pallasite meteorite, this one really has me transfixed:
s-l1600.jpg

Is that rock yours? It is really cool.
Any favorite websites or videos you can recommend?

I used to enjoy watching some of those shows. I haven't watched recently as I don't want to be tempted . . .

Thanks for the reply. Those pictures are cool. So I just want to look for the most part at cool out if this world rocks in one day is there one don't miss exhibit you could recommend?
Is there a website or YouTube video you would recommend to learn more about these cool rocks?
What about price negotiations? Is it an acceptable practice? The one outdoor event we went to we had one guy sense we were interested in a price and he started lowering his price as we walked away. Is it like car shopping..if you don't ask you don't get.... discount that is...

Again, you have to do some research to find which of the dozens of shows would appeal to you personally, as there is a very wide range of items at each. Just google on tuscon gem shows and you'll find where there are lists with photos and vendors and what to expect.

From what you've said, if you were to just do the 2 hour drive down and walk around for a day, I'd probably hit up Kino, 22nd St, and Pueblo. They are all pretty central and located along the main highway.

As far as haggling, I'm sure that works at some, I haven't been outside of the wholesale gem trade shows for years though.

Again, you have to do some research to find which of the dozens of shows would appeal to you personally, as there is a very wide range of items at each. Just google on tuscon gem shows and you'll find where there are lists with photos and vendors and what to expect.

From what you've said, if you were to just do the 2 hour drive down and walk around for a day, I'd probably hit up Kino, 22nd St, and Pueblo. They are all pretty central and located along the main highway.

As far as haggling, I'm sure that works at some, I haven't been outside of the wholesale gem trade shows for years though.

Thanks for the reply, I will do some more Googling....:greetings10:

Is that rock yours? It is really cool.
Any favorite websites or videos you can recommend?
No, I'm in pretty much the same place as you, trying figure out how to buy when I don't know much about it. That one is around $850, so I'll probably start with a smaller pallasite meteorite section. I might need to figure out how to coat it, as the dark part (in between the amber parts) is made of iron, and will oxidize if not protected.

DrRoy,

DW & I have been attending the various Tucson Gem & Mineral shows since the early 90s (we live there duh:facepalm:). I can offer a few comments in addition to the ones above.

1. Presuming you don't have a tax ID tied to a Gem/Lapidary business, plan on skipping the wholesale only shows. The shows open to the public will have wholesale discounts (Keystone to dealers) but that's no biggy. DW used to be in the trade but now we skip the wholesale racket.

2. One show per day, give yourselves some time. I would pack a lunch & water. Many of the shows have a "Food Court" which consists of a bunch of gut trucks. If you watch the food prep you'll take my advice. If you want more than one venue per day there is a free shuttle (get the show books at the airport or at the 1st show you attend, or at your hotel).

3. Remember this is High Season in AZ and this will be one big zona tourista experience. It's also snowbird season. So be patient. It's also pickpocket heaven, so pin your valuables in your front pocket. If you pause for a while and observe the crowds you can watch them work. Dress like a local (VERY informal) and you'll blend right in. Also, people pack heat here so don't let that bother you.

4. Depending on your interests, if you've ever wondered where all the flea market /craft show venders get their bling its here. Nothing wrong with that but soon one venue will look like another. You will meet people from all over the world.

5. Our faves; well we've narrowed it down since DW finds it much easier to purchase on-line for her lapidary needs. We skip the "Big Show" at the convention center, once was enough. The KINO/TEP venue is worth attending. It's bloated out over the years and quite frankly the only things we've bought there the past few years are the tie dye stuff from the hippies from Oregon. We still browse all day and there is a lot to see. The Venues along the interstate frontage road from Congress St to 22nd St are great. You can see them all in one day if you park midway in a paid lot, there's only 1/2 mile walk in either direction. I'd also recommend the American Indian Fine Arts Show if you want to meet the artists from the various nations. Also, Kents Tools is nearby if you need lapidary tools/supplies.

6. Wear a big hat & drink plenty of bottled water, it's super dry and the weather may vary. Park early or you may be out of luck. Ignore the panhandlers and be amazed at all the homeless ( I think they migrate here in the winter).:(

Sorry for the long wind but I'd thought I'd make a few comments.

HTH

_B

The Moroccans love to haggle!

I lived in Tucson for 40 years and went to the gem and mineral show many days per year the last 10 or so. If you give us an idea of what you are looking for and why you are going I (and others) might be able to give you some specific tips and suggestions. I completely agree with the advice so far for the big shows. But there are many niche shows as well.

ETA: Some of the niche shows include shows for rockhounds, fossils, high end gems, meteorites, and so forth. Personally I like going in the motel rooms but I agree, it can sometimes be a little creepy and weird. But they really just want to sell you stuff so they are pretty safe, at least the ones I've been too mostly along I-10 and downtown.

Last edited:
I haven't made it to the Tuscon Show but have been to the Ouray Show and others back east. I collect mining lamps and other mining antiques, meeting lots of interesting folks, rocks and artifacts. I haggle and bargain all the time.

The gem show is always on my calendar. No over night doctors appointments, rooms get filled up quickly and prices get jacked up.

Got me interested (not that I would fly to Tuscon) so I checked locally and found this:

https://honolulu.show/

The show probably doesn't hold a candle to Tucson, but it looks like fun and could be educational. Note the availability of discounted rooms in the site. Heh, heh, that could be a good vacation for a week! Rocks, minerals, sand and surf. YMMV

Got me interested (not that I would fly to Tuscon) so I checked locally and found this:

https://honolulu.show/

The show probably doesn't hold a candle to Tucson, but it looks like fun and could be educational. Note the availability of discounted rooms in the site. Heh, heh, that could be a good vacation for a week! Rocks, minerals, sand and surf. YMMV

It's the same people that put on one of the "Big 3" shows in Tucson so you never know.

Gem and Mineral shows happen all over the country in some degree/scale/frequency.

Here in S.Fla it kinda stinks as the good ones might stop in Orlando but not often further. There are shows in Vegas around Memorial Day, and a big Rock show in Denver in early september.

For the hobbyists, just google in your area and no doubt you'll find something to visit for an afternoon once or twice a year. Tucson is mecca for the die hards or locals.

If you give us an idea of what you are looking for and why you are going I (and others) might be able to give you some specific tips and suggestions. I completely agree with the advice so far for the big shows. But there are many niche shows as well.

ETA: Some of the niche shows include shows for rockhounds, fossils, high end gems, meteorites, and so forth. Personally I like going in the motel rooms but I agree, it can sometimes be a little creepy and weird. But they really just want to sell you stuff so they are pretty safe, at least the ones I've been too mostly along I-10 and downtown.

I attached a couple of my favorite pieces. I have a small, 1 ft amethyst cathedral and might like a 2-3 footer. Also have a couple ammonite fossils, trilobites, and multiple other pieces of rock or crystal that just caught my eye.

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    642.6 KB · Views: 5
I attached a couple of my favorite pieces. I have a small, 1 ft amethyst cathedral and might like a 2-3 footer. Also have a couple ammonite fossils, trilobites, and multiple other pieces of rock or crystal that just caught my eye.

With the caveat that it has been 10 years since I was in Tucson and probably 11 since I went to the gem shows, here are a couple of suggestions for fossils, ammonites, and amethysts:

The Moroccans will be your best bet for good deals on fossils and ammonites. Most of them come from that part of the world so if you buy from anyone else it was likely bought from a Moroccan and marked up. They usually set up in tents around the general area of Speedway Blvd and Stone Ave or Drachman/Stone but they were not always in the same place every year.

Amethysts can be found all over the place. I would suggest Tucson Electric Park is a good place to start but there used to be some South Americans (many of the big amethysts come from mines in Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay) that set up at hotels along I-10 (the Days Inn comes to mind but I may be mistaken because I knew the shows by where they were and not necessarily the names of the hotels. I think it may be the Red Lion Inn now)

I always enjoyed going through the "fossil warehouse" (my term) at about 1658 N. Oracle. It looks like it is called the Co-op Mineral and Fossil Gallery now. It's cool because they have a lot of huge fossils, mostly for sale to museums but if you can afford them they sell to individuals as well. Or you can just look. They usually have numerous full dinosaur skeletons.

A final word of advice...there are people there from all over the world that come to sell and you will be exposed to a very wide variety of cultures, business practices, foods, and frankly, hygiene standards. Just go with the flow. It is common every year to hear of people getting ripped off but these are almost always at private meetings in hotel rooms, not at the shows, not even at the hotel room shows during the day. The Moroccans expect you to haggle. The Chinese are much more rigid and business like. Even though haggling is done in China from what I hear, I never was successful in getting them to do it at the gem show. In general, the smaller vendors are much more likely to haggle, especially toward the end of the show. You are also much more likely to find unique pieces with the smaller vendors.

Back
Top Bottom