TurboTax disc $54.88, download $69.99. What?

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, now that the dividends are posted, I want to optimize our giving. This weekend I want to do a quick pre-run of our taxes, and I figure I might as well use 2019 rules software.

Go to Amazon and see TurboTax Premier download for $69.99. That's no deal. Look deeper and see the disc version for $54.88, and with same day delivery.

What? How can this possibly make sense? A physical product, delivered by vehicle, is 22% cheaper than the download?

I'm happy with this as I like having the disc. Just makes it easier to recover when I blow out a SSD as I did this year. I'll save 22% by waiting a few hours.

Attachments

• turbo.JPG
    turbo.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 72
How much is your time worth?
Download and install took minutes. First update was more time.
Was working on my taxes in November within 30 minutes of purchase.
CD gets delivered same day - maybe.

Well, it's not November, it is Dec 27 and I've been sitting on this forever. I'm not in much of a rush.

But your point is well taken. Perhaps other people right now need the SW to evaluate their tax situation to drop a charitable contribution, or close out a year. So, yeah, those daylight working hours on this Friday may matter, and perhaps I just caught it in a weird window of time.

Well, it's not November, it is Dec 27 and I've been sitting on this forever. I'm not in much of a rush.

But your point is well taken. Perhaps other people right now need the SW to evaluate their tax situation to drop a charitable contribution, or close out a year. So, yeah, those daylight working hours on this Friday may matter, and perhaps I just caught it in a weird window of time.
Sounds like inventory algorithm kicked in and they need to clear out lots of physical media that ain't high on buy lists anymore.

I was surprised that most of my previous turbotax downloads were still in my amazon library. Several benefits to the download route, IMO.

By Turkey Day I usually have TT installed, so I can re-evaluate tax payments, what-if, business profit, and so on.

So, now that the dividends are posted, I want to optimize our giving. This weekend I want to do a quick pre-run of our taxes, and I figure I might as well use 2019 rules software. ...

Use the What-If worksheet in your 2018 TT and check the use 2019 tax tables box.

Anyone seeing the free download link in their Fidelity account yet?

Use the What-If worksheet in your 2018 TT and check the use 2019 tax tables box.
Good info. I did not know about the "use future year" box! I'll do that next December (since the disc is on its way right now).

Anyone seeing the free download link in their Fidelity account yet?

I didn't get free TT from Fidelity last year. When I asked, they told me (that despite over 30 years with them and low 7-figures in assets) my "relationship did not qualify" for it any more. As a result, I moved all my IRA accounts to another firm.

Where are you seeing the free TT link? I don't see anything right now but I don't remember where to look.

I didn't get free TT from Fidelity last year. When I asked, they told me (that despite over 30 years with them and low 7-figures in assets) my "relationship did not qualify" for it any more. As a result, I moved all my IRA accounts to another firm.

Where are you seeing the free TT link? I don't see anything right now but I don't remember where to look.

I was asking if anyone has seen it yet to let me know where it is. I've gotten it the past few years and likewise expect to this year. I'll just drop an email to my rep, since it seems about the time when it becomes available.

I was asking if anyone has seen it yet to let me know where it is. I've gotten it the past few years and likewise expect to this year. I'll just drop an email to my rep, since it seems about the time when it becomes available.

Talked to Fido rep a couple of days ago because I hadn't seen the link show up yet. Was told it would be a couple of weeks but that it would be coming.

+1

I was going to post about the immediate gratification of downloading vs waiting for delivery is probably why to price difference.

I prefer the no rush and lazy approach as I ordered TT Deluxe, with Amazon no rush shipping to get $1 digital credit.

I'm in no rush to do my 2019 taxes. Might as use earn a $1 credit to sit back and watch a movie :cool:.

Talked to Fido rep a couple of days ago because I hadn't seen the link show up yet. Was told it would be a couple of weeks but that it would be coming.

Thanks - appreciate it.

+1

I was going to post about the immediate gratification of downloading vs waiting for delivery is probably why to price difference.

I prefer the no rush and lazy approach as I ordered TT Deluxe, with Amazon no rush shipping to get $1 digital credit.

I'm in no rush to do my 2019 taxes. Might as use earn a $1 credit to sit back and watch a movie :cool:.

I regularly break up my Amazon orders into multiple single-item no-rush orders to accumulate $1 credits faster. They still consolidate and send all together, but I get the multiple credits.

Just noted this on Costco website, Premier w State download for $54.99...instant gratification and the discount!

Attachments

• 4B1451AB-939D-44AF-9871-B61CE427FE22.jpeg
    4B1451AB-939D-44AF-9871-B61CE427FE22.jpeg
    921.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Got the Costco Premier disk price yesterday. Paid $51-52 last year & figured waiting longer to see if it dropped further wasn't worth it. I did open the cover at store to check it was 2019 as the cover doesn't say though the bar code does.

Last edited:
Here's hoping JoeWras got his CD.

I'm in no rush either. But I'm closer to knowing the whole truth. LOL

We're in a stretch of years now, where two employed persons dropped to 1.66, and 1.00 next year. With self-employment and a few other income things, I need to be more certain about fed taxes.

Go to Amazon and see TurboTax Premier download for $69.99. That's no deal. Look deeper and see the disc version for $54.88, and with same day delivery.

What? How can this possibly make sense? A physical product, delivered by vehicle, is 22% cheaper than the download?

The PC download on Amazon is now $54.88 just like the disc. Mac version is $54.99.

At this moment, if you take the PC/Mac download, it also includes a $10 Amazon Gift Card, but the price is $54.99 (11 pennies more on the PC download)

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Premier-Software-Exclusive-Download/dp/B07YH3XNR6

att1.jpg

Last edited:
any advantage with the CD or download over the online version other than the cost? Thanks

Here's hoping JoeWras got his CD.

I'm in no rush either. But I'm closer to knowing the whole truth. LOL
It came at 7pm last night and I've been working today to enter my taxes (rough, estimated 1099s).

any advantage with the CD or download over the online version other than the cost? Thanks
You have something in your hand? Don't have to rely on some software storage and reload system? Downsides to it too: you can lose the CD and its license. EDIT: I was talking about CD vs download. You asked about ONLINE. Online is slightly different and I find the UI to be a bit wonky. And despite security and https, I just prefer my tax info not be pinging servers. Oh, and then the server can go down, etc.

Probably a preference. I've got 25 years of discs so it is a habit. I may make a collage or something out of them someday. :)

The whole dynamic pricing thing is crazy. The $0.11 difference must be out there to tickle someone's algorithm.

That's good news. I was starting to get concerned. The link normally shows up mid-December-ish.

Do you all have the same Fido rep every time? I guess I don't call them very much to even know.

Regardless, what does it take to qualify? I know it used to be based on transactions, but with zero fee trades, I'm thinking the qualification requirements have changed.

Do you all have the same Fido rep every time? I guess I don't call them very much to even know.

Regardless, what does it take to qualify? I know it used to be based on transactions, but with zero fee trades, I'm thinking the qualification requirements have changed.

This is one of the great mysteries of the universe... like quantum entanglement. Nobody knows for sure. Here's what I "think" I understand from prior year's discussions about this:

1. There is a $20 discount for any Fidelity customer.

2. Active traders can get free TT Premiere. Requires 120+ trades per year and $25K.

The two above are advertised, IIRC.

3. The one that's not advertised is that "some" Private Client Group (PCG) members get Premier for free and some don't. It's not clear why. But it appears that you have to actually establish a relationship with a PCG rep/adviser and then that adviser has to "push a button" somewhere that makes the link appear on your homescreen in December. I've received it every year for ~5 years now, which was immediately following a series of phone calls I had with our PCG rep. The subject of TT never came up. Other PCG members have posted that they called their rep and asked about it and then started receiving it. I've received it every year even though my rep has changed several times.

To make this even muddier, it's not entirely clear what the criteria is for PCG. Some say it's $1M in assets at Fidelity. But it's not clear if that includes workplace retirement accounts, spouses accounts, etc. And I don't think the criteria is written anywhere. Additionally, we met that criteria many years before we were assigned a PCG rep. It happened after I made a phone call asking if I could talk with a PCG rep. Then we had a series of phone calls and emails. Then the link for free TT Premier started appearing each December.

That's all I know. And someone will probably be along shortly to dispute most of it. And they may be right.

Just did an estimate on my 2019 tax based on initial values.

Holy crap, I'm really just realizing now how little fed tax I need to pay when DW and I don't have W-2s to our name.

I think this retirement thing is finally sinking in.

Last edited:
Just did an estimate on my 2019 tax based on initial values.

Holy crap, I'm really just realizing now how little fed tax I need to pay when DW and I don't have W-2s to our name.

I think this retirement thing is finally sinking in.

Yeah, I feel the same way although that was last year for me. I find myself grumbling when I have income to declare (inherited IRA RMDs, withdrawals from an inherited annuity, wife's little pension, interest and capital gains). A first-world problem to be sure. Now I'm learning to fill my tax bracket with Roth conversions.

But compared to when DW and I were both mining salt and had no dependents, taxes are peanuts.

Back
Top Bottom