Twenty-Two Years ago Today

What a great success story! So happy for you.

I signed up for organ donation long ago, though I doubt my 71 year old organs would be that helpful to anyone, heh. heh. DW has failing kidneys and may need a transplant (or dialysis) eventually. I'm guessing when the time comes, she will be considered to be too old. Kidney doc is not hopeful for a transplant but thinks she just might squeak through a normal life (maybe 80+) before kidney failure is fatal. I've offered one of my kidneys as a "trade" but mine are on the downhill slide as well (age appropriate.)

Guess none of us gets out of here alive, but what a time to be around and see what can be done to give us more quality time. YMMV

Mike, you're a good man. I loved your story and am very touched.

I must say it bothers me that the great majority refuse to donate their body parts upon death. What would bother me, even more, are those that receive body parts from donors who themselves refuse to donate upon death.

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong "on the great majority" statement. Reading one website said 54% have signed donor cards. I hope it's that high, that's encouraging.

Last edited:
Congratulations Mike!

I have friend with a similar history, kidney/pancreas transplant about 18+ yrs ago. His diabetes has also returned.

Like you, he cherishes every day he has on this planet, regardless of the health challenges he faces. He used to joke that the only reason he had kids was for spare parts.

Keep up the good vibes, it’s infectious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom